ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

that's a really nice gesture, I hope she appreciates/respects you
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I didn't drive economy cars back in the 1970's. My '69 Chevelle SS396 was the most powerful car I ever drove until I bought my Z. It had 350 horsepower and didn't tip the scales at 3000 lbs so the performance was pretty awesome. Here are a few pics of the "economy" cars I used to drive.

I also had a '66 Ford Falcon with a 271 horsepower 289 and 4 speed. In additon I had a Porsche 914 that wasn't a powerhouse, but it handled like a gocart.

When did you get these cars? was it in high school? and if so did you learn to drive in any of these cars?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
When did you get these cars? was it in high school? and if so did you learn to drive in any of these cars?
The car I actually learned to drive in was a 1963 Austin Healey Sprite. It weighed 1400 lbs and handled beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails Mom researching daughters 1st car??-sprite001.jpg   Mom researching daughters 1st car??-sprite-002.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If you don't mind seeing your dead daughter in a ditch co-mingling with a mangled heap of metal and plastic in what used to be her first car - a 350Z - then by all means, make the purchase.

If you actually care about your daughter and want to buy her a safe, reliable first car to learn on, get her a Volvo. You'll have grand babies before you know it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
stuartc323

The car I actually learned to drive in was a 1963 Austin Healey Sprite. It weighed 1400 lbs and handled beautifully.
My point exactly. Those cars had tops 70hp when they stopped production in '72, and your particular model only had 46 to 56 hp depending on which motor you had.

You didnt learn to drive in a 300hp high performance car.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
CannMann21

Something tells me rustyvag doesnt give a hoot about our opinions and merely wants her daughter to get some peen.

Jailbait anyone?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CannMann21
Something tells me rustyvag doesnt give a hoot about our opinions and merely wants her daughter to get some peen.

Jailbait anyone?
I don't think so, or she'd have jumped on my van/mattress suggestion. Plus, when someone mentioned the boyfriend driving, no one mentioned how it's so difficult to get blown while driving - with the low bucket seats and the E-brake handle and all.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
RustyVette

I didn't drive economy cars back in the 1970's. My '69 Chevelle SS396 was the most powerful car I ever drove until I bought my Z. It had 350 horsepower and didn't tip the scales at 3000 lbs so the performance was pretty awesome. Here are a few pics of the "economy" cars I used to drive.

I also had a '66 Ford Falcon with a 271 horsepower 289 and 4 speed. In additon I had a Porsche 914 that wasn't a powerhouse, but it handled like a gocart.
Nice collection ya got!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM
RustyVette

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
Get her a full sized van like from The A-Team or Who's The Boss. Throw a used mattress in the back and call it a day.
You are truly a sicko. I'm betting you don't have any daughters

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Are we talking about Honey Boo-Boo here?
That's rude and unnecessary, especially coming from a moderator. WOW

Originally Posted by CannMann21

Jailbait anyone?
I give a hoot about REAL opinions, not shiit like yours.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
CannMann21

95% of the people on here are saying the same thing...and that is to not do it. Were the ones speaking from experience here. I dont give a fawk what you do, it's your daughter, your life, your money. Do what you want.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:08 PM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyVette
You are truly a sicko. I'm betting you don't have any daughters...
Yes, it's true. Unimaginable demon. That's why the government took both my daughters away.

So, just so we're on the same page, let's provide a transcription of the thread.
OP: "Hey ya'll! Gonna buy my daughter a 350Z the nanosecond she turns 16. Is it gonna be awesome? Got me mind made up already, but figure I'll waste everyone's time and ask."
Everyone: "NO! WorstIdeaEver.jpg"
OP: "O'rlly!!? My girl is good and not like every human."
Pigs: "Send pics" "Mattress van" "Send pics"
Everyone else: "Do NOT do it!"
OP: "But how does it handle? That's the key info I need to know?!"
Everyone: "Wrong car. Bad idea."
OP: "You pigs that I wasted the time of are mentally ill."
Pigs: To be determined...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
KushZEN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
Yes, it's true. Unimaginable demon. That's why the government took both my daughters away.

So, just so we're on the same page, let's provide a transcription of the thread.
OP: "Hey ya'll! Gonna buy my daughter a 350Z the nanosecond she turns 16. Is it gonna be awesome? Got me mind made up already, but figure I'll waste everyone's time and ask."
Everyone: "NO! WorstIdeaEver.jpg"
OP: "O'rlly!!? My girl is good and not like every human."
Pigs: "Send pics" "Mattress van" "Send pics"
Everyone else: "Do NOT do it!"
OP: "But how does it handle? That's the key info I need to know?!"
Everyone: "Wrong car. Bad idea."
OP: "You pigs that I wasted the time of are mentally ill."
Pigs: To be determined...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoluccio
If you do get her a Z, steer away from a base model, traction control will be her friend in the rain, which the base model does not have.
this... IF you do get a z make sure it has traction control and vdc.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
mvp2765

Agreed. Spend the extra cash on an enthusiast or touring model. Cruise control and traction will be handy. The Z isn't a great first car esp in rain or ice. Also make sure to not cheap out on tires if you do happen to go with one.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
blastoff99

Ok, OP, it sounds like you don't like the responses from the 19 - 26 year-old guys on here. Most of these responses, by the way, have been pretty responsible. Yes, there's the inevitable commentary, but then, we don't really know that you're not a troll, either.

I'm old enough to have a kid of driving age, and I'm female. Maybe my opinion on this subject will carry more weight with you than what you've already heard. Here it is:

Don't get your 16-year-old a 350Z as a first car. It is a poor choice for any number of reasons, many of which have already been detailed in this thread.

I'll add one more: you said she wouldn't be driving your 'vette by herself until she's 30. Why is that? Is it that the car is too powerful for her? So's the Z. Is it that it's RWD? So's the Z. Is it that the insurance cost is frightful? Same story with the Z. Is it that the 'vette is a 2-seater? So's the Z....

You see where I'm going with this. You won't let her drive the Corvette, but the Z is a not-completely dissimilar car, and you're talking about buying her one for her first vehicle. This is nuts.

Or maybe you don't want her to drive the 'vette because it's your baby. Fine, but if that's the case, and you're still willing to put your *real* baby alone in a 350Z, you've got your priorities all screwed up.

This is my $.02. At the rate you're going in this thread, you'll find a way to dispute or discount everything I've said, so I'm not going to take myself too seriously here.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
dphillips2011

Stay away from anything rear wheel drive, or high powered. When I turned 17 I went out and bought myself a G35 coupe. Two weeks later, guess where it was? Wrapped around a tree while I was in the hospital because the rear let loose in the rain. If you want a "sporty" looking car, go for a 4 cylinder eclipse or something similar.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by dphillips2011
Stay away from anything rear wheel drive, or high powered. When I turned 17 I went out and bought myself a G35 coupe. Two weeks later, guess where it was? Wrapped around a tree while I was in the hospital because the rear let loose in the rain. If you want a "sporty" looking car, go for a 4 cylinder eclipse or something similar.
straight from the horses mouth.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blastoff99
Ok, OP, it sounds like you don't like the responses from the 19 - 26 year-old guys on here. Most of these responses, by the way, have been pretty responsible. Yes, there's the inevitable commentary, but then, we don't really know that you're not a troll, either.

I'm old enough to have a kid of driving age, and I'm female. Maybe my opinion on this subject will carry more weight with you than what you've already heard. Here it is:

Don't get your 16-year-old a 350Z as a first car. It is a poor choice for any number of reasons, many of which have already been detailed in this thread.

I'll add one more: you said she wouldn't be driving your 'vette by herself until she's 30. Why is that? Is it that the car is too powerful for her? So's the Z. Is it that it's RWD? So's the Z. Is it that the insurance cost is frightful? Same story with the Z. Is it that the 'vette is a 2-seater? So's the Z....

You see where I'm going with this. You won't let her drive the Corvette, but the Z is a not-completely dissimilar car, and you're talking about buying her one for her first vehicle. This is nuts.

Or maybe you don't want her to drive the 'vette because it's your baby. Fine, but if that's the case, and you're still willing to put your *real* baby alone in a 350Z, you've got your priorities all screwed up.

This is my $.02. At the rate you're going in this thread, you'll find a way to dispute or discount everything I've said, so I'm not going to take myself too seriously here.
very well said

Also OP you've mentioned it before and I highly suggest it, is go for a test drive of your own in a 350z, that will be the decision maker, even better do it in the rain.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
silverstone914

Just buy her a nice bicycle and call it a day
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

I like when people already have their mind made up about something, then ask other people as if they aren't sure yet, then get mad (or ignore advice) when people tell them something that goes against their hunch.

Seems as though this lady is hellbent on buying her young inexperienced kid a RWD sports car, no matter how many people who actually owned the car tell her it is a bad idea. I mean really, common sense says it is a bad idea. This isn't the 70s anymore, roads are more crowded, drivers are crazier, teens have cell phones to be distracted with (who wants to bet her daughter has the latest smart phone too), etc.

Personally, I agree with other people who say to grab her a clean Civic or Scion to learn on. They are cheap to maintain, insure, good on gas and the tC is a nice looking car, plenty sporty for a teenager. Maybe after a few years, if you still want to get her one, make it a college gift or something. But to put her in a Z for a first car is just asking for trouble.

Oh and I hope you're not a troll.

Quick Reply: Mom researching daughters 1st car??