Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What to do?

The z is my dream car, and I love it. Owned it for 2 years and only had some minor issues with tires and window motor.

Times are tough so I might have to sell my daily driver/winter vehicle. I will not be able to afford a beater so that's not an option.

Should I drive my z all year round (with snow tires in winter) or sell and get something else?

I've had friends with Z's and they all say it still sucks in winter even with dedicated snow tires.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

i drove my previous and current z through 3 winters with no problems although it's not much of a "winter" here in nc. lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just north of the border from you in Ontario. I drove my Z last year in the snow and I am doing it again this year. I have a good set of winters, drive slow and cautious in the snow and you will be okay.

I also have a base model without the VLSD so that makes it even worse! lol

If you want, throw some weight in the back to help with take off grip, but be careful not to make it unstable at speed.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
oldschool350z

Thanks guys, it does seem like it can be done. Hell before my generation all cars were RWD. Only thing that discourages me is the HP and low ground clearance.

My Z is touring so it has the heated seats, mirrors and VLSD. I've read to leave it on and not take traction control off. I guess i hate the thought of my Z in snow but I bought it and really want to drive it and not have it sit.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
zaimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never drive my Z year around here in WI. My thinking is if I can't afford a winter "beater" car, then I can't afford my Z. The car gets squirrelly with less than an inch of snow, granted I only have all season tires too. It's just not worth risking putting my Z in the ditch. That being said..if you get yourself some good snow tires and you're a decent driver then it can be done. It's not going to be a walk in the park, but it is possible
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
ShineMaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter Beater

You'll be fine if you take it easy, just keep your RPMs under 2500. But I wouldnt want my z rusting out from underneath because I had been driving it through salty snow either...I'd save $1200 bucks and buy a FWD 1991 Nissan Sentra off some guy before next winter. Make sure you hose off your Z underneath with soap as much as possible during this winter...thankfully Nissan used a lot of aluminum and plastic instead of steel but still, I know you dont want a rusty Z.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
whatZheck

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Thanks guys, it does seem like it can be done. Hell before my generation all cars were RWD. Only thing that discourages me is the HP and low ground clearance.

My Z is touring so it has the heated seats, mirrors and VLSD. I've read to leave it on and not take traction control off. I guess i hate the thought of my Z in snow but I bought it and really want to drive it and not have it sit.
My first three cars were RWD, it was the norm. I was actually young and dumb enough to do a 360 in my 81 Scirocco in the snow because I was going too fast in my first FWD car.
If you are trying to climb a hill, the TCS has to be off. Slippage power cuts and hill climbing do not mix.
This is my DD, so it will be out there all the time. Of course, I do not live in Buffalo!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
par3773

I live on Lake Ontario, about 40 miles north of you. I run M&S all year round and do fine. I would run it all year. If you feel nervous, put winter tires on it. Just be gentile with the throttle. Small car, big engine. We've been driving rear wheel drive since time began. So dive it. Don't get a beater.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Suwaidi

You'll be fine in the snow with dedicated tires. I ran Blizzaks last year and I'm doing so this year again - Still waiting for the snow to drop. Clearance would be your main issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
GOGOZ

Don't sell!!!!! It took me 8 years to find another z that would fit my bill!!!! Buy an el cheapo 720 2wd for $800 bucks and keep that fairlady covered! Buffalo isn't that different than detroit (seasons, of course) and i simply cannot drive my z in the snow regardless of winter tires or sand bags in the back.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
NebraskaZ

I drove my car this winter here in Nebraska- I was pretty worried when I bought it, but it did well. I have a good set of M3 winters on there and had no issues.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
hamilspe

i take my z up snowboarding every friday. yeah its not the best but it gets the job done. and im running street tries, the car does fine if your smart about how far you push it
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Destroyeron

Get a gf with a Subaru.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
oldschool350z

I agree with what you guys say. I personally don't want a beater because it's too difficult to store my Z now and I can't own 2 vehicles where I live (apartment complex). Let's not forget maintenance on a beater can be costly.

My gf has a suv that I'm sure could use if needed :P

Growing up in Buffalo, NY, I know how bad winter can be and lake effect snow is just another day in winter for me. I've driven my Celica GTS for the past 6 years but can no longer afford two vehicles.

i was looking into getting a used WRX, but MPG will be around the same and make less power. And I wouldn't want one that was modded nor with higher miles.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 01-16-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
tecriffic

Default winter driving

The 350 Z is a great winter car. I have driven mine in Michigan winters for 10 years. No problem. i get to enjoy my Z year round.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Zombie-Z

I live in Metro Detroit and daily drive my Z year round for the last 3-seasons. This is my 2nd Z and the first time around I had a truck and stored the Z. I hated having 2-cars so this time I put some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on and they hook up well in winter and summer. I just drove a thousand mile round trip through Michigan blizzards to go home for Christmas up North and hit storms on the way there and the way home. A set of good tires can cost as much as a beater car. I paid over $1,200 for a set with insurance on the tires. I say if you love that car, keep it and drive it because you will miss it when it is gone and you might not be in a position to get another one. I feel very safe and the Z stays straight when I let off the gas if it gets unsettled. Best of luck with your decision. I also had my car underbody sprayed by Ziebart to protect it from the salt and rusting from the bottom.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM
oldschool350z

I guess I'm more worried about hitting something on the road because it's so low, and rust.

Rust is a huge issue in the northeast because they use SALT >.<

These past two winters have been pretty mild and with snow tires I think I could handle the Z. I guess I see my Z as pristine and don't want to ruin the paint or body with rust or damage.

I was going to get used OEM 17" wheels and new snow tires. I don't care about TPMS.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Zombie-Z

I had my Z undercoated with Ziebart rust protection to keep it from rotting from the bottom. I will let you know how that worked in 10-years. Ha ha. It cost me about $200 and it was worth it to try to keep it solid. If it wears out or starts getting ratty, I will just get another one but I bet I get lots of years out of the car. It might give you some piece of mind so consider it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
WreakZ

I also drive my car all winter.