Originally Posted by logan09
Where's Stuarttc because we have another dreamer thread here
Here come the haters.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 PM
kaze06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kolkim
Here come the haters.
Please be open minded and listen to those more knowledgable than yourself. I haven't been in the Z community long but I've been in the enthusiast community for a long time, and this happens all the time. You get excited and you get pipe dreams. We all do it, it happens. When it really gets scary is when someone has the pipe dreams and miraculously happens to have some money to follow through with it. Read my last post...honestly, can you answer the question of why you want to do this with something other than "because I want to"? Are you going to strip the car? Track it? Street racer wannabe? Show car? Or is it a daily driver? Winter car? Be honest so we can give you equally honest and helpful advice. I hate seeing people get their hopes up but even more I hate seeing people throw their money down a wishing well only to learn the hard way a few months or years later.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM
kolkim

Originally Posted by kaze06
Please be open minded and listen to those more knowledgable than yourself.
Originally Posted by logan09
Where's Stuarttc because we have another dreamer thread here
*Not a knowledgeable post*

I haven't been in the Z community long but I've been in the enthusiast community for a long time, and this happens all the time. You get excited and you get pipe dreams. We all do it, it happens. When it really gets scary is when someone has the pipe dreams and miraculously happens to have some money to follow through with it. Read my last post...honestly, can you answer the question of why you want to do this with something other than "because I want to"? Are you going to strip the car? Track it? Street racer wannabe? Show car? Or is it a daily driver? Winter car? Be honest so we can give you equally honest and helpful advice. I hate seeing people get their hopes up but even more I hate seeing people throw their money down a wishing well only to learn the hard way a few months or years later.
Thanks for the good advice
My plans are to eventually track it but first I want it to be fast in a drag race. Not really a show car, I just like the GTR style personally. This is also not be my daily driver.

I wouldn'tve made this thread if I was blowing hot smoke. When I first got my license it's what I wanted to do, with a Z, but only when I had the money to do it. Even when I was driving the civic I wanted to do it.

Last edited by kolkim; 08-04-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:40 PM
logan09

Wanting to do it and doing it are two different things. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you aren't that old, and you're salary doesn't match up with all the parts you'd need to buy. I make a good chunk of money but paying bills and etc, I still can't throw THAT much money at mine.

Unless you live at home with parents and in that case, move out if you have the money
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM
kaze06

Well I can understand wanting to do it, but it sounds like you don't have much mechanical knowledge or experience. Driving and maintaining a car with mods like this requires you to at least be able to get under the hood and tinker when things start to go funny, because they will, and a lot more often than they would on a stock motor. If you have to take it to a shop every time it dies at idle or runs rough or makes some strange noises, you're going to go broke very fast and you're increasing your chances of grenading the motor tenfold. Building a VQ to 400+ horses is something you should aim for after having a little experience. Do some smaller mods and live with that for a while. A while meaning a year or two. Don't go from having never changed your air filter to dropping $25,000 worth of FI and supporting mods without any baby steps in between. You're setting yourself up for a lot of heartache if you do.

Do you know what's involved in tracking your car? Have you ever driven a stock car around a track before at a competitive level, let alone a highly modified rear wheel drive car? You're going to need to completely replace your brake setup from top to bottom if you're going to be doing nothing but tracking it hard. Coilovers will be a must and the majority of your suspension setup is going to need improved and upgraded if you're taking it to the track a lot.

And I'd say that's just the very basics, and that's not even touching your drivetrain yet. Before you get gung ho about building a track monster under the good, it needs an overhaul underneath that. What's carrying the car means a lot more on the track than what the car is carrying.

And ask anyone who has tried it, tracking this car with a stock brake setup is fun until about the third turn and your brakes take vacation.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

*Not a knowledgeable post*

Thanks for the good advice
My plans are to eventually track it but first I want it to be fast in a drag race. Not really a show car, I just like the GTR style personally. This is also not be my daily driver.

I wouldn'tve made this thread if I was blowing hot smoke. When I first got my license it's what I wanted to do, with a Z, but only when I had the money to do it. Even when I was driving the civic I wanted to do it.
I don't wish this to be the reply of a hater but have you seriously priced up what you're expecting to pay in parts and labor. As already mentioned this isn't a Civic you're rebuilding. Have a chat with a recognised builder and ask him to give you a rough quote as to the cost of the parts you want, the parts you've overlooked, the cost of labor in both fitting and getting everything to run in sync without blowing your block to bits and of course you know that when you come to sell it'll be worth peanuts compared to what you spent on it? Good Luck to you. Keep us posted. Have you read the thread about the guy who threw $250,000 at his GTR and he's never had it running right yet? Just something for you to think about!!!!

Last edited by samsniss350z; 08-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
kolkim

Well I can understand wanting to do it, but it sounds like you don't have much mechanical knowledge or experience. Driving and maintaining a car with mods like this requires you to at least be able to get under the hood and tinker when things start to go funny, because they will, and a lot more often than they would on a stock motor. If you have to take it to a shop every time it dies at idle or runs rough or makes some strange noises, you're going to go broke very fast and you're increasing your chances of grenading the motor tenfold. Building a VQ to 400+ horses is something you should aim for after having a little experience. Do some smaller mods and live with that for a while. A while meaning a year or two. Don't go from having never changed your air filter to dropping $25,000 worth of FI and supporting mods without any baby steps in between. You're setting yourself up for a lot of heartache if you do.

Do you know what's involved in tracking your car? Have you ever driven a stock car around a track before at a competitive level, let alone a highly modified rear wheel drive car? You're going to need to completely replace your brake setup from top to bottom if you're going to be doing nothing but tracking it hard. Coilovers will be a must and the majority of your suspension setup is going to need improved and upgraded if you're taking it to the track a lot.

And I'd say that's just the very basics, and that's not even touching your drivetrain yet. Before you get gung ho about building a track monster under the good, it needs an overhaul underneath that. What's carrying the car means a lot more on the track than what the car is carrying.

And ask anyone who has tried it, tracking this car with a stock brake setup is fun until about the third turn and your brakes take vacation.
I agree I need to learn alot but I assumed this is how youre supposed to learn. Maybe youre right about going 'expert' mode when I should learn on a beginner car. Maybe I could take a mechanical course and learn the basics.

I'm not going for a track monster to win races. More like go on the track and legally go really fast around corners and actually have fun with the car without endangering anyone but myself. I don't plan on taking the car to the track with just TT and Nos. Track would be later on, after it's 'finished'.

Moneywise, I'm going from 20k a year now to 130k a year starting December so I could probably afford to move out and pay for the car.

Last edited by kolkim; 08-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
kolkim

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
I don't wish this to be the reply of a hater but have you seriously priced up what you're expecting to pay in parts and labor. As already mentioned this isn't a Civic you're rebuilding.
My first post was asking how much people who have done what I want have paid, so this is the first step in figuring out prices for me. Also, nobody mentioned this isn't a civic I'm rebuilding. I don't see how that pertains to anything

of course you know that when you come to sell it'll be worth peanuts compared to what you spent on it? Good Luck to you. Keep us posted.
Yes. I understand that buying a car, is 99% of the time. A bad investment. They depreciate. I'm not trying to flip the car.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM
kaze06

I agree I need to learn alot but I assumed this is how youre supposed to learn. Maybe youre right about going 'expert' mode when I should learn on
beginner. Maybe I could take a mechanical course and learn the basics.

I'm not going for a track monster to win races. More like go on the track and legally go really fast around corners and actually have fun with the car without endangering anyone but myself. I don't plan on taking the car to the track with just TT and Nos. Track would be later on, after it's 'finished'.

Moneywise, I'm going from 20k a year now to 130k a year starting December so I could probably afford to move out and pay for the car.
If you want to go fast around the track, get a BBK, a great set of track wheels and tires, new SSteel brake lines, a nice helmet, and maybe even a set of quality coilovers and go to your local track and run the **** out of it. If you've never even driven a track before, just taking a stock Z with some good suspension mods around for a few hot laps is going to have you giddy like a schoolgirl. And if you're making 130,000 a year, start saving your money for a nice fat down payment on a GTR. Don't start throwing away your money into something you know little about and that will yield little return. It sounds like you still live with your parents, so focus on getting an apartment or a nice house with that kind of money, and THEN aim for a sweet ride. A stock Z is a very nice car to have and will turn plenty of heads. It will make your Civic feel like a sled and will keep you entertained for years to come. I personally think it sounds like you have no business getting into these kinds of mods yet. The guys doing this kind of stuff have many years of experience under their belt blowing **** up and putting it back together. Don't treat your new job or raise or whatever it may be as free disposable income to throw away on teenage dreams. Invest it in something.

You want something different? Wait a few years, get your finances in order, and buy a GTR. ****, if you are smart with investments, you might even pay cash for it. Then you'll have a bad *** car, the fastest accelerating production car in the world if you buy a new Nismo model, and you'll still be able to drop money into that and make it your own if you wish.

The unanimous advice from this board is going to be to not pursue this. Add a few bolt ons and some suspension mods if you want to track the car, and call it there. Use this car as your learning experience. Tinker with small things and teach yourself. Then you can build something worth being proud of down the road.

Look up the AMS Alpha GTR. Think building a Z sounds cool? Imagine driving that. Extreme case, but same concept. You can spend $60,000 on a Z and mods for it and it will never, ever come anywhere close to what a GTR is capable of overall from the factory floor with a manufacturers warranty. And you can drive it every day, it will be comfortable, and you'll turn heads like no other.

Last edited by kaze06; 08-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM
assad112000

this thread lost me when i saw "gtr" body kit.. just keep it clean... coils, wheels, front lip, and so forth..
Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
kolkim

If you want to go fast around the track, get a BBK, a great set of track wheels and tires, new SSteel brake lines, a nice helmet, and maybe even a set of quality coilovers and go to your local track and run the **** out of it. If you've never even driven a track before, just taking a stock Z with some good suspension mods around for a few hot laps is going to have you giddy like a schoolgirl. And if you're making 130,000 a year, start saving your money for a nice fat down payment on a GTR. Don't start throwing away your money into something you know little about and that will yield little return. It sounds like you still live with your parents, so focus on getting an apartment or a nice house with that kind of money, and THEN aim for a sweet ride. A stock Z is a very nice car to have and will turn plenty of heads. It will make your Civic feel like a sled and will keep you entertained for years to come. I personally think it sounds like you have no business getting into these kinds of mods yet. The guys doing this kind of stuff have many years of experience under their belt blowing **** up and putting it back together. Don't treat your new job or raise or whatever it may be as free disposable income to throw away on teenage dreams. Invest it in something.

You want something different? Wait a few years, get your finances in order, and buy a GTR. ****, if you are smart with investments, you might even pay cash for it. Then you'll have a bad *** car, the fastest accelerating production car in the world if you buy a new Nismo model, and you'll still be able to drop money into that and make it your own if you wish.

The unanimous advice from this board is going to be to not pursue this. Add a few bolt ons and some suspension mods if you want to track the car, and call it there. Use this car as your learning experience. Tinker with small things and teach yourself. Then you can build something worth being proud of down the road.

Look up the AMS Alpha GTR. Think building a Z sounds cool? Imagine driving that. Extreme case, but same concept. You can spend $60,000 on a Z and mods for it and it will never, ever come anywhere close to what a GTR is capable of overall from the factory floor with a manufacturers warranty. And you can drive it every day, it will be comfortable, and you'll turn heads like no other.
That cars a beast
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My first post was asking how much people who have done what I want have paid, so this is the first step in figuring out prices for me. Also, nobody mentioned this isn't a civic I'm rebuilding. I don't see how that pertains to anything
This pertains to the fact that you know F**k all about a civic. Just saying that the 350Z is just a little bit more technical than a civic. So you need an education is what I'm saying.

Yes. I understand that buying a car, is 99% of the time. A bad investment. They depreciate. I'm not trying to flip the car.
There's going to come a time when you're fed up with It coz you can't get it to run properly and you've thrown way more than your $130,000p.a. at it and you'll struggle to give it away because its not just the time but the premium money you paid for parts. As in my previous edit; read about the guy who threw $250,000 at a GTR wanting something special and its never run properly since he bought it new.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM
kolkim

There's going to come a time when you're fed up with It coz you can't get it to run properly and you've thrown way more than your $130,000p.a. at it and you'll struggle to give it away because its not just the time but the premium money you paid for parts. As in my previous edit; read about the guy who threw $250,000 at a GTR wanting something special and its never run properly since he bought it new.
Could you link me? That sounds interesting.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How about you read the FI sub forum. Close this stupid fking thread NOW!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

G-dayum what a waste of my time.

Start z build early ----- next year? Start build but Dont have a Z yet? Getting a $100k raise? Wow. IBTL
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn noobs and their dreamer threads, just do us all a favor and cut your wrist now please.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I will bet he will never get an FI Z
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

If I get the 350z then I would have fun taking time modding it to be mine. I would have one of the best 350zs in my area. If I got the GTR.. I would have a GTR.
That is subjective brah, come again.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,293 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I didnt mention this up top, but plan on $12k for a decent Z to start on and another $15k for a reliable second vehicle…the Z will not be your daily driver and you will need something to get you to and from work/school/life…no way you are cramming this work into a weekend!!

If I get the 350z then I would have fun taking time modding it to be mine
There are glimmers of 'fun' and 'stress relief' during the build, but with my experience it's can be stressful as hell...
Building a Z isn't like building a Civic. It requires a lot of money, a lot of knowledge, a lot of time, and a lot of dedication and maintenance. You're not going to drop FI in your Z, put it on the bottle, add supporting mods and daily drive it practically.
+1 and be sure to remove the word 'daily' from 'daily driver' because this will last 8 days and something WILL break and it will turn into garage art.

The GTR will still be faster, still be a lot more reliable, still be a much nicer riding vehicle, and will be more practical.
I hope (said loosely) after my built block, twins, gutted interior and whatever comes I can pull on a OEM GTR…

My plans are to eventually track it but first I want it to be fast in a drag race.
Track Z car and drag strip Z car are 3 different things…If you are serious about tracking the car read the rules and regulations before you start touching the engine…

this will be my last post on this thread…good luck OP...

Last edited by bealljk; 08-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 PM
mattleegee

Quick Reply: Starting my Z Build thread early.