Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left me a little cold (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Burke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left me a little cold (long)

No flames intended here, just a humble review from just viewing/sitting in (not driving) a C/S Enthusiast (5AT).

Exterior:
It's big! A lot bigger than I remember from seeing a couple a few weeks back. I still need to get used to the high beltline. Needs the 18in wheels (17 looked a bit small to me). I think the butt is a bit droopy, need to see one with the lip spoiler. Still like the exterior quite a bit, although I didn't care for chrome silver.

Interior:
Here's where I felt a little cold. I love the way the seats look, but when I sat in it the bolsters on the lower seat seemed to press into my rear end and lower legs. Before you recommend Jenny Craig, I'm 6'1" 180. I like the steering wheel and gauge pod, but the center console not very attrractive. The nav door is flimsy, but whatever. I also couldn't get used to the huge door panels and vast expanse of black material on them. I never thought I'd say this about a sports car but I felt too low because the doors are higher than my shoulder. There is ZERO visibility over your left shoulder, so if you're not a mirror person, forget it. There is plenty of head and leg room.

Anyway, I just wasn't as excited as I had hoped I would be. I'm not crossing it off my short list just yet because driving it could make all the difference in the world. I also really want to see a track model.

BTW, I knew it was time to leave when I told the salesman I needed to wait to see the G35 coupe and he said "what's a coupe"! Also couldn't believe he let me and others sit in a sold car!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Bobg

Go away
Old 09-12-2002, 10:50 AM
g35or350z

I'm a little tired of people expressing their negative opinions about their car in this forum. The only real opinion that should count is your own. Yes, this is a free forum, but what is the purpose of these threads? To convince us not to buy one?

I am very set on buying this car. No other opinion will sway me from it. If I like it, Im gonna buy it. If you dont like it, dont buy it.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

And if you don't want to read negative opinions about the car...Don't Read Them!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:56 AM
XeroDgrees

He's just simply stating his opinion.

I respect his honest opinion and remember that some people get so excited they overlook the little things and talk about all the great things about the car.

It's a public forum and I don't see anything wrong with his post.

He's not some troll coming into this forum talking trash and saying his other car is better and this and that .

Sorry, if this sounds a little forward but I just get tired of seeing everyone get pissed off because someone wasn't so happy about their dream car. This is what a forum is all about, to discuss topics of opinions and facts about the 350z.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:00 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I can respect your opinion with regards to certain elements. When I look at my door panels, sometimes I'm like, "Man, that's F*CKING GAY!" OTOH, when I'm ripping *** down the road, I'll say to myself, "Who gives a **** about the door panels?"

IMO, the auto is what makes me sick when I sit in a Z. Everytime I've seen one it has been such a letdown to see that big-***, stupid, clunky shifter. You can tell that the interior crew was finished with re-working design elements by the time they reached that auto-shifter. Must have been right after they gave up on the door panels.

Drive it and you'll forget about most, if not all of your concerns.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:05 AM
POWERZ

I actually appreciate hearing the negatives people are expressing. In the past I would go to other boards to see unbiased views (or biased the other way), and this way I can get it all here!

Seriously, I need more than the sugar coated truth from a z lover. I see this car through rose colored glasses and need opposing opinions to keep me grounded. If the view out the back sucks - it sucks. Will it keep me from buying a Z - hell no. If the tranny whines, or the shifter shakes, or the door panels bore you, or you hate 2 door cars - I wanna know. So you hate it - fine. I still love the car. The negative views (when expressed in a non-flame way) help me appreciate the car even more.

ps - i am actually surprised by the LACK of negativity surrounding this car. i feel that has been very well received and off to a great start.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:18 AM
ITZBITZ

I think it's a fat, obese pig of a car.

I think it sounds like my wife's '02 Maxima SE.

I'm not surprised that it's barely faster than the 5-speed Maxima SE.

I've sat in one and must say it's very comfortable with the cloth seats. Shifter position is good.

I'll get to drive it one of these days and decide if it's worth buying or not.

But making a decision based on the badge or hearsay when there really isn't any solid experiences on the car yet?

No way.

Listen to opinions, but form your own.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:36 AM
POWERZ

Originally posted by ITZBITZ
I think it's a fat, obese pig of a car.
I think it sounds like my wife's '02 Maxima SE.
I'm not surprised that it's barely faster than the 5-speed Maxima SE.
No sugar coating there!

It's fat: Well its definitely no mr2 or s2k...
Sounds like a Maxima: Both Nissans and have the same 'same' engine - so, ok.
Barely faster: I think it's quite a bit faster.

Form your own opinions: Good call.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Burke

My apologies. Didn't mean to stir the pot. Just thought I'd throw my personal opinion out there. I've been very excited for this car for a long time and am still excited about it. Congrats to all that have them and I bet my opinion will change after I drive one and see one equipped the way I prefer.

Bob G - you sound like a very open minded, intelligent individual

g35or350z - I'll only post positive things in the future, good luck with your car.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:55 AM
jcedmond

So tell me droidekaus, how does an automobile door "Look Gay"?? I never hear anyone say " gee.. the fenders look hetro"
Old 09-12-2002, 11:57 AM
g35or350z

Burke,

My apologies too. I had just gone through a bunch of threads from s2000 owners posting on this forum. Then I came upon yours. Post all you want. Like I said before, this is a free forum. People appreciate the good, the bad, and the ugly. I like mine good with a little badness
Old 09-12-2002, 12:01 PM
droideka

Originally posted by jcedmond
So tell me droidekaus, how does an automobile door "Look Gay"?? I never hear anyone say " gee.. the fenders look hetro"
Gay in this context = lame. You know how heteros always say, "That's gay." when not actually referring to a sexual orientation?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:03 PM
S2kRob

I thought it was heavy at first, but then when you consider how strong the drivetrain is and how much torque it can handle, you know that those components must be huge.

I'd rather have a couple hundred extra pounds and a drivetrain that can take some serious punishment than a car like my S2000 where the damn clutch slips before the tires will spin to protect the fragile and under-engineered rear end.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:17 PM
SunsetZ

The doors and the whole package looks great to me, that is why I have one in my garage now.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:23 PM
XeroDgrees

Yea, exactly...

I would like the heavy reinforced chassis because that means we can add more and I mean MORE power to the car without any worries about the chassis snapping on us and costing a fortune.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:09 PM
jcedmond

Well droidekaus... I was being sarcastic because you ARE refering to sexual orientation. Your saying the door is Lame because being "Gay" is lame. Sorry, some of us don't appreciate the homophobia.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:20 PM
droideka

Originally posted by jcedmond
Well droidekaus... I was being sarcastic because you ARE refering to sexual orientation. Your saying the door is Lame because being "Gay" is lame. Sorry, some of us don't appreciate the homophobia.
You can step down from the soapbox there, chief. At the turn of the century, "Gay" meant happy or jovial. So maybe I was implying that the door panel was happy. I don't give a rat's *** what someone's sexual orientation is and I never said being gay was lame.

Maybe I should have just said I thought the door panel layout and design was ****, no?
Old 09-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Pitlizard

Default Each to his own, I'm positive

The Pitlizard loves the hole package, this a performance car not a 430SC or the likes. This Z is meant to be driven hard and wear well. I love my old 280ZX, but there is not comparsion, the looks you get driving down the road are worth 3 times the price you'll pay for the new Z. Just my opinon.

The Pitlizard is back in town.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Intrepid

Default Re: Left me a little cold (long)

Originally posted by Burke
I'm 6'1" 180. I never thought I'd say this about a sports car but I felt too low because the doors are higher than my shoulder.
I've driven a touring Z. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm only 5'6" and my shoulders are the same height as the bottom of the window. I just raised the seat to the max (which is not a lot, but it brought me to the level I just described).

Quick Reply: Left me a little cold (long)