2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

confusing Z vs G preference poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
themyst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Hang on

Originally posted by 350ZOWNZ
Are you comparing the fastest times the G35Coupe and what the magazines say the 350Z can do? Ive seen 350Zs run 13.8s

heck i think motor trend just tested the 350Z and they got 13.777
if i wanted to compare the best runs for a 6MT g35 coupe i'd have put down 14.0. i'm comparing average runs here.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:19 PM
T.Lowry

Default Re: Re: confusing Z vs G preference poll

Originally posted by NzZ
It's all a matter of knowing you audience. TL/CL buyers (even Type-S buyers) probably have little if any interest in true performance. Or perhaps they weren't considering performance when purchasing the TL/CL. Either way, their priorities would be different from that of Z owners. I can understand why they'd want a G - sunroof, back seats, etc. I simply prefer the style and enjoy the performance offered by the Z. The Z is not only faster, but actually feels faster b/c of its lower seating position and firm suspension. The G35 just wallowed too much for me...the Z feels a little big to me...so the g35 felt like an aircraft carrier.

The other factor is looks. The G35 is certainly a handsome car, but it doesn't draw crowds at gas stations. And while there are some who don't like the lines of the Z, it does draw attention. The Z forces its good looks upon you, the G lets you notice them if you want to. Personally I like both ideas.

The bottom line is, the public is moved by a luxury nameplate. When people SEE the infiniti nameplate they think the car is superior to a Nissan. But if you step back and take a close look, I can only think of one Infiniti product that wasn't a complete flop - the G35. (They have made some cool cars though, I hope one day to find a low mileage Q45A)

NzZ

I actually started the other way. I was looking at the G35 and ended up with the Z. When I talk to people about my decision, not a single person said I should have went with the G35. Not because the G35 is not a great car, but because it is so much fun to own a sports car. I can't imagine that while driving the G35 around that I would have the same ear-to-ear grin that I do while driving my Z.

As you and others on the forum have said, the first question you have to ask is: "Do you want a sporty sedan/coupe or do you want a SPORTS CAR?" And the next question is "Do you want a CONVERTIBLE SPORTS CAR?" Sports car implies to me that you are willing to make sacrifices for the fun of owning and driving it and having people stop and stare as you drive by. It also says you are young enough not to have a lot of responsibilities, e.g. children to drive around, runs to Home Depot etc. or are old enough or have enough money that this is not your primary car. My practical side said wait until the G35 comes out in all wheel drive. My fun side said "Get a convertible" And a convertible sports car says that you really do put your fun ahead of any semblance of practicality.

The reasonable price of the Z Roadster and the excellent reviews made the decision easier. Even if there were a G35 roadster with all wheel drive I don't think I would have paid the extra money for it.

My brother said it best: "If you had bought the G35, every day you would wish you had gone with the Z. And when you saw one on the street, in the color you wanted, with those 18" rims, your heart would have broken."
Old 01-30-2004, 02:50 PM
themyst

Default Re: Re: Re: confusing Z vs G preference poll

Originally posted by T.Lowry
I actually started the other way. I was looking at the G35 and ended up with the Z. When I talk to people about my decision, not a single person said I should have went with the G35. Not because the G35 is not a great car, but because it is so much fun to own a sports car. I can't imagine that while driving the G35 around that I would have the same ear-to-ear grin that I do while driving my Z.

As you and others on the forum have said, the first question you have to ask is: "Do you want a sporty sedan/coupe or do you want a SPORTS CAR?" And the next question is "Do you want a CONVERTIBLE SPORTS CAR?" Sports car implies to me that you are willing to make sacrifices for the fun of owning and driving it and having people stop and stare as you drive by. It also says you are young enough not to have a lot of responsibilities, e.g. children to drive around, runs to Home Depot etc. or are old enough or have enough money that this is not your primary car. My practical side said wait until the G35 comes out in all wheel drive. My fun side said "Get a convertible" And a convertible sports car says that you really do put your fun ahead of any semblance of practicality.

The reasonable price of the Z Roadster and the excellent reviews made the decision easier. Even if there were a G35 roadster with all wheel drive I don't think I would have paid the extra money for it.

My brother said it best: "If you had bought the G35, every day you would wish you had gone with the Z. And when you saw one on the street, in the color you wanted, with those 18" rims, your heart would have broken."
Based on your profile, you're 40 years old with three kids. That must mean that you have another car for hauling the groceries, kids and wife. For a weekend car, the Z is undoubtedly better. For the daily haul, the G35 maintains daily drivability along with 95% of the performance. Imagine owning either the Z or G as your ONLY car. Which one would you choose?
Old 01-31-2004, 05:25 AM
BillR

Too much magazine racing here.

Lets try real world. I have raced 2 Z coupes and a Z roadster. EVERY time I won! Not by alot mind you, but the Z's front bumper was about at my rear bumper.

Both cars are GREAT! Also, the G doesn't suffer with all the problems like the Z for whatever reason. Each person has different needs or wants, I am just glad the we all share the passion for basically the same car.

BTW: my G is a 5AT!
Old 01-31-2004, 06:49 AM
Sr. Panza

Default Z is the way to go

I was considering getting the G before I got the Z but am glad I didn't every time I see a G on the road. I think the Z's looks will 'age' much better. Also the G seems to be stuck in some sort of limbo. It's more of a luxury car but not luxurious enough. Someone going for that 'yuppy-type' car is better off going for a Bimmer...though there are even MORE of those on the road. Besides true yuppies drive porsches.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:18 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by BillR

Lets try real world. I have raced 2 Z coupes and a Z roadster. EVERY time I won! Not by alot mind you, but the Z's front bumper was about at my rear bumper.

i've beaten a g35c in my z too...by a few car lengths... eliminate drivers from the equation and you can't argue the basic physics; the g is heavier and has the same engine with a more restrictive intake . do the math. i keep seeing posts from g35c owners that imply their cars are magically faster than the z...it's just not possible without mods.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:33 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by BillR

Both cars are GREAT! Also, the G doesn't suffer with all the problems like the Z for whatever reason. Each person has different needs or wants, I am just glad the we all share the passion for basically the same car.

I wish I lived around you.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
NzZ

Default Re: Re: Hang on

I've seen both raced by excellent drivers. Yes, drivers can and do make a huge difference. I don't base my assessment of a car's performance by magazine test numbers. I base it on time slips, cars I see running at the track, and occasionally on my own experience driving. My brother owns a G35 6mt, I own a 350Z. He and I are roughly equivalent drivers, we've put them through their paces against each other. Whether on a curvy road or flat ground, my Z worked his G. Oh yeah, and we switched cars and guess what...it happened again. :-) He agrees the Z is definitely the sports car of the two, but he likes the G's soft ride and rear seats. Also he claims he's too tall for the Z (that lucky bastard).

No one was arguing that the G35 isn't worth it - I stated myself it's a great value. You are definitely flawed in your analysis that the G has "better overall quality" than the Z as they share most of their mechanicals. My bro's G35 has been far from trouble free. I think you mistook me as attacking the G, that was not my intention. I in fact, had set out to get one. But after experiencing one for myself, I realized that the appearance and drive are just a little too bland for my taste. Even if the G was faster than the Z, I would have still bought the Z because it looks faster and feels much more responsive. Argue as you will, but Nissan designed the Z as a sports car, and the G35 as a sporty luxury coupe. In doing so, they made the Z a more visceral choice. For sports car buyers, the G35 doesn't offer the excitement of the Z...it's that simple.
NzZ

Originally posted by themyst
5.5 vs 5.4 0-60? 14.0 vs 14.1 quarter? I think thats enough to make it a drivers race. And where did you get this information that the G can't hang with the Z at the track? I recall the article with the G, Z, and s2k, but they were all quite close, and given different drivers, could have been a totally different outcome. Again, the HP differential can be easily made up with the addition of the z-tube... which would put the straight-line performance numbers even closer. And i think 0.1 seconds is worth the trade-off for getting similar looks, MUCH BETTER service, better warranty, rear seats, a sunroof, better visibility, a somewhat usable trunk and overall better quality than the Z. Keep in mind that the aftermarket for the Z is interchangeable with the G. The Z has heritage, a true sports car stance, and those nifty triple-gauge-pods, a huge price advantage (base and enthusiast models), but the G35C is right there with the Z in terms of everything else... with creature comforts to boot.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
qirex

Well put Nzz

I wonder what ppl wouldsay if they both had the same nameplate here in the USA as they do in japan.

Nissan isnt dumb. They have a fairlady and a Skyline - sold alongside one another. Both ae similar, but simply put - one is the sports car, the other the sports coupe.

If its not clear which is which heres a hint - the one that the use for the Japanese GT series.

Jut b/c the share the same engine and tranny and share sim suspension setups doesnt make them the same car.

The driving position is drastically different, the dash setp is diff- one for near lux, one for sport, look underneath both cars to see more differences.

Personally, I think the G is a great value as a daily driver. However, I too find it to be kinda plain, compromised and bloated.

I see a ton of ZGs being driven by women. They tend to be older middle aged soccer-mom types who think thye're deiving a bmw (great choice girls). On the other hand, whenever I see a woman driving a Z its always a younger, or at least spunky independent looking woman. Sort of like comparing women of any age
who drive corvettes vs those that drie bmws 328s.

Sports vs coupe.

Isnt it clear by now?