Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Studio_city_rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) Questions

Hi everyone - I was wondering if any of you have ever had PDR to fix your door dings and if so did the PDR tech have to drill a hole into your door to access the panel or was that not necessary? I have an 04 ZR that has a super small door ding on the passenger door that I am planning to have taken out tomorrow or the next day and I would really like it if they didn't have to drill.
I would appreciate anyone's input, thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How can it be PDR if they drill a hole?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PDR guys have a large selection of tools they use to gently massage the back side of the dented panel. Some are quite long and they have various shapes, too, so usually they can get to where they need to be. For sure the interior door panel has to come off, at least part-way. Only way to know is to have the guy look at your car.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

it is unnecessary, but half assed PDR guys will resort to drilling out of laziness. sometimes it has to be done, but most times it can be avoided. On a door ding, it is highly unlikely he would need to drill. Just have him come out and tell him you if he can't do it without drilling you will find someone who will
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by K51
The PDR guys have a large selection of tools they use to gently massage the back side of the dented panel. Some are quite long and they have various shapes, too, so usually they can get to where they need to be. For sure the interior door panel has to come off, at least part-way. Only way to know is to have the guy look at your car.
Wrong. I've watched several different PDR guys remove door dings without removing a thing. The tools they use slide down between the window and the door panel and as said, they kind of massage it out. I've also seen a YouTube video where folks used the suction cup from a GoPro to pull small dings. I'm going to try that when it warms up - cold steel is not very flexible.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Studio_city_rob
Hi everyone - I was wondering if any of you have ever had PDR to fix your door dings and if so did the PDR tech have to drill a hole into your door to access the panel or was that not necessary? I have an 04 ZR that has a super small door ding on the passenger door that I am planning to have taken out tomorrow or the next day and I would really like it if they didn't have to drill.
I would appreciate anyone's input, thanks!
Since you're in SoCal I would go with Dent Wizard:

http://www.dentwizard.com/

They have come to my house and taken dents out of my door and once even on my fender both times without drilling and now you can't even tell that there was ever a dent there in the first place
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
AndyBGAWTSuhZ

No there should be no drilling involved. I have been working PDR for ~7 months now and there are a few options into getting a door ding out of a car. Drilling the door is the last result and often the worst. I actually work for a guy who worked for Dent Wizard in cali and he does amazing work.

Long story short you should only have to set a little window pry inside the door and be able to get the dent out from the top. Very easy and very safe. I'd take it to dent wizard if you're close enough to a shop.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
hehateme31

I work at a bodyshop bro. And every time a PDR guy comes out they usually put a hole in the corner of the door knock out the door dent and put a plug inside of it. Sometimes you'll get a PDR guy who knows what hes doing and doesnt make a hole but for the most part. They always put a hole and then a plug on the side of your door.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a friend that did mine at the line on driver door. No removing panel, drilling, etc. He just had to warm it up w a small torch and did his thing.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember this thing? Bought one maybe 6 years ago and used it on my wife's ex-Volvo for a pretty good sized door ding - worked like magic.

https://www.dingking.tv/index.php?page=Home
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bs. sometimes you have to drill and leave a plug to get to the area or charge way more.

the best of the best in HB is "Beach Cities"

http://www.beachcitiespdr.com/
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like the rest already said. I had PDR warranty on my Z. Had them pulled about 10+ dings. For the doors they never had to remove the door panels. I've never had them drill any holes as well. I have been told some areas where it's not possible/last resort than they'd drill the hole. They should let you know / notify you before doing so at least.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Studio_city_rob

Hey thanks for all the replies everyone! I had a guy take a look and he said he could do it by coming in from the top and using a small window wedge to allow access to the panel via the top like a few of you mentioned. Also thanks for recommending some good places for me to go.... wealth of info on this forum, love it! Thanks again to everyone who answered...