Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Work Journal: My 2006 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM
andres11132

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work Journal: My 2006 350Z

First of all- I would like to say a big thanks to the moderators for keeping this forum running! I have read and learned so much from other users, I feel like I gained an insane amount of knowledge on my Z! Second, I would like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong place or doesn't belong in this area- If you are able to, please feel free to move it to the correct location or point me in the way and I will rewrite it (I'm a forum noob)

Anyways, here I plan to keep up with anything I do to my Z. first off some basics on the Z:

2006 350Z 6MT BASE
119K miles, Daily Driven to school and three workplaces
Pearl White
Nismo CAI (short rammed)
Borla True Dual exhaust
Infiniti G37 19" Rays

Exterior Cosmetic Mods:
-blacked out symbols
-blacked out tail lights
-blacked out door handles
-shorty antenna
-LED exterior light package
-blaze blue infiniti wheels
-white calipers

No exterior performance mods that haven't been listed

Interior cosmetic mods:
-7" double din touchscreen radio
-LED interior light package
-entire center console painted glossy white (incl. gauges)
-white door handles
-white door arm rests
-Fire department response vehicle: red/white LED lights/strobes, Siren

No interior performance mods.

Car is running 5W40 mobil1 full synthetic (due to low oil pressure)

List of mods that I will hopefully have in the future (sooner or later!)
-Engine rebuild w/performance upgrades
-transmission rebuild
-JWT clutch kit/flywheel
-coilovers
-Brembo BBK
-trade wheels for 6 spokes
-exhaust cutout
-short throw shifter
-headlights (more details below)

This weekend my project will be the headlights, which will be baked, blacked out, the shroud painted white, Halo CCFL install, and STi Lens install. this should be about 2 days of work, I will try to keep updates and take lots of pictures. I know there are write ups already but I would like to do my own on this thread!

thanks for reading!

Last edited by andres11132; 02-11-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Lorbetskie

Originally Posted by andres11132
First of all- I would like to say a big thanks to the moderators for keeping this forum running! I have read and learned so much from other users, I feel like I gained an insane amount of knowledge on my Z! Second, I would like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong place or doesn't belong in this area- If you are able to, please feel free to move it to the correct location or point me in the way and I will rewrite it (I'm a forum noob)

Anyways, here I plan to keep up with anything I do to my Z. first off some basics on the Z:

2006 350Z 6MT BASE
119K miles, Daily Driven to school and three workplaces
Pearl White
Nismo CAI (short rammed)
Borla True Dual exhaust
Infiniti G37 19" Rays

Exterior Cosmetic Mods:
-blacked out symbols
-blacked out tail lights
-blacked out door handles
-shorty antenna
-LED exterior light package
-blaze blue infiniti wheels
-white calipers

No exterior performance mods that haven't been listed

Interior cosmetic mods:
-7" double din touchscreen radio
-LED interior light package
-entire center console painted glossy white (incl. gauges)
-white door handles
-white door arm rests

No interior performance mods.

Car is running 5W40 mobil1 full synthetic (due to low oil pressure)

List of mods that I will hopefully have in the future (sooner or later!)
-Engine rebuild w/performance upgrades
-transmission rebuild
-JWT clutch kit/flywheel
-coilovers
-Brembo BBK
-trade wheels for 5 spokes
-exhaust cutout
-short throw shifter
-headlights (more details below)

This weekend my project will be the headlights, which will be baked, blacked out, the shroud painted white, Halo CCFL install, and STi Lens install. this should be about 2 days of work, I will try to keep updates and take lots of pictures. I know there are write ups already but I would like to do my own on this thread!

thanks for reading!
Sounds good so far keep us posted
Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM headlights:

Aftermarket/modified headlights:
Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Fire department response vehicle: red/white LED lights/strobes, Siren.... really!?
Why?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 AM
bacon28

Originally Posted by andres11132
Are you a volunteer firefighter or part of some sort of "office for emergency management"?

Some of the guys in my town throw blue lights in their personal vehicles to get to the station for hot calls.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 AM
JYoza

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Fire department response vehicle: red/white LED lights/strobes, Siren.... really!?
Why?
I'm a volunteer and I have the lights on my Z as well. Trust me, those things really help you respond to calls. Although the courtesy lights I have don't require for people to move over, they always do. Makes response times cut in half at least.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, I see now ^_^
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
andres11132

Originally Posted by bacon28
Are you a volunteer firefighter or part of some sort of "office for emergency management"?

Some of the guys in my town throw blue lights in their personal vehicles to get to the station for hot calls.
Yes I'm a volunteer firefighter for the town I live in, and the lights/siren do allow me to get to a call faster than regular traffic permits. This is essential in some calls that are immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH).

Also, please note that the shipping on the STi lens has been delayed due to weather. And because I couldn't afford good shipping lol. So this one may be pushed back a week. I thought I'd give y'all a time frame on all the mods, so just to have one lets say about 2 years to completion. Why so long? I am a student, volunteer, and work two jobs. Have bills and none of my jobs pay that well. So collecting funds is always a challenge, but so is finding free time to work on my Z!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM
andres11132

UPDATE ON WHEELS:
I am stuck between just stripping the blue infiniti wheels down and respraying them black, or buying some varrstoen ES2's. I really love the varrstoens, but they don't make the size I have on my car... the measurements of the infinit wheels are as follows:
Front: 19x8.5 +43 offset
Rear: 19x9 +45 offset

The varrstoens come in 19x9.5 all the way up to 19x11 in .5 increments. offsets are below:
9.5: 0, 12, 22, 30
10: 15, 25
10.5: 12, 22, 30
11: 0, 15, 25

with all this, which one do all of you think would be the closest setup to what I have right now? I would like to have wider wheels in the rear, but would consider squaring up. also note my fenders are not rolled, and don't have brembos.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

19x9.5 +12 front
19x10.5 +12 rear

Not a fan of Varrdoggs but those are perfect sizes for your Z. You'll have to roll the rears, especially if you plan on lowering at all in the near future.

No offense but try not to ask questions that have obviously been asked hundreds of times. Searching the forum would've brought up this thread (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...thread-85.html) which will show you exactly how different Varrdogg setups will look.

Disclaimer: The sizes/offsets suggested are nothing close to your current Infiniti wheels, whose offsets make me sad.

Last edited by pyshin; 02-11-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
andres11132

Originally Posted by pyshin
19x9.5 +12 front
19x10.5 +12 rear

Not a fan of Varrdoggs but those are perfect sizes for your Z. You'll have to roll the rears, especially if you plan on lowering at all in the near future.

No offense but try not to ask questions that have obviously been asked hundreds of times. Searching the forum would've brought up this thread (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...thread-85.html) which will show you exactly how different Varrdogg setups will look.

Disclaimer: The sizes/offsets suggested are nothing close to your current Infiniti wheels, whose offsets make me sad.
Thanks Pyshin,
I had seen that thread before, but I wanted someone's opinion to this specific setup which I didn't read through the 80+ pages of that thread for. I appreciate your help though! I will look into the possibility of rolling the fenders sometime in the next couple of months.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^ The front fenders are rolled from factory (the fender liner/shield actually bolts into the roll) so all you'll need rolled are the rears. Should be a simple job for anyone that knows what they're doing.

And I understand the frustration of having to look through many pages to find what you're actually searching for, but looking/reading through those pages can also further educate you on things you weren't even searching for in the first place and help you down the road. Just my .02.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:03 PM
andres11132

Thanks! and yeah I usually read a lot of the pages in a thread, for the same reason you stated, to learn! that's the only reason I know how to change brakes, replace diff fluid, remove headlights, and other stuff! I learned it all on here long before I decided to become a forum member and try to help people like they've helped me.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM
andres11132

I figured I would update anyone who is following this!

I received half of the shipment of parts for the headlights, the other half I still have to pay for, so it will be yet another week until I can do the project. I also realized my oven is not big enough for my headlights to fit in.. (I have one of them fancy dual ovens... useless...) and I really don't want to use a heat gun to open them up due to uneven heating, and possibly damaging something.

went to get a rotation done today but due to directional AND staggered setup, it's not possible without breaking down the assemblies and remounting.. so forget that! (and I work at a shop! lol)

I will more than likely be purchasing the exhaust cutout within the next 2-3 weeks, and sending my baby to a shop to get her that installed. can't wait to try it out! only concern of mine is a CEL coming on because of them.

anyways thanks for still sticking with this!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
andres11132

Default update on headlights

well I ordered the rest of the supplies for the headlights, and will start work immediately upon receiving them.

I bought all the supplies except painting supplies from:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com

I purchased:
x2 3" STi-R clear lens
x2 G-37R Shrouds
x2 LED Halo rings, white, 80mm
x2 D2S Morimoto bulbs, 6000K
x2 White engine enamel spray paint
x2 Black engine enamel spray paint
x2 Wheel clear coat spray paint

My process will be baking the headlights to open them up (do a search for good walkthroughs!)

I am painting the new shrouds gloss white, and the rest of the assembly gloss black (except for the turn signal back reflectors)

the Halo rings will be fitted on to the face of the new shrouds and wired to be DRL's as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

any issue with the oil burn? i also own a 2006, and im thinking about either modifying it, or sell it and get another year.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
andres11132

The oil burn is a normal issue, not pertinent. It was specific to 2006's, and mine has almost 120K so you shouldn't worry at all about that. I put thicker oil (dealer calls for 5W30, I went 10W40 FULL SYNTHETIC) and I added 1:5 parts LUCAS brand oil stabilizer (Full synthetic one)

for me, the oil burn is nothing bad. just keep an eye on your oil level, and PSI gauge can tell you a lot too.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

got it, im probably going to switch it up to 10w 40 on my next oil change and add the oil stabilizer in there. thanks.

do you know if the oil burning is hurting performance? i feel like my car just feels so slow...
Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 PM
andres11132

not any SIGNIFICANT performance decrease... maybe a couple HP. if your car feels BOGGED down I would recommend getting it checked out man. Mine is as powerful as it's ever been.

-----------

on another note- finally for sure doing the headlights, starting this friday, going into saturday, maybe sunday. taking lots of pics and posting when done!