Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got back from Audi World TT Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 09:24 AM
rai

Originally posted by Corto
I rented from National Exclusive in San Francisco. They have 3 Zs in their fleet. All enthusiast trim. Blue, red and silver. I got the silver one. Check out their website "www.specialtyrentals.com". Pricey to rent but it's the best way to test drive a car if you're interested in buying.

And this tread is not about bashing other cars. We can keep it civilized - it's always cool to compare and to discuss the plus and minus of a certain automobile. That's why we're enthusiasts after all!

Cheers!
How much does it cost per day? Just curious. Automatic or manual tranny??
Old 09-16-2002 | 10:54 AM
Cintel7

<hr>
Speaking of the S2000, does anyone think that Honda would ever change over to a higher torque V6 for this car to compete with the 350z?
</hr>

Prediction: When the NSX gets a v8 (probably a derivative of the new RL V8), the s2000 will get the v6 (3.2L or 3.5L).
Old 09-16-2002 | 11:23 AM
THrussT

Default Re: pink slips

Originally posted by nissan350zparts
When the full impact of the Nissan 350Z hits USA why would anyone in there right mind buy a audi tt or BMW 3 series or a boxter or even a 911? Like when the '90 300z came out well, Nissan has really pushed the techno envelope with the 350Z. The ragtop Z will further put nails in the coffin for competetion. It will take years for Porsche, BMW, Audi to recover. You want a 2+2 get the G35. Seems like they will move to SUV's to make $$. I see layoffs in the future for the German car makers trying to compete against the Z. Even the Honda S2000 will go the way of the "del sol" model.
Hello everyone. As a 41-year-old automobile enthusiast first and brand loyalist a distant second, I felt compelled to visit your watering hole here and hopefully have a sip or two of your enthusiastic grog. Granted, I'm a die-hard S2000 owner (who spends most of my online time down the hall at s2ki.com) but thought you'd like to know there are many of us Honda owners are thrilled to have another "drivers" car on lots normally polluted with endless rows of SUV's and minivans. Thank God the late 90's are over. The way I see it, it's always better for each of us when manufacturers put the cookie cutters down for a year or two and offer up some real "meat and potatoes" performance vehicles. I welcome back the letter "Z" to the import fold. Nice to have it around again, having been weened on the earlier versions. To this day, I still think the 300 incarnation is a stunner.
At the risk of my first post illiciting "oh swell, it's another S2000 owner banging on the door" impression, I'd like to respond to the above boldfaced comment.
I don't recall Mazda or Toyota running to hide when the 300ZX arrived. In fact, what followed was perhaps (arguably so) two of the finest Japanese sportscars EVER to grace our shores, that being the Supra Turbo and RX7 3rd gen. Competition is ALWAYS good and I would think the LAST thing you guys would want is for other manufacturers to wave a white flag. What incentive would Nissan have to improve their car, if even marginally so? I love my convertible banshee and despite the great #'s the Z is putting out, don't feel any urgency to change the receipe. The S2000 is strictly a limited production vehicle whose sales numbers will be dwarfed by the Z. I sort of like it that way. I have seen/driven the Audi TT and think for many folks who aren't seeking a "to the edge" sportscar, it's a viable choice. The interior ergonomics/asthetics (with the baseball glove option) are a sight to behold. I've owned a BMW Z3 and while it's not nearly as much fun to drive as the S2000, still a gorgeous automobile with a very loyal fan base. I'm all for enthusiasm, but I hardly doubt the ragtop Z will be nailing shut any coffins. I'm sure it will be a fine automobile, but I think Nissan will be gunning more towards the luxury ragtop crowd, rather than the "***** out" S2000/Boxster S type of owner. I think there is a void between the low 30K convertibles and the 40-50K options so Nissan would fill that gap nicely and give the prospective SLK or Lexus SC430 owner something to think about. As for taking "years for Porsche, BMW, etc" to recover.
Nonsense. These companies are leaders of automotive technology, certainly not followers. The only thing the M roadster runs from is the competition.
As for the S2000 going the way of the Del Sol based on a Z ragtop, all I have to add to that hysteria is:

It's ok to love your car. Just don't luvvvv your car.

I welcome the "new kid on the block" and hope we can all see beyond the tach and enjoy our rides. I'd like to get behind the wheel of a Track Z myself but in the end, probably would retain the tight grip on my Honda key fob. Regardless, there is plenty of room for all of us. A road filled with nothing but Z's or S2000's would be mighty boring.

Last edited by THrussT; 09-16-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2002 | 11:41 AM
LA-Z

Basically most of the negative comments towards one car or another is just dick measuring. Bottom line is their are + and - to all cars, S2000, Boxter-S and 350Z alike. Cost, speed, handeling, how hard you have to drive it, modability, etc. Each car will be unique. I think that first off, the style attracts someone to a car, then of course the performance has to be there, can't be all talk persay. The real bottom line is that is almost always winds up, as far as races and speed is concerend, to the driver. If I race a M3 and that person can't or doesn't want to push his car, and can't drive well, I will beat him, doesn't mean my car is faster, handles better etc. I think there is too much ***** fencing in car forums, and lets leave that to the BonoBo Monkeys, who are quite good at it.
Old 09-16-2002 | 01:01 PM
rai

Default Re: pink slips

Originally posted by nissan350zparts
When the full impact of the Nissan 350Z hits USA why would anyone in there right mind buy a audi tt or BMW 3 series or a boxter or even a 911? Like when the '90 300z came out well, Nissan has really pushed the techno envelope with the 350Z. The ragtop Z will further put nails in the coffin for competetion. It will take years for Porsche, BMW, Audi to recover. You want a 2+2 get the G35. Seems like they will move to SUV's to make $$. I see layoffs in the future for the German car makers trying to compete against the Z. Even the Honda S2000 will go the way of the "del sol" model.
I'm a big 350Z fan, but BMW and porsche are not going anywhere. BMW and Porsche make more in profit on some of their cars than the selling price of a Z. There is a line around the block for the M3/M5, as well as the 911 turbo.

If I recall correctly the 300ZX was the one that became extinct not the 911.

Also the S2000 is nothing like the del sol. The del sol will be a humerous footnote in history, the S2000 will be a classic. Just remember when nissan, toyota, and mazda abandoned the super/sports car market, the NSX and then the S2000 kept the flame alive until the 350Z returned.
Old 09-16-2002 | 01:08 PM
rai

Default Re: Re: pink slips

Originally posted by THrussT

Hello everyone. As a 41-year-old automobile enthusiast first and brand loyalist a distant second, I felt compelled to visit your watering hole here and hopefully have a sip or two of your enthusiastic grog. .
good to here from an older enthusiast. (41 instead of 14). I share your admiration for all sports cars. I wish I could drive them all. There's no need to pick on a S2000, or Boxster S, or corvette.

If it weren't for those cars the Z would not be as good as as it is. I welcome any new cars to the market RX-7, Supra, EVO, STI, the more the better.

The Z is a great car, but it's not the best car ever (Hope I don't get stoned for saying that).