Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Buying 350z, need a little help inspecting for potential problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
bmcmvox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying 350z, need a little help inspecting for potential problems

On Monday, I will be heading down to the car lot to check out a `03 350z. The only thing I am worried about is it has 107k miles (171K KM) on it. The dealer is asking $12,000 (I live in Canada where we get ripped) and i already told the rep on the phone that I will be talking them down IE the car is reaching a point where issues will start to arise more often. I will be shooting for 10k all in including taxes. I dont drive much, I probably put about 4000 KM on a car in a year (I live a 10 minute walk from work and there is a shopping mall 1km away).`I plan on keeping this car forever, or at least for a very long time and it won`t be my daily driver (already have a `03 Nissan altima) so it might only even get about 2000k a year but I am still worried about potential problems that will spring up right away.

What are some things to check other than the tire feathering problem, power windows, grinding on 3rd.... What parts of the car should I visually inspect that might be an issue on a 03 Z?

thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 AM
JCITY
Banned

If the car has been reasonably maintained,the 100k plus miles
should not be a concern.The asking price is IMO.However,
not knowing the "supply&demand" in Canada for Z's,I cannot
say this is a good price.In the U.S.,that car would go for
well less than 10k.As far as the past problems of the 03-04
Z's go,I'd think the tire feathering malady would be long fixed
by previous owners.Window motors,tranny problems...just
drive the car and find out.Other areas to look at area the rear
struts that lift the rear deck.Possibly they were replaced.They
weaken over time.The rear deck button that raises the rear deck
is a weak area.Not the botton itself but the actuator that open s
the latch mechanism can go out.If you have to hit the button 2 times
for the deck to open,the lift springs are weak.This is a minor fix.
Good luck!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The Z has a liquid filled bushing at the rear differential mount. At this mileage it is known tear and leak. It’s kind of a big deal because the bushing isn’t available as a replacement part (have to buy the whole sub-frame cross member). Although some aftermarket solid bushes are offered that can be pressed in. Still, a bit of a complicated job. Here is a picture of the black silicone fluid staining the diff cover. You must crouch down into a very undignified position under the rear bumper to get a look at the differential. Here is a picture of what to look for
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JCiYmaUPDS4wIg

Also, if you take the car into your mechanic for a pre purchase check, have the front lower control arm inner bushings checked. A car of that vintage will possibly need them repaired.

Last edited by Jennifer 2; 11-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Destroyeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can have a mechanic check it out. It usually like $100 down here to have a 3rd party inspection, then you'll have that peace of mind. Sure it wouldn't be cheaper to buy a car in the states and import it?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM
bmcmvox

Jcity: Yeah, I am not too too worried about the cars lifespan being over. All the nissans I have owned since I was in highschool (Sentra, Altima and now hopefully a Z) have been solid cars. The 350s are relatively rare here and around 80 percent I have seen for sale are all US imports. I see Aventadors driving around in Vancouver almost as much as I see Zs. I will take a look a what you mentioned. Thanks!

Jennifer: I will lay down and take a look. Maybe I will see you on the road around town. Yeah, I am thinking that a pre-purchase check would be a good idea. Thanks!

Destroyeron: Yep, it seems to be a consensus to get it inspected first. Never really crossed my mind actually, I have never had any of my cars inspected before purchase but this one is of some concern. Since the Z is one of the few Nissans built in Japan and therefore not duty free, the duty and taxes as well as other fees at the border would probably make it about the same price as if I was to purchase here. Now if I was bringing over a brand spanking new 370z and saving 10k, that might make it worth it.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thread title fixed.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM
cartejustini
Banned

If you can have a mechanic check it out.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Tylermarks

Hey i also live in van city and just picked up an '04 z a month ago i recommend getting BCAA to check it out. For me it was the best 160 spent just to have that piece of mind.