Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LS Swap with Auto-Trans??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSX refers to any engine in the LS family without the designation number, what is so confusing about that?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by jerryd87
all the lsx engine have the exact same external dimensions the swap kits are all the exact same. i highly do not recommend swapping for less then 1000whp though
Oh im not doing this now but im looking at backup plans for when the DE dies on me, either going built DE engine for some NA powah, or going with lsx motor swap, also depends on if i have the Z at that point

Last edited by stuartc323; 10-17-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM
sk8r776

Originally Posted by stuartc323
LSX refers to any engine in the LS family without the designation number, what is so confusing about that?
No LSX does not mean LS and the number. There is a motor made by GM called the LSX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#7.0_L
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
the_baitzboy

OP;

LS(X), notice the parenthesis, is just an open ended way to say LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7 and LS9 and also annotates which specific parts are interchangeable between platforms. However, trucks and suvs that have the L33, the L93, LY5, etc those are iron block versions of the LS lineup. You need to get on the LS1tech and performancetrucks forum and ask those guys because they have all the answers and work with the setup you claim you want to do, thats where I get all my info. I have an LS3 and will be using the T56 out of a pontiac GTO with ZL1 gearing(when the money becomes available), which also comes in the older Camaro and Corvettes. Also, the "LSX motor" is a actual motor, *not an LS10* and it is designed to use LS1, LS2 and LS7 engine components and parts interchangeably, its like a buffet for car parts. LS3 and LS6 share parts. Im not sure about LS9, probably because its too new. I dropped the 4L trannys because theres no guarantee it'll fit in the tunnel without having to adjust the firewall, the size dimensions are a little bigger than what our cars can do. This is all under the assumption that you want to use the current engine location. Again, refer to the forums I mentioned earlier and talk to Summitracing, their project advice center is pretty awesome.

Last edited by the_baitzboy; 10-18-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: forgot who I was addressing
Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

actually if your active in the lsx world EVERYONE who actually works on them refers to them as lsx, why? because its a quick way to refer to the entire engine series, the x stands for a variable as in 1,2,3,4,6,7 and is ALSO used to refer to the truck engines, ly5,l33,lq4,lq9, saying lsx is far easier.

what YOU are referring to(btw wikipedia is a poor choice to quote) is the lsX block where the CAPITAL X refers to extreme the lsx376 that is referred to on that page is not actually a lsX block, its actually a lq9 block with the ls3 heads on to it and ls3 hotcam in it. the lsX block is built for 2000 hp, it also is $2000 for a BARE block without any finish machine work know how i know? because ive seen the engine in person in case your new i used to work at several GM dealers and used to build lsx engines.

want further proof? oh look they all show up http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lsx-engine

want even more? https://www.google.com/search?q=lsx3...1tech&safe=off

https://www.google.com/search?q=lsx3...class&safe=off

oh look lsx conversion using all different generations http://www.texas-speed.com/c-2123-tu...-packages.aspx

the only people who insist on calling it a "ls" instead of lsx are the people who dont actually know anything about the engines and have never been around them.

lsx or LSx != lsX or LSX capitalization is key however the lsX is a lsx
Originally Posted by sk8r776
No LSX does not mean LS and the number. There is a motor made by GM called the LSX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#7.0_L

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM
jerryd87

no **** and every time its some guy using wikipedia for info and has never worked on one of them or any v8 and dosnt understand the universal classification of the domestic world, exactly how all gen 1 engines are SBC's no matter which engine it actually is.

my favorite though are the "my buddy has one that he had built by shop xyz" second hand and tertiary information ftw..............
Originally Posted by graffkid732

Seems to be a daily subject whether on here or 350z group on FB haha.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
jerryd87

going to have a major issue bro, the GTO used a t56, but the ZL1 uses a tremec 6060(same manufacturer, similar but different transmission not interchangable.) unless your saying your getting aftermarket gears to fit in the t56? in which case you would be better just getting a 6060 to start with since the bell housing already exists.

as far as the parenthesis you will not find anyone who does that, if your actually spending time on ls1tech you would notice that, the engine family was referred to as lsx YEARS before the lsX block came out and nothing changed when it did come out except capitalizing the last letter when referring to the racing block. or hell some people simply refer to it as the bowtie lsx since thats what it is is a bowtie racing block.

all parts are interchangeable, cranks, cams, rods,intakes. the only thing you have to be careful of is the reluctor wheels but you can swap those with the correct ecu they fit in the same engines. the other thing is watching valve sizes with some of the larger heads and high lift cams, need to ensure you arnt shrouding the valves or have so much lift that the valve hits the cylinder wall. not something a dohc engine has.(for instance trying ls3 heads on 4.8L, 5.3L or 5.7L they will bolt on, but hit the cylinder walls at a certain lift that i cant remember atm. and frankly considering i just got out of the hospital today dont feel like going through my old notes.)
Originally Posted by the_baitzboy
OP;

LS(X), notice the parenthesis, is just an open ended way to say LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7 and LS9 and also annotates which specific parts are interchangeable between platforms. However, trucks and suvs that have the L33, the L93, LY5, etc those are iron block versions of the LS lineup. You need to get on the LS1tech and performancetrucks forum and ask those guys because they have all the answers and work with the setup you claim you want to do, thats where I get all my info. I have an LS3 and will be using the T56 out of a pontiac GTO with ZL1 gearing(when the money becomes available), which also comes in the older Camaro and Corvettes. Also, the "LSX motor" is a actual motor, *not an LS10* and it is designed to use LS1, LS2 and LS7 engine components and parts interchangeably, its like a buffet for car parts. LS3 and LS6 share parts. Im not sure about LS9, probably because its too new. I dropped the 4L trannys because theres no guarantee it'll fit in the tunnel without having to adjust the firewall, the size dimensions are a little bigger than what our cars can do. This is all under the assumption that you want to use the current engine location. Again, refer to the forums I mentioned earlier and talk to Summitracing, their project advice center is pretty awesome.