Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What to get First?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
amossa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would start with wheels and coilovers. those will really set your car apart from the crowd. just make sure you get bbk friendly offsets.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 PM
ohw

Did you replace your tail lights?

To determine what to get first, you need to determine what you want it to do first. Do you want to to:
- go faster?
- turn better?
- look different?
- stop quicker?
- sound better?

Last edited by ohw; 09-28-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM
stuartc323

https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/...to-your-z.html
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Zoco

Ok first off the car is paid off. Second I'm not a new owner I have had this for a year. I don't want power upgrades just yet. I would like to start with looks as well as braking and handling.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok well if you have 10k to spend then you shouldn't have a problem purchasing all those parts.

What is the point of this thread?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Josh|Swag

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
Ok well if you have 10k to spend then you shouldn't have a problem purchasing all those parts.

What is the point of this thread?
Get off his case man, come on. The point of this thread is for him to obtain advice on what he should spend his money on.

Okay, you want both looks and performance upgrades.

IMO -
First off, if you can afford OEM Brembos (which we all now know that you can), you should go with coilovers rather than springs. Coilovers will bring you performance + greatly increase the look of the car.
As Waizzz said, to go along with this you should get some wheels to go with it.
To achieve a good look on the Z as far as wheels go, you should get something along the lines of 18x10 or 19x9.5/10.5 (and low offsets, especially if you want to upgrade to a bbk). Anything smaller than these sizes tends to not look so good on the Z.

You could start there.

Last edited by Josh|Swag; 09-28-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Originally Posted by KingBaby
+1

all this isn't to beat up on you. Just a little hindsight.

pay it off first

buy a shift **** in the mean while

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Read this.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Zoco

Originally Posted by Josh|Swag
Get off his case man, come on. The point of this thread is for him to obtain advice on what he should spend his money on.

Okay, you want both looks and performance upgrades.

IMO -
First off, if you can afford OEM Brembos (which we all now know that you can), you should go with coilovers rather than springs. Coilovers will bring you performance + greatly increase the look of the car.
As Waizzz said, to go along with this you should get some wheels to go with it.
To achieve a good look on the Z as far as wheels go, you should get something along the lines of 18x10 or 19x9.5/10.5 (and low offsets, especially if you want to upgrade to a bbk). Anything smaller than these sizes tends to not look so good on the Z.

You could start there.
Thanks, greatly appreciate it. For wheels I have also found it hard to find 18x10 in a good offset. I am currently looking up OEM brembos and is a grand too much for them in great condition?

KW coils are good too right?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Josh|Swag

Originally Posted by dykel3fiddyz
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
His car is paid off, you obviously didn't read through the thread

Originally Posted by Zoco
Thanks, greatly appreciate it. For wheels I have also found it hard to find 18x10 in a good offset. I am currently looking up OEM brembos and is a grand too much for them in great condition?

KW coils are good too right?
Yeah, KW are pretty reputable coilovers, you'll be fine with them!

As far as the wheels go, if you don't mind the extra few lbs, if I were you I'd go with 19's.
The typical rule of thumb is:
- 18's provide better performance (weigh less, obviously)
- 19's provide better looks (although the extra weight makes little to no difference)

19's fit perfectly under the wheel-well of the Z IMO.
Granted, I still don't think you can go wrong with 18's, they're what my car sits on.

Whatever you do, take your time picking out what to add to your car. Search through every page of my350z if it is what it takes for you to find the wheels you like. Don't be hasty, do your research.

Some advice on finding wheel sizes etc. with good offsets - go look through these threads :

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ns-thread.html

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ns-thread.html

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...s-welcome.html
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM
stuartc323

Ok first off the car is paid off. Second I'm not a new owner I have had this for a year. I don't want power upgrades just yet. I would like to start with looks as well as braking and handling.
if your not a new owner than search, there are many threads to answer your questions and than when we give the advice to you you get mad. I will give you some advice, there are better brake kits than the oem brembos especially if you have a 10k budget, try Z1motorsports.com, they have a ton of cheap big brake kits, also they have some good coilovers, look at th BC racing ones and they have the KW ones as well both around 1100
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM
dykel3fiddyz

[QUOTE=Josh|Swag;9898289]His car is paid off, you obviously didn't read through the thread

Sure didn't.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM
JDSMotoring
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should define the goals of your car. daily driver? street/weekend car? track car? so you can put together an adequate budget and look for the right brands.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
if your not a new owner than search, there are many threads to answer your questions and than when we give the advice to you you get mad. I will give you some advice, there are better brake kits than the oem brembos especially if you have a 10k budget, try Z1motorsports.com, they have a ton of cheap big brake kits, also they have some good coilovers, look at th BC racing ones and they have the KW ones as well both around 1100
BC coilovers are a big NO , he wants to improve his car. KW V1 to Clubsports would be a great choice. Even a spring and shock combo may work great for him.

OEM Brembo for $1k , not to bad , for that price they should be in great condition.

Sway bars help a lot, endlinks are not needed unless you are going to corner balance the car. If you run lower settings, OEM endlinks will last for years. If you tighten the bars up a lot ( most idiots do run them at max stiffness thinking handling is improved, it's not) you wear them out quick, high sway bar rates are only needed for wide stick R compound tires.

18 vs 19 inch wheel debate , 18's for the track , 19 for street. If you need a wheel for both, run 18's.

why so?
Bushings wear over time, they also really wear fast if the car is lowered.

Last edited by terrasmak; 09-30-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Zoco

Originally Posted by JDSMotoring
you should define the goals of your car. daily driver? street/weekend car? track car? so you can put together an adequate budget and look for the right brands.
It is my dd, but I want to improve a lot of the stuff. I guess 10k is too much for it probably save it for something else. It needs better brakes for sure. I did just get new touring wheel, so wheels are coming for a while. If I do suspension might as well do sway bars with it. Cusco sways and KW coils, unless better springs and struts are just as good.

The car will not see track time, but it will be auto crossed a through out the year.

For power, I realize the DE is not that great of a engine unless I go FI. Even with that it will cost me so much its not worth it at all. So forget power gains unless you guys know something I dont.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

For power, I realize the DE is not that great of a engine unless I go FI. Even with that it will cost me so much its not worth it at all. So forget power gains unless you guys know something I dont.
DE is a great NA motor, very quick in stock form. Just way to many ricers believe extra HP is all that matters. Mild bolt ons and tune work great for a couple extra ponies, but the motor is very capable of getting the car moving well in stock form.

Autocross and DD, grab a set of 3.7 or 3.9 gears.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Zoco

Originally Posted by terrasmak
DE is a great NA motor, very quick in stock form. Just way to many ricers believe extra HP is all that matters. Mild bolt ons and tune work great for a couple extra ponies, but the motor is very capable of getting the car moving well in stock form.

Autocross and DD, grab a set of 3.7 or 3.9 gears.
I have also heard a lighter fly wheel helps the engine rev quicker and smoother, but its a lot louder.

On the car currently I have a 5/16 spacer, nismo cat back and a kn drop in.

Would a 06 rev up intake box really be worth it? Same for headers and high flow cats?

Im not a huge fan of test pipes. They do give you a cel, I know you can fix it somehow havent really looked up how. Also they are bit too loud for me and a dd.

Then finally for power I was thinking cams...idk if i wanna go through all that though.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

If you want cams you need headers and test pipes or HFC. Flywheel is always nice. The 06 air box would be great
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Zoco

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If you want cams you need headers and test pipes or HFC. Flywheel is always nice. The 06 air box would be great
Thanks very much. I think I'm going to start with sway bars and then maybe suspension later. Brakes will come later and so will engine mods.