Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z coupe or 350z roadster

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JERZ350
I think convertibles look good with the top down, but I really hate how they look with the top up.
This.

Even as a roadster owner, I completely agree. They look weird with the top up. The key is to get a beater for when the weather doesn't allow you to have the top down.

And if this thread isn't evidence enough already, there is no consensus on which one you SHOULD buy. You have to figure it out for yourself and not worry about what other people think.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
bstingZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course Convertible looks terrible. But Roadster is like night and day, more head turner as well. my 2 dollars.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM
bstingZ

For Coupe, I prefer the 370Z.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Z CWBOY

Originally Posted by Ringo7
Not kidding. Go back a page here in this thread, take a look at 350zChad's post/pic and tell me that Z looks like a chick car?? Almost looks like the Batmobile from what I see, and that certainly AIN'T no chick car... Are you possibly playing for the other team?? :/
My girl said that exact same thing about it looking like something Batman would drive! Mines not even black
Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM
cncnjn

COUPE, in my opinion if i wanted a convertible id get an s2k
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zchad
Roadster... complete sex!! BTW like the Z exhaust note.. you'll really love it in a roadster!

I'm not a fan of the roadster but with yours i'll make an exception. It looks like sex on wheels!!! OMG I love it!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Convertible looks great with the top down, but once its up the lines are completely ruined.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
I'm not a fan of the roadster but with yours i'll make an exception. It looks like sex on wheels!!! OMG I love it!
Thank you! LOL

Originally Posted by ZROCM
Definitely less storage in roadster as a friend found out when packing for ZDAYZ!
Yeah told my wife to pack lite.. LOL each had a small duffle bag.. rest was for car cleaning stuff including 2 buckets!

Originally Posted by Ringo7
Not kidding. Go back a page here in this thread, take a look at 350zChad's post/pic and tell me that Z looks like a chick car?? Almost looks like the Batmobile from what I see, and that certainly AIN'T no chick car... Are you possibly playing for the other team?? :/
LOL Batmobile.. HAHA
Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 AM
rpdrives

Originally Posted by Zmandriving
I had the same decision when I bought my 07 Z. I decided to go with the coup. I don't know where you live but I live in Florida and still decided to go with coup. I think the styling on the coup looks much better than convertible. Convertible is nice once in a while but decided that I wouldn't have the top down that much. Also there might be mechanical problems with the convertible top, rips, and other damage that could happen to it. Plus safety if you ever flipped the car could be a problem. just my two cents.
I have a 2007 Coupe and have lots of fun with it. I like the Roadster also. I had a Vette convert. in the past and the negatives were when stopped in heavy traffic the sun will melt you. I'm in Florida too. I had problems with water leaks around the rag top in the rain with the Vette. I hope the Z Roadster doesn't have this problem. Don't know. Would like to hear about leaks from a Z Roadster owner. Safety is something to think about not only from rollovers in a Roadster but also from a street thug on the corner in a City. Not that I'm afraid to rumble but if you hurt one of the little darlings you most likely enter a world of crap with the law.

Last edited by rpdrives; 06-21-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are a car enthusiast, buy a coupe. If you are just a regular person that wants a flashy sports car, get a roadster.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
If you are a car enthusiast, buy a coupe. If you are just a regular person that wants a flashy sports car, get a roadster.
I consider myself a car enthusiast, and I drive a 2007 roadster(Enthusiast trim). It was difficult to find an HR Roadster with a manual transmission, but I think it was worth it. I've put 15,000 miles on it in a year, with the top down 90% of the time. I wouldn't trade it for a coupe, I enjoy the sun and fresh air far too much. The roof on mine has never leaked in the rain, and the car has always seemed to handle great to me.

I'd say to buy whatever you like better. I wanted a convertible and I don't care if someone else thinks it's ugly or the "lines are ruined". I bought it to make me happy, not someone else. Though, people do compliment my car frequently.

Last edited by patrickoneal; 06-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 AM
350zchad

I'm an enthusiast, and would put mine up against a coupe, lol
Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 AM
350zchad

Originally Posted by rpdrives
I have a 2007 Coupe and have lots of fun with it. I like the Roadster also. I had a Vette convert. in the past and the negatives were when stopped in heavy traffic the sun will melt you. I'm in Florida too. I had problems with water leaks around the rag top in the rain with the Vette. I hope the Z Roadster doesn't have this problem. Don't know. Would like to hear about leaks from a Z Roadster owner. Safety is something to think about not only from rollovers in a Roadster but also from a street thug on the corner in a City. Not that I'm afraid to rumble but if you hurt one of the little darlings you most likely enter a world of crap with the law.
No leaks.. The problem most people have with leaks or tears is the lack of knowledge in taking care of the seals and top.. The seals are rubber and must treat them to keep from drying out and cracking, the same goes for the top. Aerospace 303 is perfect for the rubber seals.. I treat mine every other wash. Can also be used on the vinyl top, however I use ragtop cleaner and the ragtop protectant.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM
sauer420

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for the coupe. My first Z was a (used) 2004 roadster, but now I have an 07 coupe. I test drove the roadster when the weather was really nice and ended up getting it without thinking things through. With the top down, the exhaust sounds amazing and the car looks great. I ended up having major regrets though, mostly because the rag top just doesn't look good up, IMO. I would see a Z coupe on the road and be jealous. I was also constantly seeing posts in the roadster section for roof malfunctions which worried me, and mine got holes pretty quickly. It's also comparably loud at freeway speeds. As others have mentioned, you get a worse blind spot and significantly less storage space. I also felt a noticeable difference in the handling when I moved to my coupe, but I'm not sure if there was a suspension change between the 04 and 07. I suppose it's good if you drive with the top down most of the time or really love convertibles.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 AM
bmcmvox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been partial to coupes. They just look nicer IMO. The lines are better, and better roll protection (you never know)
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
ChuckNOS

A coupe is not a convertible. So what do you want out of a car? My wife wanted a 2 seat convertible sports car. The 350Z Roadster is the only choice between the two. On the way home from buying her "new" '05 350Z Ultra Yellow Roadster, I drove about 600 of the 800 miles with the top down. Next best thing to traveling on a bike. Except maybe better because there are no helmet laws for cars (yet!).
Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 AM
ChuckNOS

P.S. As far as looks go, (conceding the coupe is a better looking car with tops thrust into the equation) the only time I ever look at my car is when I'm not in it! So with the top up, I really don't give two hoots how the car looks. I do care how it drives, (very well, even with the top up) and, while road noise can be an issue, the stereo is usually playing something so it's not normally an issue.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickoneal
I consider myself a car enthusiast, and I drive a 2007 roadster(Enthusiast trim). It was difficult to find an HR Roadster with a manual transmission, but I think it was worth it. I've put 15,000 miles on it in a year, with the top down 90% of the time. I wouldn't trade it for a coupe, I enjoy the sun and fresh air far too much. The roof on mine has never leaked in the rain, and the car has always seemed to handle great to me.

I'd say to buy whatever you like better. I wanted a convertible and I don't care if someone else thinks it's ugly or the "lines are ruined". I bought it to make me happy, not someone else. Though, people do compliment my car frequently.
Originally Posted by 350zchad
I'm an enthusiast, and would put mine up against a coupe, lol
Coupe weighs less, more rigid, no cowl shake, and safer for the track.

If you care about performance and want the best 350Z for performance, you get a coupe instead of a roadster. No arguing with that.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two seater convertibles are the only thing that are almost as fun as a bike.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
350zchad

Coupe weighs less, more rigid, no cowl shake, and safer for the track.

If you care about performance and want the best 350Z for performance, you get a coupe instead of a roadster. No arguing with that.
loose some weight.. lol and you are a pro race driver? lol

btw the z car originated from a convertible!

Quick Reply: 350z coupe or 350z roadster