Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Home automation through the Homelink Visor

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Norel350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home automation through the Homelink Visor

For anyone interested, I just got done installing an X10 home automation system to go with the Homelink Visor that comes with the Z... This system is great, and for 40 bucks well worth it... I kept my system simple for now, but it has the flexibility to upgrade later... In case your wondering what I did, I have ground lighting around my property hooked into a wall switch that runs off of a regular circuit in the house, (none of this low voltage nonsense, this stuff is the real deal).. .My dilemma was that every night I would come to a dark house, if I forgot to leave the lights on, and if I did would waste electricity. So upon some investigation I came across X10.com which is compatible with homelink... The system I started with was only two pieces, a Special Wall switch, and a receiver module that plugs into a wall outlet.... The receiver comes with a remote that you can use on its own, or program into the Z's visor. Now with a push of the visor button i can turn on my driveway lights, house lights, even appliances as im pulling in my drive way.

I originally thought that this would be a $100 plus job, requiring a electrician and a lot of time, but the wall switch is very easy to install, and the whole thing took me less then 15 minutes to do. If anyone is in a similar situation, and wants to come home to a light house, I definitely recommend X10 for us Z owners, they work, and their sales staff was very knowledable in helping me find the exact equipment to fit what I need.. Just thought id pass along the word on a great line of products.

If your interested the website is x10.com or you can find them off the Homelink website
Old 01-18-2004, 09:04 AM
johnp69

Thanks for the info, sounds like a great idea!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:52 AM
all_bark

sweet deal. thanks for the info!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:59 AM
markz

Default Sounds interesting

Can you post the part numbers or Models of what you purchased from X10?

Thanks
Mark
Old 01-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Richardew

I'll have to try that. I have x-10 stuff also. Years ago I started with it and it was called IBM Home Director. You can also get a computer interface for it and software. You can then easily program things to go on and off at specified times. You can make it look like you are home - turning on the bedroom lights, then the kitchen lights etc. There are also weblinks so you can do it all through the internet. I've been getting stuff form Smarthome.com
rich
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Z_Coaster

We use these at work to remotely control power to many things. With a computer as a controller, it can turn things on/off at scheduled times, along with using it in our homelink systems.

FYI - X10 company filed for bankrupcy back in Oct 03.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:06 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default x-10

Cool!!! I have x-10 at home. i can't wait to try this.

x-10.com always seemed cheesy to me. I use smarthome.com for my x-10 stuff.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Norel350Z

Ya x10 is cheesy, whoever hosts the website sucks, but the people on the phone got the job done for me... Also some Radioshacks carry this stuff.. .The products i ordered where the following

Wall Switch module, SKU# WS467
Transceiver Module, SKU# TM751

Basically there is a bunch of diffrent wall switches to choose from, but i like this one, because it didn't have a dimmer toggle, the others did... the one thing everyone will need to do this is the Transceiver module, because that is the piece that comes with the little remote that you use to program the homelink visor in the Z

I tested it out tonight in my car, and the range is surprisingly short, the Reciver is pluged into the wall in my dinning room, which is in the front of the house, and you basically have to be infront of the house, or in the driveway to turn them on, i was hoping i could be down the block or something, but still being in the driveway isn't that bad.

Hope that helps
-Brendan

Last edited by Norel350Z; 01-18-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:14 PM
rdballer

I did the same thing for the lights inside of my garage. I ordered an X-10 capable relay switch to handle the florescent lights in the garage. I already had an X-10 receiver module from my X-10 camera kit, so I plugged that into an outlet in the garage. Now I can turn on the lights coming into the garage and I can leave them on until I get into the car now that I can turn them on/off from the car.

I've also found the distance to be very short. I cannot be further than 30 to 40 feet from the garage to have the X-10 receiver pickup the signal from the Homelink transmitter.