Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Debating on Selling the Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Yeah this is true all the cars up here have a ton of damage from salt, either the rear quarters or underbody. I don't think that "rust protection" stuff is worth it.

But there really are not many z's up here at all. If I see any a lot of the times all are stock. I'm aiming at paying it off by the end of this year. Then maybe either get a used wrx and keep the z or trade both cars in for a new one.
Just don't drive your Z when there's still salt on the road and if there is, make sure you wash your car (especially the under body) Thoroughly after you driven it. Also put oil and WD40 on sections that may rust. My father have been using WD40 on his 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup for work (Those things are notorious for rust) and he's been using WD40 with oil and that thing hasn't seen any rust outbreak on it at all. He leaves it outside and drives it during snow storms and after they put bloody salt on the roads.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never thought of using WD-40 but that seems like it would provide protection. And be simple to do as I could apply it myself. I normally drive the Z until the snow starts to stick in late November and my heated seats come in handy.

I did check on insurance for a new WRX and my premium would only go up about $400 per year. Which is not bad for a brand new car and lower deductible. I think I might wait until they actually bring out that WRX concept. I just think the current generation is hideous.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM
oldschool350z

Some douche from Craigslist came today and offers me $8,000 and says that's all it's worth. I'm livid at that point, it's not my first time selling a car. I know what it's worth and I wouldn't sell my dream car for that low.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Some douche from Craigslist came today and offers me $8,000 and says that's all it's worth. I'm livid at that point, it's not my first time selling a car. I know what it's worth and I wouldn't sell my dream car for that low.
Don't sell it then. You got a great car man but you have to rekindle the passion and the reasons why you fell in love with her in the first place. Kind of like a marriage going through a rough spot. Sometimes you gotta open her up and start trying new and kinky things like bondage, role playing, whips, chains, doing it with all your clothes on, do it on her parents bed, do it on her roommate's bed, wear gimp suits, pour honey, wine or bacon all over each other and lick it off, edible clothing, do her in a public place and try not to get caught, do her in a public place and get caught, try to have a threesome with her and one of her best girlfriends, rape fantasy, when she comes home from work and sits down on the couch jump on top of her and start plowing her and roar like a lion the possibilities are endless. You can do some upgrades on your car too.

Last edited by Jah70; 07-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by Jah70
Don't sell it then. You got a great car man but you have to rekindle the passion and the reasons why you fell in love with her in the first place. Kind of like a marriage going through a rough spot. Sometimes you gotta open her up and start trying new and kinky things like bondage, role playing, whips, chains, doing it with all your clothes on, do it on her parents bed, do it on her roommate's bed, wear gimp suits, pour honey, wine or bacon all over each other and lick it off, edible clothing, do her in a public place and try not to get caught, do her in a public place and get caught, try to have a threesome with her and one of her best girlfriends, rape fantasy, when she comes home from work and sits down on the couch jump on top of her and start plowing her and roar like a lion the possibilities are endless. You can do some upgrades on your car too.
Hahah this made my day!! Yes I agree I originally bought my z because when I was younger I always saw them on tv but never in person. Just thought it was the best bang for the $ and I loved the design and gauges

The first time I drove one I was in heaven, fast acceleration and it felt luxurious to me. The perforated leather and heated seats kept me warm in fall and it's a blast to drive. I still get a smile when I step on the gas or go fast around a turn.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My .02 if you seem as happy as you are with it then dont sell it. Jah70 is right, if you love your car that much it is like a marriage. lol. My girlfriend sometimes jokes and says I love my car more. I just always get really excited when im driving on the freeway drop it down to 4th and just floor it, hear the motor roar and it hauls a$$. lol. or occasionally drifting when i have the itch really really bad.
But i live in California so its summer year round...
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
oldschool350z

I do love it but I think I would love the wrx more. Just to drive the car everyday and only pay for insurance on one. I just can't believe the lowballs that people have given me in the private market, I would be best trading to the dealer for 12k.

I wish I lived in cali
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I do love it but I think I would love the wrx more. Just to drive the car everyday and only pay for insurance on one. I just can't believe the lowballs that people have given me in the private market, I would be best trading to the dealer for 12k.

I wish I lived in cali
If the dealer is offering you 12k for your car, I'd trade it in. Here in Az, I have seen 03 and 04 Z's go for as little as 7k. And the really nice cared for ones with low miles going as low as 10.5k. But, the used car market is flooded with Z's here.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
BOZNEON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I lived in cali
I was in the same boat as you with not driving my z. I had an 07 touring that i drove on weekends mostly and had a beater. Sooo i decided to sell it May 2012 for a brand new wrx. Here it is now july 2013 and i have gotten rid of the wrx already. I would NEVER recommend the wrx to anyone, even my worst enemy. I put 15k miles on it. My complaints about the wrx were that it had an horribly cheap interior, seats broke, center console broke twice, stupid thing comes with summer tires(wtf!?) and it has the worst shifter in the world. Shifter has incredibly long throws, highly inaccurate as well. It is also incredibly hard to get into reverse in this car from day one (had 5 miles on it when i got it) and the dealer and many other enthusiasts said that this is normal. I cant emphasize enough on how bad the car feels at high speeds and turn in general, from crazy body roll to being very very unsafe feeling above 80mph. This may sound like I am bashing the wrx, iam not.. Keep the Z and get a cheap daily if you already dont have one. The Wrx is also faster than the STI in a straight line and the sti is not much of an upgrade over it. Just my .02.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by BOZNEON
I was in the same boat as you with not driving my z. I had an 07 touring that i drove on weekends mostly and had a beater. Sooo i decided to sell it May 2012 for a brand new wrx. Here it is now july 2013 and i have gotten rid of the wrx already. I would NEVER recommend the wrx to anyone, even my worst enemy. I put 15k miles on it. My complaints about the wrx were that it had an horribly cheap interior, seats broke, center console broke twice, stupid thing comes with summer tires(wtf!?) and it has the worst shifter in the world. Shifter has incredibly long throws, highly inaccurate as well. It is also incredibly hard to get into reverse in this car from day one (had 5 miles on it when i got it) and the dealer and many other enthusiasts said that this is normal. I cant emphasize enough on how bad the car feels at high speeds and turn in general, from crazy body roll to being very very unsafe feeling above 80mph. This may sound like I am bashing the wrx, iam not.. Keep the Z and get a cheap daily if you already dont have one. The Wrx is also faster than the STI in a straight line and the sti is not much of an upgrade over it. Just my .02.
I'm glad you posted I really was dead set in a new wrx. I know the interior is subpar based on reviews and it simply looks cheap. From what you say it sounds like the next generation will be better.

The main thing I love about Subaru wrx is awd, and turbo. I'd stick with the wrx and not go for the Sti because it's a lot more and not too much gained for daily driving.

The z is a different kind of car compared to the wrx, more in tune with the road and rwd. I hope they redesign it then I'll pull the trigger and maybe keep the z for weekends. I am in love with everything about the wrx concept from the nyc auto show

Edit: why the bell does the wrx come with SUMMER TIRES?!?! >.<

Last edited by oldschool350z; 07-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I lived in cali
if you have your other dd that is a cheap car registered as your primary isnt insurance cheaper though? Worst part about cali is all the damn cost. just last year i paid $180 for registration!!! Strippers are probably cheaper than that!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
eztexclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about selling mine. What should I get? I have a new born and the z is not practical for me right now.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
if you have your other dd that is a cheap car registered as your primary isnt insurance cheaper though? Worst part about cali is all the damn cost. just last year i paid $180 for registration!!! Strippers are probably cheaper than that!
insurance is $100 cheaper a year but that's not much. Because I still have the added premium of that car. I just paid registration luckily to renew in ny it's only $60 ! But I seriously hate state inspections, in ny they blow.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I lived in cali
That is pretty good if the dealership is giving you 12K.

We were given one of those Nissan dealership, 'We want you used Z for X amount', cards in the mail. With poor, average, excellent conditions with dollar amounts from $8200 to $12000. Well the dealership here told my wife $8500. She grabbed the keys and walked out. My car was rated poor by the dealership, which it isn't (mine is conservatively average). After all the private low ball calls, tire kickers and the dealership, we decided to keep it and enjoy the car.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
That is pretty good if the dealership is giving you 12K.

We were given one of those Nissan dealership, 'We want you used Z for X amount', cards in the mail. With poor, average, excellent conditions with dollar amounts from $8200 to $12000. Well the dealership here told my wife $8500. She grabbed the keys and walked out. My car was rated poor by the dealership, which it isn't (mine is conservatively average). After all the private low ball calls, tire kickers and the dealership, we decided to keep it and enjoy the car.
They offered 12K for my Z, but for my daily driver they offered $1,000. Mind you it's a older car but only 100K, all options and higher model with better engine and transmission. I figure I'll drive that in the ground and a couple of years maybe get a WRX; and keep the Z.

Oh I know the feeling. I actually used to work at a car dealership, and recently got one of those cards in the mail from them, however mine said "we will pay you up to $7,800 if your 350Z is in EXCELLENT condition". They use this trick to get you in the door but they could've at least made it more illusive You can tell they are auto generated and have the "black book" number listed, this will always be a lot lower then KBB and Edmunds.

Dealers will always pick away at your car just to justify their lowball, they want to make money on you. And they normally make more money on used vehicles versus new because there is more gross in it. They love trade ins for this reason.

But I'm at the point where it's almost paid off and don't want to sell it for peanuts. I would personally leave that dealer a bad review simply for wasting your time.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
oldschool350z

I'm going to keep it as a toy. Maybe in the future I'll get a wrx as a daily driver.

I was taking some groceries out today and some neighbor kids said, "wow I've only seen that car in video games". I'm like you can get one if you want when you get old enough lol. Basically made me realize why I bought it in the first place, it was always my dream car.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to keep it as a toy. Maybe in the future I'll get a wrx as a daily driver.

I was taking some groceries out today and some neighbor kids said, "wow I've only seen that car in video games". I'm like you can get one if you want when you get old enough lol. Basically made me realize why I bought it in the first place, it was always my dream car.
I was thinking the same thing about a year ago, and I have started thinking it again....... A year ago I ran into a potential money problem, which would have been a big deal this year, so I was looking to part/sell my Z and get a cheaper WRX for AWD and more function since I was planning on moving to Iowa from Cali(sucks to do btw, I miss SoCal). But I ended up dumping all my money into paying off the Z(about 11grand) and now I own it for about 6months. Now that I'm back in Iowa, the need for a daily is coming up and I want to have a nice daily, but at the same time, want to save lots of money. I actually started looking for an 05 STi so I could have a fast daily and then sell the Z. But I couldn't justify having a car that fun as my daily in the winter, especially when I KNOW I would mod it. So the Z stays, and I just have to find a daily......which is harder than I thought with my TWO requirements being: Better gas mileage than the Z and Manual transmission. It boggles my mind how few Manual transmission cars there are out there in certain price ranges. Few and far between

I suggest taking any little cash you have and investing into an Exhaust you like. I got my GReddy Evo II a few months after buying my car, and it is still with me(even tho I cut out the resonators for some more roar).

Small(ish) mods here and there make me love the Z all over again.

Plus you have to make a bigger effort to drive it! If I'm going to the store to get groceries we usually take my GFs avenger, but if it's not much I take the Z just to get attention.

I have gotten more compliments on the Z in 1 month since moving back to Iowa, than I did in Cali for 3+ years. THAT adds to the "value" of the car.

Glad you're looking to keep the Z.