Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Drop Spindles/Knuckles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 PM
murphaayyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Spindles/Knuckles?

I drive a g35 that i lowered and am looking into drop spindles for the front. I cannot find any info on these. maybe im using the wrong terms? Does anyone have a pair that they could comment on?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

drop spindles...? you talking about camber adjustment arms?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 PM
murphaayyy

no, im talking about spindles that actually help correct geometry with a lowered car. It would help with my negative camber up front as well as correct the geometry. The geometry is pretty far off now, really shown with the compression rod. i do have whiteline bushings for the compression rod but i can see the amount of angle it is now dealing with. I also have kinetix arms that are basically extended as far as they will go with out hitting. I trimmed my plastic in the arch to give the arm max clearance and was able to achieve ~-1.75.

edit: more referred to as steering knuckle (there is a difference between knuckle and spindle but to me they are essentially the same) is what the hub is bolted to and the tie rods and ball joints. drop spindles will help get you more visible drop with less suspension affects. essentially if you take a stock car, install drop spindles the car will be lower, but geometry the same. I plan to help the rear out with subframe bushings from sikky

Last edited by murphaayyy; 09-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Bmurray350z

i have no idea wtf ur talking about. never in my life heard of "drop spindles"
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM
murphaayyy

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
i have no idea wtf ur talking about. never in my life heard of "drop spindles"
lol, they are available for a lot of makes and have been used for a long time, wellll before i was born (24). I come from VW and even those things had spindle options to correct geometry. i understand most performance guys are not into the low car thing as well but figured with the 350 there had to be guys running them.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM
vrbigdish

for camber buy better control arms, kinetix are junk. SPL ftw
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Bmurray350z

only available alignment adjustment settings for the front are camber arms. some camber arm kits come with shim kits that allow for more adjustment.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM
murphaayyy

im not only trying to correct camber and looking at whats possible would be surprised if spl could bring me back more positive. i did spl camber/toe in the rear and saved money/spent it else where for front arms, id rather spend the extra 300 on sways. to call kinetix junk is pretty ignorant and not everyone can afford what you can.

edit: This is not just about alignment. A drop spindle will essentially mount the wheel/hub higher up at the same geometry to maintain performance. Its the reason why people say lowering a car kills handling/geometry. There are ways to correct that with a lowered car and has been done for decades. It is why sikky has their rear subframe bushings that raise the subframe, to fix geometry with a lowered car. seeing how you have absolutely no idea what im talking about im assuming they dont make them for the 350/g35

Last edited by murphaayyy; 09-26-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Not available for this car, would be cool for a track car.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:13 PM
murphaayyy

a performance car and no drop spindles kinda blows my mind..

Does anyone do anything to fix front geometry with low g or z? or is the stiff spring rates enough of a placebo effect. i also want to get rid of more of this negative camber, but i guess one day the arch could be modified to fix that and spl full bushing set up front would help. still nothing for tie rods and the extremed angles but i guess its w.e

Last edited by murphaayyy; 09-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 PM
BlackFaytZ

Moonface Racing Roll Center Adjuster For 350Z <- is that what you're looking for?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 AM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Talk to the guys in the "aggressive wheels and stretched tires" thread. There's a ton of slammed Z's in there.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 AM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

I had drop spindles on my full size Chevy truck back in the day. I went down 2" in the front & could have gone 4", but I didn't want to have clearance problems... You just can't do that on a Z.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Originally Posted by murphaayyy
im not only trying to correct camber and looking at whats possible would be surprised if spl could bring me back more positive. i did spl camber/toe in the rear and saved money/spent it else where for front arms, id rather spend the extra 300 on sways. to call kinetix junk is pretty ignorant and not everyone can afford what you can.

edit: This is not just about alignment. A drop spindle will essentially mount the wheel/hub higher up at the same geometry to maintain performance. Its the reason why people say lowering a car kills handling/geometry. There are ways to correct that with a lowered car and has been done for decades. It is why sikky has their rear subframe bushings that raise the subframe, to fix geometry with a lowered car. seeing how you have absolutely no idea what im talking about im assuming they dont make them for the 350/g35
kinetix are good for quick adjustments, but you do get what you pay for.... if you want to be slammed do coilovers
Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 AM
murphaayyy

Originally Posted by BlackFaytZ
Moonface Racing Roll Center Adjuster For 350Z <- is that what you're looking for?
yes! that is not a drop spindle but does essentially the same thing. rather than changing the spindle they just move the whole oem assembly up compared to the lower arm. it wont correct as much as a drop spindle but it is definitely a step in the right direction (also probably half the cost of what id expect drop spindles to cost). thank you :beer:

Originally Posted by blue350zed
Talk to the guys in the "aggressive wheels and stretched tires" thread. There's a ton of slammed Z's in there.
i have looked in that thread and all they care about is looks from what ive seen. i am not trying to cram the biggest wheel and compensate with camber and stretch. my old car was all about static slammed fitment, not performance. i want to take the infiniti in a slightly different direction.

Originally Posted by AshMan
I had drop spindles on my full size Chevy truck back in the day. I went down 2" in the front & could have gone 4", but I didn't want to have clearance problems... You just can't do that on a Z.
yes, then you know exactly what im talking about, i do like lowered trucks too but i have never owned or modified one. i was thinking about the design of the spindle and i could see there might be clearance issues with the upper balljoint and maybe thats why no one made any and made these raised ball joints.

Originally Posted by travlee9374
kinetix are good for quick adjustments, but you do get what you pay for.... if you want to be slammed do coilovers
I do agree you get what you pay for, and would not argue SPL is superior to Kinetix. I just dont find kinetix to be junk. I did install coilovers. heres a pic for reference, this is the day after doing coilovers and arms. car is now lower in the rear as well to get rid of some of the rake. I do not see it as being slammed but to me it is low.

Last edited by murphaayyy; 09-27-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

i have never seen drop spindles for a car, only trucks... but then again i have never really looked for them. quick google search just brings up your threads here and on the g forum. might be out of luck
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's see...lowered car...drop knuckles...low knuckles...dragging knuckles....

I got it!!

Lowered cars are for knuckle draggers.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Well here are the stats on the Z. You have about 20mm from factory before geometry goes out the window. From factory height , we have roughly 4 inches before hard parts start touching the ground. The upper control arm will top out as a properly sized tire starts to rub the inner fender.

For the cost of design and build, only a few people would actually want them. The HellaGay crowd doesn't care about geometry, and they won't help them get closer to the ground. Most of the daily cars are only lowered about an inch up front, and their geometry is still Ok. Only the serious track guys would really want a set, and the price would be freaking high. Then again us track guys can always cut the LCA mounts off and move them up to correct roll center.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:22 AM
murphaayyy

Originally Posted by travlee9374
i have never seen drop spindles for a car, only trucks... but then again i have never really looked for them. quick google search just brings up your threads here and on the g forum. might be out of luck
They are definitely out there. They are even offered for Hondas, just saying. But i do believe the design of the g35/350z knuckle with how the upper ball joint mounts could limit it, but im far from an engineer. at least they got these roll center adjusters.

Originally Posted by winchman
Let's see...lowered car...drop knuckles...low knuckles...dragging knuckles....

I got it!!

Lowered cars are for knuckle draggers.
Interesting. I always thought automatic sports cars are for knuckle draggers.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by murphaayyy
They are definitely out there. They are even offered for Hondas, just saying. But i do believe the design of the g35/350z knuckle with how the upper ball joint mounts could limit it, but im far from an engineer. at least they got these roll center adjusters.

Interesting. I always thought automatic sports cars are for knuckle draggers.
like i said.... i have never looked for them.... just saying

Quick Reply: Drop Spindles/Knuckles?