Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2005 AC only works correctly at speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM
mahicks3322

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 AC only works correctly at speed

Hello All,

I think I have identified the problem but could use a few pointers on troubleshooting so I know what to check/repair. I have tried searching and searching and have gotten close but no cigar....

My 2005 Touring has 77K miles with Climate Control. Here are my findings/issues:

-When driving at speed there is no issue. Everything works fine.
-When parked the cars blower unit works fine but blows ambient/moist air.
-I can hear the compressor kicking on every 15 or so seconds but only for a second or two.
-At the low pressure input I have 45-60 PSI when the compressor is cycling (for it's very short time.) and somewhere close to 100 PSI when static. I do not think charge is the issue.
-With engine at temp the PASSENGER electric radiator fan turns at speed.
-With AC on the DRIVER electric radiator fan DOESN'T turn.
-With engine below temp there is NO electric fan turning.

I am pretty sure the Driver fan should kick on when the engine is warm and you turn on the AC unit. I THINK the fan or something that controls it is bad and at idle the condenser coils get heat soaked and the compressor kicks off. I think I need to fix the fan, what ever controls it or the wiring/relays etc.

My Questions Are:
-Can anyone tell me if I am in the right direction on this and in fact the DRIVER fan is the one that should kick on when the AC is on?
-Any particular places to start looking? I am pretty electrical/mechanical savvy.
-Any ideas on troubleshooting the fan or its related supporting components?
-Anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

Thank you in Advance for ANY help you can give me.

Michael
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Blueknight74

Originally Posted by mahicks3322
Hello All,

I think I have identified the problem but could use a few pointers on troubleshooting so I know what to check/repair. I have tried searching and searching and have gotten close but no cigar....

My 2005 Touring has 77K miles with Climate Control. Here are my findings/issues:

-When driving at speed there is no issue. Everything works fine.
-When parked the cars blower unit works fine but blows ambient/moist air.
-I can hear the compressor kicking on every 15 or so seconds but only for a second or two.
-At the low pressure input I have 45-60 PSI when the compressor is cycling (for it's very short time.) and somewhere close to 100 PSI when static. I do not think charge is the issue.
-With engine at temp the PASSENGER electric radiator fan turns at speed.
-With AC on the DRIVER electric radiator fan DOESN'T turn.
-With engine below temp there is NO electric fan turning.

I am pretty sure the Driver fan should kick on when the engine is warm and you turn on the AC unit. I THINK the fan or something that controls it is bad and at idle the condenser coils get heat soaked and the compressor kicks off. I think I need to fix the fan, what ever controls it or the wiring/relays etc.

My Questions Are:
-Can anyone tell me if I am in the right direction on this and in fact the DRIVER fan is the one that should kick on when the AC is on?
-Any particular places to start looking? I am pretty electrical/mechanical savvy.
-Any ideas on troubleshooting the fan or its related supporting components?
-Anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

Thank you in Advance for ANY help you can give me.

Michael
the system need 1.2 lb of r134, Any more or less the compressor will keep turning off.40-50 on the low & 300 on the high
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 PM
mahicks3322

Originally Posted by Blueknight74
the system need 1.2 lb of r134, Any more or less the compressor will keep turning off.40-50 on the low & 300 on the high
I see what your saying but are you also saying my drivers side fan not running is NOT a problem?

I only ask because regardless of freon charge the system runs fine while the care is in motion. The compressor runs normally, The air temp. is close to "ice cold" etc...etc...
Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 PM
rotaryDial

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if BK's idea doesn't fix it, my money would be on the fan relay. I had the same problem in my dodge pick up a few years back.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:35 AM
canadianR6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same issue on my 2005. It was the fan motor. I picked up 2 oem replacement motors for $35 a piece and installed them in the fan housing and all was good. I guess our model year had an extended warranty on the fan motors because they were a known issue. Good luck with the fix.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Quattrone21

I thought their was a recall on those fan motors, if so you are good till 80K after that you will have to pay for them