Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Noise Violation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to get an exhaust one day. Like the sound of the single but I like Chadbee GT-R custom exhaust on his Z.

Thinking back on it, I should've bought the Nismo exhaust when it was on sale for $750.

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 06-07-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Z-Crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
dopeness ima check it out, what did you do to the mufflers and pipes?
After installing it there was a slight drone between 3-5k limit, I had access to some SS piping and a guy who had SS welding rods. I cut the pipe where it makes a T, made the bends more gradual(sort of obtuse Y). Made it slightly smoother.

a guy with same exhaust chased me down the street, asking why does yours sound deeper.

Another major reason- I get bored sonetimes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Z-Crazy
After installing it there was a slight drone between 3-5k limit, I had access to some SS piping and a guy who had SS welding rods. I cut the pipe where it makes a T, made the bends more gradual(sort of obtuse Y). Made it slightly smoother.

a guy with same exhaust chased me down the street, asking why does yours sound deeper.

Another major reason- I get bored sonetimes
Lol for sure
Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM
VQ_Z

i don't think there's such law for loudness or modified exhaust on this planet! these pigs are just out for cash grab to pay their stupid bills period!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by VQ_Z
i don't think there's such law for loudness or modified exhaust on this planet! these pigs are just out for cash grab to pay their stupid bills period!

Are you being serious? There are tons of laws for modified exhaust systems.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by VQ_Z
Originally Posted by Syner

Are you being serious? There are tons of laws for modified exhaust systems.

There are way too many laws against loud exhausts lol, ever heard of "disturbing the peace" or "illegal car modifications - exhaust"

These are violations my friends have gotten in LA and in Vegas, more so LA though.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It really depends on the situation a lot of officers will not pull you over unless you are driving bad and causing recklessness.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
There are way too many laws against loud exhausts lol, ever heard of "disturbing the peace" or "illegal car modifications - exhaust"

These are violations my friends have gotten in LA and in Vegas, more so LA though.
Originally Posted by oldschool350z
It really depends on the situation a lot of officers will not pull you over unless you are driving bad and causing recklessness.

We have similar laws here - it is technically illegal to modify exhaust systems. However, you will only get a ticket for it if you've been pulled over for being an asshat.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Z-Crazy

No one stops harleys??
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Syner

We have similar laws here - it is technically illegal to modify exhaust systems. However, you will only get a ticket for it if you've been pulled over for being an asshat.
Yeah thats mostly how its goes here in Vegas and back home in LA, at least now. Most of the time they were speeding, or driving recklessly so thats how they got those.

No one stops harleys??

My number one Pet Peeve. WTF dont they get stopped.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

No one stops harleys??
I believe 2 wheel vehicles have different noise level restrictions than cars do. Either way I've never gotten pulled over for my exhaust and my injen/test pipe combo is LOUD, probably because I don't drive like an *** hat.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Phenom
I believe 2 wheel vehicles have different noise level restrictions than cars do. Either way I've never gotten pulled over for my exhaust and my injen/test pipe combo is LOUD, probably because I don't drive like an *** hat.

Thats exactly why you have never gotten pulled over ^
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
TSG-Z

Originally Posted by smokescreen
here in va the law states "No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make."

but i haven't been hassled for my exhaust. (test pipes back) but i would never rule out that i could be pulled over for it. the cops around here are pretty laid back on it seeing as they have more serious offenses to tend to, but there's always that one who's really bored and having a bad day.
Wow how has VA changed! When I was there (Va. Beach/Norfolk) the cops resembled the gestapo, but then again I did have a Honda. I was always ticketed with no front plate, altered suspension, tint & exhaust!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:24 AM
fatjoe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedmorespeeed
So my state laws (MA) are very strict about car modding. I was just wondering how likely it is for those of you living in states with laws on modified exhausts, to get pulled over for being too loud.
I'm in Chicopee, MA and I don't have that problem. My car has an INJEN exhaust and the rear bumper is tucked so it can be seen. I've been stopped once for being in Springfield near the area where street racers hang out. The police just asked why are there TEXAS plates on my car? Military! From there no problems.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM
calidrew909

i live in California and i have been on both sides of the spectrum, before i got my 350z i had a 05 honda civic and i have exhaust headers intake and i got pulled over so many time its ridiculous, i would just put the silencer get the ticket written of then take the silencer back off lol then pulled over again the cycle went on and on and on sold the car got a z put dual intake and full exhaust really loud exhaust passed by cops in la, orange county san ber and they dont give a **** so yes cops are out to get civics which i never ****ing understood thats just wrong im happy tho i dont get hassled i already changed the exhaust because like some on said drone sucks and you cant even have a convo in the car and i just couldnt take it so i got a new exhaust and its perfect a little bit louder than stock but when you step on it then its loud ahahah .
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No one stops harleys??
yeah its total bs how cops care about a semi loud car, but not an obnoxiously loud harley on the freeway. its so ridiculous!!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
They can pretty much ticket you for farting in the wrong direction in CA.
Is that what CARB is?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
1973camarolt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been pulled over once in my drag Camaro when I was running open headers in downtown Virginia Beach, late at night. My dad was in the passenger seat and he was not impressed . The cops there are uptight like the KGB so I knew I was risking a ticket. Luckily the officer let me go because an urgent call came in, and since then I've kept my exhaust on to attract less attention. I've also been in the backseat of my friend's E28-swapped E30 when it was pulled over in Atlanta Michigan. We were there attending Sno*Drift and the cops were ready to give all the rally hooligans tickets. Somehow we got off with a warning, but I was so hungover I don't clearly remember what he told us .
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM
calidrew909

i just think we should be able to do what ever we want to our cars. i will never understand how bikes get away with being loud but nooooooo when its a car Armageddon happens
Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Z-Crazy

Originally Posted by T_K
Is that what CARB is?
Lol

Quick Reply: Noise Violation?