3M Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 03:44 PM
NISMO_GUY2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Clear Bra

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to the forum...
I've got an '03 Z Track Edition in the Super Black. I've seen quite a few posts promoting the benefits of the clear bra and I wanted some feedback on the product from those who have it...

Is it worth it? Alot of people say that it's protecting the front end/bumper of their car from stone chips, etc. but since it is only a thin piece of film, will it really prevent you from getting scratches and chips?

Also, did it affect the look of your car any? Did you notice a difference between protected and unprotected areas in terms of color, shine, etc.?

Thanks for any comments. I want to get opinions before dropping the cash...
Old 01-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Z_Coaster

Overall I'm very happy with my clear bra. It definetly helps protect against chips and scratches. As for color, no issues there. The only complaint is the cost. I paid $600 for the front end, front part of the hood, and side mirrors.

If you do decide to get it, be VERY careful with who does the work. Look for someone with experience and a clean work environment. Inexperience may cause mis-alignment of the bra and/or stretching. Dirty environment may cause foreign objects to get under the bra when applied.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:25 PM
EL Diablo

Get it or you will be sorry.

Use the Search tool to find lots of threads on this subject.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with my clear bra as well. I've had to have the front bumper painted because of the gravel trucks on our local freeways. Now when I hear the rocks bounce off the front end I don't freak out anymore. So far lot's of hits and no chips!!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:57 AM
stockjock

Originally posted by Z_Coaster
Overall I'm very happy with my clear bra. It definetly helps protect against chips and scratches. As for color, no issues there. The only complaint is the cost. I paid $600 for the front end, front part of the hood, and side mirrors.

If you do decide to get it, be VERY careful with who does the work. Look for someone with experience and a clean work environment. Inexperience may cause mis-alignment of the bra and/or stretching. Dirty environment may cause foreign objects to get under the bra when applied.
Please tell me who applied your clear bra. Do you feel they are one of the best in the Seattle/Eastside area? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Z_Coaster

Originally posted by stockjock
Please tell me who applied your clear bra. Do you feel they are one of the best in the Seattle/Eastside area? Thanks.

You have a PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:34 PM
cwerdna

Originally posted by Z_Coaster
You have a PM.
If you could post it publicly, that'd be great. I'm thinking about getting it done on my Z (I have one on my Max, which REALLY needed it, the paint chipped REALLY easily).

Nothing wrong w/the person that did it on my Max but I wanna price shop a bit.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Z_Coaster

my PM to stockjock:

I went to a place called stonegard located behind the BMW dealership on Northrup. The first time they installed it, it was a mess. small little foreign objects under the bra along with stretches. The second time was much better, but still not really satisfied. I don't want to risk a third and have it worse than the second time. I basically gave up being picky and kept what I had. I'm not sure who to go to, but my Nissan dealership told me that they people that do their cars is very experienced. Maybe you can give them a call and ask them who their clear bra guy is? Dealer = Campbell Nelson Nissan.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Chris S27

can wax be applied over the clear bra? That's my concern....the paint will be shiney and waxed elsewhere...but what about over the bra?
Old 01-13-2004, 05:24 AM
mickey

Default Can clearbra be applied to aftermarket bumper?

Is the clearbra "precut" to fit the vehicle?
If so, how would it fit with aftermarket front bumper?

Rgd,
Mickey
Old 01-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Chris S27

mickey, usually they're precut pieces that fit standard bumpers, panels, etc. I would think with an aftermarket bumper, it could be done, but it would be a custom job basically. it would be more labor intensive, hence cost more!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:11 AM
D_Nyholm

just be aware that the shine where the clear bra is is less. It looks Orange peeled (a painting term). Think of the surface of an orange and how it is all bumpy. That is what the clear bra does. It isn't horrible, but you will notice it!

I have it done and I would do it again in a second!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Chris S27

Yeah, I'm all too aware of what orange peel is... It's not a desired effect, IMHO.

Thanks though.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:58 AM
richhoward

Hey guys,
What about taking the car to car wash? or doing a pressure wash, will it rip the clear bra off?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Chris S27

Originally posted by richhoward
Hey guys,
What about taking the car to car wash? or doing a pressure wash, will it rip the clear bra off?
<cringe> Yikes, shame shame... You shouldn't be taking your car to an auto carwash anyways....so that takes care of that one... Unless you're fond of nasty swirl marks all over your paint?

That said, I doubt a carwash would hurt it....many people use these, and I've never heard anything about a carwash damaging it. It's secured pretty well! As for the pressure wash, again....not reccommended for the health of your paint....but shouldnt hurt the clear bra unless it's shot from very close proximity right at the edge of the bra itself.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Z_Coaster

Not sure about the car wash since I've never taken my baby through one. But like Chris S27 says, it's on there pretty good and don't think it will come off.

As for waxing, I've done it and it doesn't look any different. The only problem is when the wax/wax dust gets on the edge of the bra. If you don't get all the wax off, it makes it much easier to see the edges of the bra because of the white dust. I usually either don't wax around the edges of the bra, or run my finger nail w/ terry cloth along the edge to get the wax off.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:01 PM
iwalktheline

Default 3M clear armor

When I got my Z, I didn't know about the clear armor or maybe it wasn't even on the market yet but I wish I had gotton it right off the bat. I understand it's good against rock chips and stuff flying at the car up to speeds of 150-160 MPH.
If you get it, keep it off the hood 'cause you can notice it there.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:17 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Chris S27
<cringe> Yikes, shame shame... You shouldn't be taking your car to an auto carwash anyways....so that takes care of that one... Unless you're fond of nasty swirl marks all over your paint?

Only car washes that use those big "slappers" or some of physical contact will leave swirl marks. There are other washes that use only soap and high water pressure rather than physical contact. These "no contact" washes should not damage your paint. (Although I've found they tend to wear down the wax sooner than hand washes because of the high water pressure.)
Old 01-14-2004, 05:21 AM
gooters

Dont put a hi-pressure hose to close to it
Old 01-14-2004, 11:18 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by gooters
Dont put a hi-pressure hose to close to it

How come? Does it actually cause damage, or just strip away the wax?

On thate note, the touchless auto-washes don't use *too* high of a pressure. I've been through a lot of them with my other cars, and they've never seemed to even take my wax off.

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra