Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally starting to mod my 08 350z any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:27 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,059 Likes on 6,523 Posts

^ i agree, but right now their site is down.... and no number is listed to call them. i got mine from b2autodesigns.com they did free shipping on it and in the last 8 months since i have bought mine the price has gone up like $70
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM
kron1024

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
Pay the car note down (IF you have one)

If not, Get Sway bars-They will be the most noticeable mod you get with simple hand tools. What model do you have?
I have the base model. When I bought it it was listed as the grand touring model at the time I knew nothing about the z and jumped right on it so I over paid a lil bit.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 AM
remo1356

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with a Fast Intentions full exhaust header back. You will love the sound! www.fastintentions.com . Talk to Tony he is awesome. You will get power across the whole rpm range.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM
kron1024

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
Don't listen to anyone Intakes do make a difference. It might be small and you will most likely not feel it but everything works together when your done with bolt ons and get a tune. To see how my hr responded to mods check out the link below. I recommend the following:

injen cai
4.08 final drive
agency power single exhaust

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5806...line-dyno.html
I agree intakes do make a difference might not feel it but it does. Thanks for the link ill check it out. Im not a big fan of the single exhaust on a 350z I think its just cause I like the dual exhaust look to much and want to do a bumper tuck possibly
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 AM
kron1024

Originally Posted by winchman
Why ruin a good thing?
Don't think ill be ruining anything im not doing anything big to it as of right now just small thing to make it feel more like my own then just another z.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 AM
kron1024

Originally Posted by travlee9374
if you are dead set on intakes, do something like the stillen gen 3, where it put the filters in front of the radiator
Ill have to check this one out thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 AM
kron1024

Originally Posted by HR.R-CING
thanks ill check them out as well I usually when I had my 99 prelude sigh lol ordered my stuff thru atlantic auto in va beach.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
kron1024

Don't listen to anyone Intakes do make a difference. It might be small and you will most likely not feel it but everything works together when your done with bolt ons and get a tune. To see how my hr responded to mods check out the link below. I recommend the following:

injen cai
4.08 final drive
agency power single exhaust

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5806...line-dyno.html
you got some pretty nice gains from that
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by kron1024
I agree intakes do make a difference might not feel it but it does. Thanks for the link ill check it out. Im not a big fan of the single exhaust on a 350z I think its just cause I like the dual exhaust look to much and want to do a bumper tuck possibly
Yea dual does look better but with the single you lose weight which also help with performance. I saved about 60 pounds with my set up. top speed test pipes to stillen y pipe to agency single. For every 10 pounds lost that is equivalent to 1 whp gained.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

My 2 cents:

Since you are already going exhaust, make sure it's true dual. I do agree strongly with what ^Kron said about going MD exhaust; you would be glad on that decision the whole time you own the car!

Stillen or Injen dual long tubes OR keep intakes stock on that HR! *keeping intakes stock would save enough $ basically to buy an UpRev standard kit!

UpRev cable/tunes (because of change from stock exhaust/intakes).

Good adjustable coilovers, drop, roll rear fenders if not for now, for later.

Swaybars, endlinks, camber arms, as mentioned above--Suspension.

Light weight wheels; plenty out there, just depends on how much $ you are willing to pay for nice wheels; some are very affordable.

Good luck with it and congrats on buying a great car!

Last edited by BigBlue; 05-01-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 AM
kron1024

Yea dual does look better but with the single you lose weight which also help with performance. I saved about 60 pounds with my set up. top speed test pipes to stillen y pipe to agency single. For every 10 pounds lost that is equivalent to 1 whp gained.
True I just love the dual look. Ill be getting my parts today and will post what I ordered for more opinions shortly
Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 AM
kron1024

Originally Posted by BigBlue
My 2 cents:

Since you are already going exhaust, make sure it's true dual. I do agree strongly with what ^Kron said about going MD exhaust; you would be glad on that decision the whole time you own the car!

Stillen or Injen dual long tubes OR keep intakes stock on that HR! *keeping intakes stock would save enough $ basically to buy an UpRev standard kit!

Light weight wheels; plenty out there, just depends on how much $ you are willing to pay for nice wheels; some are very affordable.

thanks I had to screen shot this lol for future reference incase I dont decide to get most of it today. Thanks bud
Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 AM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by BigBlue
My 2 cents:

Awesome post. On the topic of light weight wheels I thought the hr wheels were pretty light to begin with?. Am trying to save as much weight as I can.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^

HR Base wheels are not light. The 5-spoke, staggered wheels weigh from ~24.4-25.8 lbs.

Enkei RPF1's 18x9.5 +15 offset are only 18.2 lbs., and 18x10.5 +15 are 19.05 lbs. I've seen both staggered and square setups at the track.

If you're looking for weight savings I'd look into them.

Last edited by pyshin; 05-01-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For your limited budget, decide if you want performance, handling, appearance, etc.

Regarding intakes, I'd personally pass on intakes as the OEM HR ones are already most feasible to maintain and still provide u with peak performance benefit. Aftermarket intakes are really only for sound and may even hurt performance.

For exhausts, I would go with Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 for sound + performance. ART Test Pipes if you got extra $.

Any breather bolt on mods will require a tune to optimize your power and correct the car running lean. Your solution is UpRev and that will run you around ~$600-800.

Wheels, whatever you prefer, but most of the good ones are going to cost you ~2-3k for a used set. You can always cheap out and get replicas, and those probably are around $1-1.5k. Expensive wheels sometimes pay off by being larger and lighter. Cheaper wheels are likely to be heavier, which hinders performance/handling. Also take into account of tires. It's going to cost you quite a bit so with your budget I'd pass on wheels. Cool wheels won't look good unless properly lowered. If you have VDC on your car, make sure your rear tires' diameter is within 0-3% taller than the fronts (if I'm not mistaken).

Suspensions will definitely make your drive more enjoyable. Springs are a good start and you can find a set for > $150 used easy. Drop your car too low and you'll need camber kit, which will run you around another $250ish for some SPC kit. If you want to shift your game and go with coilovers, cheaper ones can cost around $1k, but good ones will go up to near $2k and beyond.

Modding can get expensive.

My advice is figure out what you want out of your car, because a lot of times there may be unexpected costs that will come up. Don't cheap out on parts too, because you will regret it later. And if you are keeping the Z for a long time, you may end up swapping to those quality parts anyways; costing you more $ in the long run.

There are tons of things you can do to the car and you didn't bring up audio, but the Z is a fantastic car to fit a double din headunit in there. Check out my outdated blog for some ideas in my sig.

Last edited by Deteria; 05-01-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by pyshin
^^^

HR Base wheels are not light. The 5-spoke, staggered wheels weigh from ~24.4-25.8 lbs.

Enkei RPF1's 18x9.5 +15 offset are only 18.2 lbs., and 18x10.5 +15 are 19.05 lbs. I've seen both staggered and square setups at the track.

If you're looking for weight savings I'd look into them.

I had no idea there were more than one hr wheels. I think I have the regular base model. Wow that's a hugh difference.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
cjfunicel-z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you looking for in your mods? performance? looks? mix of both? what year is your z? transmission?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
kron1024

Im looking more for a mix of both im happy with the horse power it has so not looking for to much gains looking to stand out from most of the stocl z's around va beach I figured it would be best to start with the minor bolt ons and then proceed to the interior and exterior of the car. Im taking the process slow cause I know how expense modding can be
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
kron1024

Originally Posted by cjfunicel-z
what are you looking for in your mods? performance? looks? mix of both? what year is your z? transmission?
Forgot you asked about the tranny to its 6 speed manual
Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
kron1024

Ended up going with invidia n1 exhaust for now doing more research on other parts not trying to rush into things and regret my choices thanks for all the suggestions and inputs guys.

Quick Reply: finally starting to mod my 08 350z any suggestions