Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Door Ding Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 08:21 AM
nicco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ding Prevention

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A VERY LOW PROFILE BODY SIDE MOLDING(SELF ADHESIVE) ON MY Z TO PREVENT DOOR DINGS - LEVEL WITH THE Z EMBLEM ON THE FRONT QUARTER PANEL AND BACK TO THE FRONT OF THE REAR WHEEL WELL. I HAD THEM ON MY PREVIOUS TWO Z'S BUT CANNOT SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING OTHER THAN BLACK.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE I CAN FIND THEM (SILVERSTONE)

THANKS

NICCO
MARIOLANZ@AOL.COM
Old 09-12-2002, 08:27 AM
XeroDgrees

What if you painted them?

Depending on what kinda material they are made of...it could work
Old 09-12-2002, 09:44 AM
Todd

I'm interested in this too. I figure someone got to eventually make them. Otherwise my car is going to eventually get beat up in parking lots like my current car....
Old 09-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Phydoux
Charter Member #48

My thoughts exactly. So I ordered from these guys:

http://www.sportwing.com/moldings2/m...id+Car+Molding

The moldings have been waiting for my 350Z, just like I have.

Gabe
Old 09-12-2002, 09:56 AM
mwaller

Nissan will be selling color matched door edge guards for the Z. I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's one option. Courtesyparts.com has them listed, but they're not available yet.
Mika
Old 09-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Todd

Originally posted by mwaller
Nissan will be selling color matched door edge guards for the Z. I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's one option. Courtesyparts.com has them listed, but they're not available yet.
Mika

Considering the price, I was thinking that they were just rubber to put on the edge of the doors so they didn't get damaged why you dinged someone else. Maybe they are for the sides of the car??

PartsPedler, can you fill us in?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:01 PM
CoachZ

Originally posted by Shaun
Why not just park in nowhere land and avoid the risk altogether?
You can't always do this...hell, even when you do, people want to look at the car, so they park next to you way out in the boonies.

Came home today to find my neighbors had parked a suburban (over the line) and a caddy (8 inches off the line) on each side of my assigned space. I've parked on the big "don't park here" X. Condos can suck.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:20 PM
2003z

I'll take my chances, imho, the molding is ugly. I've been fairly successful in parking at the end of the lot. Just remember to park uphill. Right after I got my 91TT, we went to a Kmart, and I parked far away from the store. Unfortunately it was downhill and a cart rolled about a 1/4 mile, or so it seemed, and put a nice big dent in the door.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Driven

When one of you puts the side molding on...please take pics so the rest of us that are on the fence can have an easier time deciding. Thanks
Old 09-13-2002, 08:45 AM
zPilott

Originally posted by Shaun
That's true...I've had a couple of uh, "idiots" park next to me when they could've just kept trolling the parking lot like most people(not me) and find a spot that is just 2 inches closer than the one they just passed up. Speaking of which, I'm already inside the store by the time these people find a spot that is much closer than mine. Let's have a show of hands for these goons!
One of my personal pet peeves is parking space stalkers. I cannot stand people that block traffic to wait for someone to get in their car, start it up and drive off, just so they don't have to park in a spot two spaces away. The people who spend 15 minutes to save themselves a 10 second walk just make me laugh though.....
Old 09-13-2002, 10:45 PM
Driven

Hey...if that space is a couple feet wider than the other available spots...I'll be one of "those" people you speak of. I'm more than willing to make others wait if it means my Z is safe from door dings!

PS...I'm the same guy that challanges you to get out of your car when you "think" the space is yours, but I've been waiting for it longer!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:52 PM
mike952

Default Don't purchase none of this stuff!!!

There is no need for this. Ok, you are going to ask me..then how do I get rid of dents without having to pay $100 per dent right??

http://www.twist-a-dent-puller.com/

and it works; saw it live. The only hard ones are the ones that are not round (rare, 5%) and are long edge door jabs..

I feel like buying it and putting an add in the paper locally that I will remove the dents at $20/dent..

Only problem is, although the sticky stuff can be removed with alcohol after removing the dent; not sure what that will do to the zaino layers...
Old 09-14-2002, 04:20 AM
Todd

But what about the chips in the paint? Touchu ppaint doesn't cut it.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:43 AM
mike952

Default The touch-up paint

It may seem the touch up paint doesn't cut it...becuase it cannot just be applied and left there.

Get a Q-tip and dab the area where the paint is needed. After it dries, you will see it is very obvious because it is dull and probably elevated from the regular paint. At this point, a little buffing to get it to the level of the regular car is all that is needed -- you'll be amazed at the exactness of hte color after it's at the same level and buffed.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:11 PM
ATC Ken

Put this on another thread re: touch up paint. A friend told me about a product called Langka to use with your touch up job. Haven't tried it but the web site has rave reviews. www.langka.com

Ken
Old 09-29-2002, 07:18 PM
rouxeny

Dude, you've asked this question in at least 3 different posts. This is a pretty busy board. If it's a question worth answering, asking it just once will get you that answer.

It makes it seem like you're selling this stuff.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:34 PM
2003z

Originally posted by ATC Ken
Put this on another thread re: touch up paint. A friend told me about a product called Langka to use with your touch up job. Haven't tried it but the web site has rave reviews. www.langka.com

Ken
I tried that stuff and it sucked, at least for a novice like me.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:48 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most paintless dent companies will take out all the dings on that panel for 50-75$, no worries. I am not going to screw up the lines of a beautifully designed car just to savs $50 (btw, I have used these guys a few times, they do a great job, I would have never believed it)

Quick Reply: Door Ding Prevention