Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

confusing Z vs G preference poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:51 PM
zeroday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question confusing Z vs G preference poll

check out this poll. trying to figure out of it's just members of this site that like the G better or if most people actually feel that way. what have you guys seen out there as far as most people's preferences?

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...03#post1603103
Old 01-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Strife350z

it's not surprised considering the forum... acura cl owners, i'm guessing, are drawn to the G for the same reason they were drawn to their own cars in the first place... four seats, comfortable ride, nice interior, civilized demeanor

put the same poll on say, an s2k forum and i'm guessing it will be in favour of the Z (with a lot of "I choose S2K instead" flames )

just depends on what floats your boat
Old 01-27-2004, 08:14 PM
trash259

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Strife350z
it's not surprised considering the forum... acura cl owners, i'm guessing, are drawn to the G for the same reason they were drawn to their own cars in the first place... four seats, comfortable ride, nice interior, civilized demeanor

put the same poll on say, an s2k forum and i'm guessing it will be in favour of the Z (with a lot of "I choose S2K instead" flames )

just depends on what floats your boat

I think that poll was done on s2ki.com before....you may be surprise at the results....i wasn't.

I think this guy said it best:
Same ****...doeasn't really matter which u go w/. The G has slightlty nicer interior but the Z has a sportier look on the outside. It's basically like chosing which options u want and not which car!!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:58 PM
B2BigAl

They're both awsome cars, if I wasn't driving a Z, I'd be driving a G35. One thing I've noticed, there are a WHOLE lot more G35's on the road than there are Z's (at least here in OKC). I may see one other Z a week on the road(and I've yet to see another black one in the two months I've owned mine??), but I see at least five G's on my way to/from work every day. Course, I do live in Edmond, OK, where there are a ton of extremely wealthy people, who probably see Infinity as more of a status symbol like Lexus or BMW. That and maybe it seems a little more practical. Case in point, my boss loved my Z so much, he went out to buy one two days after I got mine, but his wife threw a fit because it was "an impracticle toy". So I tell him about the G35's, that they're really nice, sporty, and essentially the same car. He now owns a G35, because, I bet you can guess, his wife loved it. Go figure.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:30 AM
35oZephyR

Yeah I've noticed alot of G35c's around now. I guess everyone found out how affordable and pratical they can be for an everyday driver.

Did they get lenient on their leasing program?? On my campus I swear there is one in EVERY color. I see up to ten G35c's a day but on a fullmoon I'll see one with nice wheels.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:30 AM
FairladyZ

After seeing the attempt to sway the vote for the Z, and then the G guy posts some pics back. The Z looks 1000 times better.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:59 AM
BRZ33
Banned

CL'S are two door Accords, freakin Honda guys!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:10 AM
zeroday

No offense meant to g owners, i like the G, but I think of the G as kind of a pussed up yuppy Z...Z is more of an uncompromizing badass sports car...but I'm apparently in the minority on this thinking though. Maybe it's a label issue??

i found that g vs. z thread on s2ki.com and they also, by a vast majority liked the g much better than the Z so it's not just CL owners:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...ht=g35+vs+350z
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 AM
FairladyZ

no offense either, but I agree. Whenever I see one I tell people its a grandma's car. It's for old people who cant remember to adjust there seats, cant stand confined areas so they need a sunroof; which they never use, need a backseat, which noone can fit in anyways, its just for throwing crap on, etc...
Old 01-28-2004, 06:32 PM
zmann

I have to agree Nissan did a great job of creating dual personalities for this car. I know two people that ecently acquired G's: one sedan, once coupe. Like I told one of them who was asking me if the G was basically a Z, I said, "...yeah, sort of like a Z that has gone to charm school...". Interesting observation about my wife. I tried to interest her in a G35 coupe last year when they came out...she didn't like it. However, when I got my Z, she loved it. She didn't know they were basically the same car underneath until I told her. Funny how that goes. It's sort of like the Maxima vs. the I35; I always thought of the I as a knock-off, or afterthought and the Maxima was the "real" Maxima. I guess I sort of feel that way about the G vs. the Z, i.e., the 350 is the "real" Z. Human nature and personal bias, I guess. I'm just glad to see them on the road. And I'm glad our Z's are more exclusive! Better for us.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
NzZ

Default Re: confusing Z vs G preference poll

It's all a matter of knowing you audience. TL/CL buyers (even Type-S buyers) probably have little if any interest in true performance. Or perhaps they weren't considering performance when purchasing the TL/CL. Either way, their priorities would be different from that of Z owners. I can understand why they'd want a G - sunroof, back seats, etc. I simply prefer the style and enjoy the performance offered by the Z. The Z is not only faster, but actually feels faster b/c of its lower seating position and firm suspension. The G35 just wallowed too much for me...the Z feels a little big to me...so the g35 felt like an aircraft carrier.

The other factor is looks. The G35 is certainly a handsome car, but it doesn't draw crowds at gas stations. And while there are some who don't like the lines of the Z, it does draw attention. The Z forces its good looks upon you, the G lets you notice them if you want to. Personally I like both ideas.

The bottom line is, the public is moved by a luxury nameplate. When people SEE the infiniti nameplate they think the car is superior to a Nissan. But if you step back and take a close look, I can only think of one Infiniti product that wasn't a complete flop - the G35. (They have made some cool cars though, I hope one day to find a low mileage Q45A)

NzZ
Originally posted by zeroday
check out this poll. trying to figure out of it's just members of this site that like the G better or if most people actually feel that way. what have you guys seen out there as far as most people's preferences?

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...03#post1603103

Last edited by NzZ; 01-28-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:33 PM
35oZephyR

Speaking of flop...

My first car was an Infiniti M30 also remembered as Infiniti's first sports coupe. They discontinued it and I understand why. That thing was a POS and i swore never to buy another Nissan product EVER again. Of course things change!

I think comparing the Z and the G is pointless. The Z is of course THE sports car. The G is totally bland and posh compared to it but if a luxury car is what you want then the G would be a better pick.

In a perfect world I'd have a G35c as well but only for a different application. I'd never sit there and be like "hmmm is the Z or G better?" I know they're the same platform but it's as pointless as pondering...
"Is the F150 or Expedition a better truck for me?"

It's too subjective and totally depends on who the person is/ what they like to do. This is just my perspective of course because once again...it's all subjective.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 PM
themyst

um... the g35 pulls more lateral G's in stock form, pulls quarter mile times very comparable to the Z, and whatever hp lost in the g35 can be regained by getting the Z intake tube. And I get all this in a car that HAS a sunroof, rear seats and a larger trunk than the Z. The Z is definitely a weekend car, great for people who don't drive 60 miles every day, but the G can do everything the Z can... in some cases better. I was a previous Z owner that recently traded in for the G35. The Z had its moments, but there were too many sacrifices I had to make. The Z can definitely be had for much less than a G35C 6MT though.... 26k for a base model, even 28k for an enthusiast. G35C 6MTs start at 32k without the premium package. But compare a 350Z touring to a G35C, then the value for the money starts skewing in the g35's favor. Compare a Track model Z (the biggest ripoff out of the 5 Z trim levels IMO) to the G35C and the value really starts skewing in the G's favor.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:58 PM
NzZ

Default Hang on

First of all, the G35 is significantly slower than a Z in 0-60 and quarter mile. You may state just a few tenths of a second, but that is huge amongst sporty cars. Bring your G to houston, I'll show you. :-) In terms of handling, the G35 feels nowhere as buttoned down as the Z. I was set to get one, but discovered more body roll than I wanted from a sports car. It's slalom times are faster than the Z only b/c of its long wheelbase. Take them to a track, and the G will have a hard time keeping up (stock vs stock).

I'll agree w/you about the value of the Z vs G...the G is a good value, but they are both similar cars with similar equipment at similar prices. I'm really sorry that the Z didn't work out for you, but from the sounds of things you really wanted a luxury car not a sports car. Nothing to be ashamed of. We all grow old. :-) (jk)

NzZ

Originally posted by themyst
um... the g35 pulls more lateral G's in stock form, pulls quarter mile times very comparable to the Z, and whatever hp lost in the g35 can be regained by getting the Z intake tube. And I get all this in a car that HAS a sunroof, rear seats and a larger trunk than the Z. The Z is definitely a weekend car, great for people who don't drive 60 miles every day, but the G can do everything the Z can... in some cases better. I was a previous Z owner that recently traded in for the G35. The Z had its moments, but there were too many sacrifices I had to make. The Z can definitely be had for much less than a G35C 6MT though.... 26k for a base model, even 28k for an enthusiast. G35C 6MTs start at 32k without the premium package. But compare a 350Z touring to a G35C, then the value for the money starts skewing in the g35's favor. Compare a Track model Z (the biggest ripoff out of the 5 Z trim levels IMO) to the G35C and the value really starts skewing in the G's favor.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 AM
Dissolved

The supra guys like the G better too. I'll tell you why. The Z car has been an object of desire since it's been made. Toyota has always been riding Nissans tail since. The 2000gt, mk2, mk3 wtf were those LOL. They didnt really get things right until '93. 3 years after the z32tt was out dominating. It's no suprise there why they'd choose a G over the Z name.

The acura guys probably like the added luxury of the G better.
I know the Z isnt the greatest car around, but a lot of people have ***** envy
Old 01-30-2004, 06:40 AM
g35cfan

Nice civilized comparos in here. I agree that the G is a softer, "pussed up yuppy Z," although I wouldn't exactly use those words. No, I am not a grandpa. I am 25, and I just prefered the looks of the G. The leather seats, heated seats, sunroof, etc were a very nice bonus. I also just didn't feel comfortable with having just 2 seats. The rear seats, although lacking in headroom, have been quite useful. Most women fit nicely back there. If they were both 2 seaters, I still would have bought the G (I prefer its looks). Although not a big determining factor, the Infiniti service at my dealership is top notch. I love getting loaners, where as I have to wait hours in a crummy waiting area to get my Frontier serviced.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Montez

Default Re: Re: confusing Z vs G preference poll

Originally posted by NzZ
It's all a matter of knowing you audience. TL/CL buyers (even Type-S buyers) probably have little if any interest in true performance. Or perhaps they weren't considering performance when purchasing the TL/CL. Either way, their priorities would be different from that of Z owners. I can understand why they'd want a G - sunroof, back seats, etc. I simply prefer the style and enjoy the performance offered by the Z. The Z is not only faster, but actually feels faster b/c of its lower seating position and firm suspension. The G35 just wallowed too much for me...the Z feels a little big to me...so the g35 felt like an aircraft carrier.

The other factor is looks. The G35 is certainly a handsome car, but it doesn't draw crowds at gas stations. And while there are some who don't like the lines of the Z, it does draw attention. The Z forces its good looks upon you, the G lets you notice them if you want to. Personally I like both ideas.

The bottom line is, the public is moved by a luxury nameplate. When people SEE the infiniti nameplate they think the car is superior to a Nissan. But if you step back and take a close look, I can only think of one Infiniti product that wasn't a complete flop - the G35. (They have made some cool cars though, I hope one day to find a low mileage Q45A)

NzZ
I disagree and not for a fact that the G35 was the only car not to be a complete flop for Infiniti. The I30/I35 was the car that kept Infiniti around and was quite successful for them.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:50 PM
themyst

Default Re: Re: Re: confusing Z vs G preference poll

Originally posted by Montez
I disagree and not for a fact that the G35 was the only car not to be a complete flop for Infiniti. The I30/I35 was the car that kept Infiniti around and was quite successful for them.
you forget the fx35/45 which is showing up in great bunches out there on the road now. Infiniti is finally learning.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:04 PM
themyst

Default Re: Hang on

Originally posted by NzZ
First of all, the G35 is significantly slower than a Z in 0-60 and quarter mile. You may state just a few tenths of a second, but that is huge amongst sporty cars. Bring your G to houston, I'll show you. :-) In terms of handling, the G35 feels nowhere as buttoned down as the Z. I was set to get one, but discovered more body roll than I wanted from a sports car. It's slalom times are faster than the Z only b/c of its long wheelbase. Take them to a track, and the G will have a hard time keeping up (stock vs stock).

I'll agree w/you about the value of the Z vs G...the G is a good value, but they are both similar cars with similar equipment at similar prices. I'm really sorry that the Z didn't work out for you, but from the sounds of things you really wanted a luxury car not a sports car. Nothing to be ashamed of. We all grow old. :-) (jk)

NzZ
5.5 vs 5.4 0-60? 14.0 vs 14.1 quarter? I think thats enough to make it a drivers race. And where did you get this information that the G can't hang with the Z at the track? I recall the article with the G, Z, and s2k, but they were all quite close, and given different drivers, could have been a totally different outcome. Again, the HP differential can be easily made up with the addition of the z-tube... which would put the straight-line performance numbers even closer. And i think 0.1 seconds is worth the trade-off for getting similar looks, MUCH BETTER service, better warranty, rear seats, a sunroof, better visibility, a somewhat usable trunk and overall better quality than the Z. Keep in mind that the aftermarket for the Z is interchangeable with the G. The Z has heritage, a true sports car stance, and those nifty triple-gauge-pods, a huge price advantage (base and enthusiast models), but the G35C is right there with the Z in terms of everything else... with creature comforts to boot.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:15 PM
350ZOWNZ

Default Re: Re: Hang on

Originally posted by themyst
5.5 vs 5.4 0-60? 14.0 vs 14.1 quarter? I think thats enough to make it a drivers race. And where did you get this information that the G can't hang with the Z at the track? I recall the article with the G, Z, and s2k, but they were all quite close, and given different drivers, could have been a totally different outcome. Again, the HP differential can be easily made up with the addition of the z-tube... which would put the straight-line performance numbers even closer. And i think 0.1 seconds is worth the trade-off for getting similar looks, MUCH BETTER service, better warranty, rear seats, a sunroof, better visibility, a somewhat usable trunk and overall better quality than the Z. Keep in mind that the aftermarket for the Z is interchangeable with the G. The Z has heritage, a true sports car stance, and those nifty triple-gauge-pods, a huge price advantage (base and enthusiast models), but the G35C is right there with the Z in terms of everything else... with creature comforts to boot.
Are you comparing the fastest times the G35Coupe and what the magazines say the 350Z can do? Ive seen 350Zs run 13.8s

heck i think motor trend just tested the 350Z and they got 13.777

Quick Reply: confusing Z vs G preference poll