Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in 2003 350Z and 2008 350Z ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The model I am getting IS the base model. The steering wheel has no buttons. The credit union didn't make me spend more money, and not get the car I wanted.. I was getting a Base model 2003 before.. I'm happy to spend another thousand or 2 for the engine improvement, and frankly.. it is a newer car , let's be honest.

That doesn't scare me, but does make me curious -- What am I missing out by buying a 2008 that doesn't have the "buttons" on the steering wheel.

The one I am buying already has an Aftermarket headunit installed that has a screen that fills the entire spot like it was factory.. it has from what I can see I USB plug in spot,.. aux port.. cd, radio.. has bluetooth on it.. and who knows what else. It's not a big deal for me personally if I can't mute, change stations, turn volume up and down and such from the steering wheel.

As another poster mentioned -- if you are a car guy you buy the 350 for the performance or the "car".. not the interior options that can all be added in some fashion or another.

So Z2ZFL350Z -- What exactly am I misssing out on? You said I shouldn't even consider buying a base model.

That problem with that, is my father is helping on this car.. and we literally have to finish this deal up this week.. due to both our work and time constraints.. so that has me limited to what is on the market right now.. and the most I personally can afford is 17k .. With my situation, the market only has X number of cars in this price range that have my requirements which are.

1) Coupe
2) Manual
3) Miles no higher than 39k
4) 2008+

The car I am likely to buy has 33k miles, is 2008.. is silver/gray.. and is a Base model.

Was originally priced at 20k or thereabout.. and talked the manager down over a lengthy conversation of "hold on I'll be right back.." to 17k OUT the door.. no dock fee, etc. It also helps that I'll be paying the 2 percent tax in my state (I'm buying out of state) due to there not being any 350Z's under 40k miles, 2008 , manual that are in my actual STATE.. Wish there were, trust me.

You guys honestly think I'm making a mistake buy not buying a car that has buttons on the steering wheel and whatever options the non-base cars have? The car looks gorgeous to me.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

one advantage to the cruise control is that my tuner put 5 different banks on my car when he tuned it, you push down the coast/accelerate rocker and hit cancel for the different banks

1- 93 octane gas
2 -91 octane gas
3- cruising, wont go over 3000 rpm or 80 mph
4- valet, wont go over 20 mph
5 - kill... wont start at all
Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

$17k for an 2008 HR 6MT Z with 33k original miles is a steal, as long as the record is clean. Good on ya.

I love my 2008 Base. I don't need/want all of the bell&whistles of the "upgraded" models (TCS, cruise control, leather seats, etc.)... The OEM VLSD isn't exactly high quality which many Z owners will agree... and I'm just going to replace my base's open diff with a quality aftermarket unit like Quaife or OS Giken down the road.

Will you be tracking your Z at all?

Last edited by pyshin; 12-12-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

yeah 17 isnt bad.... i paid almost 24, but that was also a couple years ago
Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 PM
04SilverBulletZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better deal than I did. Bought a 04 touring w/ only 28k miles, had the heated leather seats and sat nav. Only setback, it's DE & 5AT, LOL! I wanted touring tho w/ low miles so I was happy to pay 16K

...If I'd found a newer HR engine for 18-20k and low mi, I would've been alot happier though
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I switched to another buyer as he contacted me at the very last minute.

It is a 2008 with 27k miles.. paying a little more, 17.5k. But it's a Fairlady Z edition (which I looked up and I think that's just what all 350Z's are called.. so that isn't a special edition is it? And does it have any other features ? Or is it just base?)

The interior has no buttons on steering wheel.. but has a CD/ Satellite radio that looks like just a big screen where the radio goes.. Did they come factory with this type of screen? It looks factory, if it's not it was installed to fit absolutely perfectly.

Talked to the guy and he had all his service, oil changes, everything done at Nissan.. and has the records to back it up. Carfax report also shows it clean and confirms the Nissan services. He had the brakes done less than a month ago, so couldn't push him down to 17. He stuck at 17.5k. So I agreed.

Just curious.

As I look at the pictures.. The badge on the back left says Fairlady Z -- It's advertised as a Fairlady. But what I read is Fairlady should be right hand drive, and this is normal left hand drive. Just an emblem swap?

The rims are also chrome.. factory wheels but chromed.

Oh and it has side airbags, and a tilt and telescopic steering wheel.

Any of that make any sense.

I'm buying the car regardless, just curious if it has anything beyond base,.. or if it's a base car.

Thanks for all your input!

Last edited by Chromatic; 12-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Haptic

If it has no buttons on the steering wheel then it's a base model. Sometimes I miss cruise control but I have a base model and it's not really a downgrade, plus I prefer cloth seats. Also base models don't have electronic seat controls. Unless you absolutely need cruise control, base models are great minus the awful open diff but that's not a terribly expensive fix, 1k-1.5k depending on if you install it or pay somebody to. I don't know if it was mentioned but a huge difference for the manuals from 03-05 especially 03 and 04 was the very weak synchros in the transmission, resulting in gear grinds when shifting after very little use often times. The 06-08 had what's called a CD009 transmission which is revised and has triple and double cone synchros. But you're getting an 08 so you're good. Welcome to the forums.

P.S. the fairlady z badge was most likely put on afterwards because that's what the car is badged as in the U.K. and Japan, but those cars are right hand drive and the fact that yours isn't, shows it is a U.S. version.

Last edited by Haptic; 12-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 727FL350z
The 07-08 (HR) Z's are upgraded in every aspect of the car. Literally almost every corner of the car is changed for the better in some way. Make sure the Z your looking at isn't a "base" model as they did not come with as many options. The higher models almost cost nothing more so I wouldn't settle for a base. As the Enthusiast and touring models come with a little more options that would be quite expensive to put in yourself. Easiest way to tell is to see if the steering wheel has any buttons on it. If it doesn't then it is a base. The price doesn't vary to much between models unless it's a grand touring model.

Interior actually changed quite a bit in sense of cosmetics.
03 interior

07 interior (ignore the seats)
That 1st pic is a REV UP, 06, look at the tach, 7K Redline.

Other than a slightly better interior and Touring Models with a Blutooth option, 03-08, daily driving youll never notice the difference. At the track however....
Old 12-26-2013, 06:03 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

read this -
https://my350z.com/forum/2512021-post11.html

then read the whole post starting here-
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

This is sticky'd at the top of this sub-forum. Top 100 questions.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Having owned and raced several Zs (SCCA and NASA road racing), including my pre-order '03 track model, I agree with most of the posts here. The mid-model update (07-08) is worthwhile. The VQ35HR is a significantly changed powertrain from the VQ35DE, with almost 60% different parts. It's actually more closely related to the current VQ37VHR which is used in the current 370Z and G37 than the older engine. However, but the HR and DE provide superlative low end torque, while the HR improves on the high-end of the rev range by providing a few more ponies up there.

As others have said, the HR clutch slave can be a problem, but usually only if you take it to the track and get it really heat-soaked. The concentric slave design has been used on several other high-end cars and can provide years of good use, depending on how hard it's used.

The interior upgrades are valuable and well-done; I think you'll be happy with your new purchase. And just to confirm: there was no Fairlady Z edition for North America. What you are purchasing is a Base model Z- the Fairlady graphics were added later. It sounds like you've got an aftermarket headunit and I think you'll find the steering wheel has a tilt adjustment, but no telescoping as that was not featured on any Z model. Have fun with your new purchase!

Last edited by dkmura; 12-26-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:22 AM
dizenman

If you want an idea of how differently they perform...I had an 06 5at with plenum spacer and Intake. I currently have an 07 with intake and test pipes. I have this one little street I test how fast I can hit on. With my old z my record was 83. My rx8 hit 79. My current z when it had just intakes hit 89. Now that I added test pipes and swapped my wheels for rpf1s I'm hitting 97!

The 07s are a whole different car IMO
Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dizenman
If you want an idea of how differently they perform...I had an 06 5at with plenum spacer and Intake. I currently have an 07 with intake and test pipes. I have this one little street I test how fast I can hit on. With my old z my record was 83. My rx8 hit 79. My current z when it had just intakes hit 89. Now that I added test pipes and swapped my wheels for rpf1s I'm hitting 97!

Sounds illegal...
Old 12-26-2013, 05:29 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Sounds illegal...
Well in that case, it's this one particular straight on a race track I frequent on occasion.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:42 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dizenman

You realize a 5AT, '06 Z is arguably the SLOWEST 350Z in the family?
Edit: Wait, the 5AT, '06, that still had the DE right? Only the 6MT had that Rev Up, i believe?
Another edit: From 89 to 97? Hard to believe. Is that GPS or speedo? Wheel sawp, your speedo is way off I bet.

Last edited by Firebase99; 12-27-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 727FL350z
The 07-08 (HR) Z's are upgraded in every aspect of the car. Literally almost every corner of the car is changed for the better in some way. Make sure the Z your looking at isn't a "base" model as they did not come with as many options. The higher models almost cost nothing more so I wouldn't settle for a base. As the Enthusiast and touring models come with a little more options that would be quite expensive to put in yourself. Easiest way to tell is to see if the steering wheel has any buttons on it. If it doesn't then it is a base. The price doesn't vary to much between models unless it's a grand touring model.

Interior actually changed quite a bit in sense of cosmetics.
03 interior

07 interior (ignore the seats)
Truly amazing what a change in lighting will do for a photo. Interiors are basically the same, very minor changes and the newer interior scratches much easier.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by Firebase99
You realize a 5AT, '06 Z is arguably the SLOWEST 350Z in the family?
Edit: Wait, the 5AT, '06, that still had the DE right? Only the 6MT had that Rev Up, i believe?
Another edit: From 89 to 97? Hard to believe. Is that GPS or speedo? Wheel sawp, your speedo is way off I bet.
Yes, I know that's probably the slowest z. My point is it's night and day. And I didn't believe it the first time I saw it either, and now that you brought it up you're right. I knew those gains were too good to be true lol. My actual speed is 93. Which is still considerably better than the 89 and the 83 of the 06.