Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Mom researching daughters 1st car??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question, do by car crazy do you mean you're family is into motorsport, or just loves cars? Now if your family is into motorsport, she's probably grown up being at the track, possibly even driven on the track herself. Over here you can get your race licence at a young age, and race, as long as your parent/guardian is present. Not sure what the story is in the US.

Either way, a good defensive driver training course never goes amiss, and as long as your daughter has level head on her shoulders and can think for herself and has good self preservation (some youngsters do have it) she maybe ok. Doesn't take long to be come acquainted with a car and it's shortcomings (every car has them).

Also perhaps a young female may not be tall enough or not have long enough arms etc to have good control of the car. You don't want to be crunched right up against the dashboard, need good visibility in all 3 mirrors and you need a nice comfortable driving position.
One of my friends wife is only 5" and drives crunched up against the dash when she drives his Z, it looks very uncomfortable. Although surprisingly, she's quicker around the track than he is, maybe a size/weight disparity that helps.

I think your idea of giving your daughter your Celica is probably a better one, and you get the 350. Ultimately it maybe more viable as far as insurance is concerned.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
Yes, it's true. Unimaginable demon. That's why the government took both my daughters away.

So, just so we're on the same page, let's provide a transcription of the thread.
OP: "Hey ya'll! Gonna buy my daughter a 350Z the nanosecond she turns 16. Is it gonna be awesome? Got me mind made up already, but figure I'll waste everyone's time and ask."
Everyone: "NO! WorstIdeaEver.jpg"
OP: "O'rlly!!? My girl is good and not like every human."
Pigs: "Send pics" "Mattress van" "Send pics"
Everyone else: "Do NOT do it!"
OP: "But how does it handle? That's the key info I need to know?!"
Everyone: "Wrong car. Bad idea."
OP: "You pigs that I wasted the time of are mentally ill."
Pigs: To be determined...
THIS!!

The majority have already suggested not to
As to those who have suggested getting her a Z with TCS or whatever... really? like that's really gonna help lol

Just don't get a 16 year old girl a 350Z when she doesn't even have the sufficient driving skills to even drive a fawking car...

Who cares if she's a 'princess'

She'll end up recking the car and possibly get hurt which is what were trying to beat to your head OP

Then again, we're beating a dead horse here...

Originally Posted by RustyVag
and i agree 100% that a higher hp car isn't the best choice for young and inexperienced drivers,(she won't be driving my Vette by herself until she's 30 LOL)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good catch ^^^
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyVette
I'm betting you don't have any daughters.
I've had lots of people's daughters.

Lol, Jk! Good luck whatever crap you buy your kids love with.

Last edited by DaveJackson; 01-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
I've had lots of people's daughters.

Lol, Jk! Good luck whatever crap you buy your kids love with.
Personally I wouldn't get her a darn thing. It's never really too early to teach kids that life isn't fair.

That said, I noticed some folks asked for pics of the daughter, but nobody asked about mom? I figure mom is at that MILF age, no? However I am curious because I noticed something about girls in sports cars. It is pretty black and white as far as the type that drives them. They are either hot chicks who like "cute" cars or they are not hot at all and use the "cute" car to get the attention they don't otherwise get from men. Furthermore, I noticed a lot of hefty folks like to pour themselves into small cars for some reason.

So which is it? Is it a hot mom & daughter combo? Or are we talking about two people who make the suspension scream for mercy when they sit in a car?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by illjim69
Personally I wouldn't get her a darn thing. It's never really too early to teach kids that life isn't fair.

That said, I noticed some folks asked for pics of the daughter, but nobody asked about mom? I figure mom is at that MILF age, no? However I am curious because I noticed something about girls in sports cars. It is pretty black and white as far as the type that drives them. They are either hot chicks who like "cute" cars or they are not hot at all and use the "cute" car to get the attention they don't otherwise get from men. Furthermore, I noticed a lot of hefty folks like to pour themselves into small cars for some reason.

So which is it? Is it a hot mom & daughter combo? Or are we talking about two people who make the suspension scream for mercy when they sit in a car?
I'm guessing the later. Both seem to be the type dependent on attention.

As to answer the OP, there are many fails in this post.

First Car + Girl + Automatic + attention screaming mom living bicariously through her daughter =

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 01-09-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 AM
jerrit1

As a dad of a teenage son and two teenage daughters let me tell you now the cars are not cared for the way us adults care for cars. The first few cars they own will be damaged often even by the most responsible teenagers. from small parking lot scrapes to hitting guard rails on the highway...even with full coverage insurance just paying the deductables will be very costly. Buy $2500 or less cars for their first 3 cars or untill they turn 21.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by jerrit1
As a dad of a teenage son and two teenage daughters let me tell you now the cars are not cared for the way us adults care for cars. The first few cars they own will be damaged often even by the most responsible teenagers. from small parking lot scrapes to hitting guard rails on the highway...even with full coverage insurance just paying the deductables will be very costly. Buy $2500 or less cars for their first 3 cars or untill they turn 21.
This sounds exactly like my dad. Good father right here ^.

OP is obivous troll, new post count but knows that we get "looking to buy threads" all the time?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrit1
+1 its the honest truth
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
kfoote

Agreed on obvious troll.
Agreed a 350Z as a first car is a terrible idea.
I disagree that someone who grows up around motorsports will not do dumb things in their first car. The severity of dumb may be less, but there will still be dumb things done. My dad raced in SCCA since before I was born, and I grew up around the late 1970's-1980's sports car scene, so I knew about what to do and what not to do. My first car was a 1987 Mercury Topaz, and I STILL did dumb things with it occasionally, though not enough to cause any issues to anyone except myself.

I'm also a little surprised that the G35x hasn't been mentioned yet as a close alternative that is less likely to get themselves into trouble with.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is becoming a joke OP.

I've been very fortunate not to have ever been in an accident or damage any of the vehicles I have driven in my 12 years of driving (A student as well). I learned to drive with my father's '88 Dodge Daytona (100HP). My actual first driving car was a 1996 Dodge Avenger (164HP). Had that for 3 years until it suffered major repair bills (remember it's Dodge) and then upgraded to a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon (172 HP). I've now had my Murano for 4 years and bought my 2003 350Z almost 2 years ago.

The Tiburon was a great, FWD sporty car. I would suggest that or the Eclipse like others have said.

Progression is the key OP.

Last edited by cgkp0925; 01-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
stuartc323

im gonna go ahead and say OP sounded like bullshiet two days ago when posted, and bullshiet status has been verified.

Last edited by stuartc323; 01-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guess I need to drive a few just to see what all the fuss is about
and i agree 100% that a higher hp car isn't the best choice for young and inexperienced drivers,(she won't be driving my Vette by herself until she's 30 LOL) I also know that teens will push the limits of ANY vehicle and try to show off (girls less likely than boys) but then again, don't we all do that when we get a new toy? But I am going to test drive one myself just to see how they handle.
Oh, here's a little background on WHY I would even consider such a car: a few years ago, I told her if she kept her grades up, I would get her the car of her choosing (within budget) she is a straight A student, involved in alot of school activities and generally a good kid. So I feel I need to keep my end of the deal. Wished my parents made me a deal like that!
As the father of two daughters, now 20 and 23, I can sincerely advise you that you should amend your promise. The 350Z is simply NOT a good choice for a first car. You mention that she won't be driving your 'Vette until she is 30, so what if she had chosen the 'Vette? Would you still go along with that? Ask yourself: do I want to keep my end of the deal at the expense of possible bad things happening to my child? Personally, I would be on edge every single time she took the car out of my sight. On the other hand, I sure wish you had been my Mom when I was 16, lol.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, all, thanks for the responses. Yes I am aware this may seem a little absurd, but the point in this post is to get feedback on how Z's handle. Like I stated before, I have never driven one, don't know what to expect. Ask and you shall receive right?
Maybe you can find a local owner with one who will take you for a drive and exhibit the car at it's extreme. Ask them to "push it a bit" and see if that is what you want your 16 year old driving. Even good kids push limits.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
tylerxfire

would not have been a wise choice for my parents to get me a 350z when i was 16..I most likely would not be here or would have harmed other people i will admit..when you are that age you dont have the fear or the knowledge that you do in later years. my first car was a 94 grand am..It was the 6 cyl and i ran the **** out of it..its a good thing it was fwd and not very fast..
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
FamilyTradition

Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
drvqz33

^ lol
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

seems a lot like a tr0LL thread...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM
drvqz33

Last edited by drvqz33; 01-10-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
bluelineshooter

Agreed. Troll fo sho

Quick Reply: Mom researching daughters 1st car??