Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Security System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Crissytal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System Problems

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately my first post is in regards to a problem. I am having problems with the security system on my car. As far as I know, it is stock. The car is a 2004 350Z Roadster and is my daily driver. I have done several hours of research and haven't come up with much. I have found only a couple references to issues that are similar to mine, but there was never a resolution. Maybe you guys can help me out.

I have had three instances of the alarm going off when unlocking the car:

First instance - I stopped by the store after work. Locked the car with the fob. Went to unlock the car with the fob, fob was not working. It would not unlock the car, open the truck, nothing. I used the key to unlock the door, alarm went off. Fob would not work. Closed the door, locked and unlocked the door again with the key, alarm continues to go off. Cranked the car with the key, alarm continues to go off. The alarm will go off for about a minute or a little longer if I just let it sit. Alarm stops, trunk will not open and neither will the fuel door. I opened the door to get out of the car a few minutes later and alarm goes off again. Leave store parking lot and make the 9 mile trip home, alarm does not go off when getting out of car, but gas door nor trunk will not open. Fob is still unresponsive. I do some reading and follow the instructions to rearm the car by getting in the car and locking it with the lock button on the fob. The fob magically worked and everything seemed fine. I did some more research, and thought maybe the battery in the fob was dying. I replaced it. I also tried programming a new, cheap fob off of Amazon. I could get the hazard lights to flash indicating that the car was in program mode, but kept getting stuck when it came time to "Press any button on the fob" or "Press the lock button on the fob". No button would give a confirmation flash. It wasn't clearing the old code as the original fob started working again when I tried it again the next morning. The new fob that wouldn't program has a new battery. I ended up giving up on the new fob thinking it was bad and hoping the issue was just a fluke. It took another week (to the day) before I had another issue with the security system.

Second instance - I'm at work, I lock the car using the key. When I get ready to leave, I unlock the car with the key and the alarm goes off. It startles me and I accidentally press the trunk button on the fob. The alarm instantly stops, the trunk opens and the fuel door works. I did some research and concluded that something could be wrong with the fob (original fob). I decide to start leaving the fob at home in case it is putting off a random signal. No more problems until today, it's been about a week and a half.

Third instance - I'm out of town and have been in and out of the car several times using the key to lock and unlock the door. I'm getting ready to leave, use the key to unlock the door and the alarm goes off. I get in the car, crank it and let the alarm continue. It goes off about a minute and a half and stops. I go down the road a few miles to a pull off. I open the door, alarm goes off, truck will not open nor will the fuel door. The alarm eventually stops after a minute and a half or so. I continue on the 100+ mile trip home. Open the door, no alarm but the fuel door and trunk will not open. I get the fob out of the house, get in the car, close the door, and press the lock/unlock buttons. The car rearms, truck and fuel door open.

I believe I have ruled out the fob being the problem as this last time, the fob was 100 miles away. Further reading suggests maybe a fuse problem or the BMC. What do you guys think this is? It's embarrassing enough for the alarm to go off, but not be able to open the fuel door to get gas? I'm worried that eventually arming the car with the fob while inside will eventually not work. I'd prefer not to take it to Nissan just yet, I would like to troubleshoot some myself first.

Thanks for your time,
Crystal
Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 PM
lbarge85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone been behind door panel of driver's door? Sounds like the rod that connects the key cylinder on the door to the door lock assembly is not connected properly
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose ground wire, maybe. Definitely check.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Crissytal

lbarge85, I have had the door panel off for the speakers. I have also had the door handle off to repair it. The top of the handle broke where the screw goes through. It is plastic and snapped when it snowed the last time. I was able to repair it using JB Weld. I have checked the lock, everything looks like it is properly connected. I have also disconnected and cleaned the connectors that go to the controls on the arm rest/door. I noticed the lock/unlock button would stick occasionally. I played around with it and it no longer catches. If it was something regarding the lock, would it affect the fob? I can see how it affects the key setting off the alarm, but not how it would cause the fob to randomly not work. I forgot to mention, since I have been using the key to lock and unlock the door, it will not lock nor unlock the passenger door. I never used the key for locking and unlocking until the incident with the fob three weeks back. That is next on the list, figuring out why that isn't working. I don't think this would affect the security system though (the fob will lock and unlock the passenger door). Gotta love all these used car surprises!

HR.R-CING, could you elaborate? Would the ground wire be in the door panel?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 AM
slim17265

Originally Posted by Crissytal
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately my first post is in regards to a problem. I am having problems with the security system on my car. As far as I know, it is stock. The car is a 2004 350Z Roadster and is my daily driver. I have done several hours of research and haven't come up with much. I have found only a couple references to issues that are similar to mine, but there was never a resolution. Maybe you guys can help me out.

I have had three instances of the alarm going off when unlocking the car:

First instance - I stopped by the store after work. Locked the car with the fob. Went to unlock the car with the fob, fob was not working. It would not unlock the car, open the truck, nothing. I used the key to unlock the door, alarm went off. Fob would not work. Closed the door, locked and unlocked the door again with the key, alarm continues to go off. Cranked the car with the key, alarm continues to go off. The alarm will go off for about a minute or a little longer if I just let it sit. Alarm stops, trunk will not open and neither will the fuel door. I opened the door to get out of the car a few minutes later and alarm goes off again. Leave store parking lot and make the 9 mile trip home, alarm does not go off when getting out of car, but gas door nor trunk will not open. Fob is still unresponsive. I do some reading and follow the instructions to rearm the car by getting in the car and locking it with the lock button on the fob. The fob magically worked and everything seemed fine. I did some more research, and thought maybe the battery in the fob was dying. I replaced it. I also tried programming a new, cheap fob off of Amazon. I could get the hazard lights to flash indicating that the car was in program mode, but kept getting stuck when it came time to "Press any button on the fob" or "Press the lock button on the fob". No button would give a confirmation flash. It wasn't clearing the old code as the original fob started working again when I tried it again the next morning. The new fob that wouldn't program has a new battery. I ended up giving up on the new fob thinking it was bad and hoping the issue was just a fluke. It took another week (to the day) before I had another issue with the security system.

Second instance - I'm at work, I lock the car using the key. When I get ready to leave, I unlock the car with the key and the alarm goes off. It startles me and I accidentally press the trunk button on the fob. The alarm instantly stops, the trunk opens and the fuel door works. I did some research and concluded that something could be wrong with the fob (original fob). I decide to start leaving the fob at home in case it is putting off a random signal. No more problems until today, it's been about a week and a half.

Third instance - I'm out of town and have been in and out of the car several times using the key to lock and unlock the door. I'm getting ready to leave, use the key to unlock the door and the alarm goes off. I get in the car, crank it and let the alarm continue. It goes off about a minute and a half and stops. I go down the road a few miles to a pull off. I open the door, alarm goes off, truck will not open nor will the fuel door. The alarm eventually stops after a minute and a half or so. I continue on the 100+ mile trip home. Open the door, no alarm but the fuel door and trunk will not open. I get the fob out of the house, get in the car, close the door, and press the lock/unlock buttons. The car rearms, truck and fuel door open.

I believe I have ruled out the fob being the problem as this last time, the fob was 100 miles away. Further reading suggests maybe a fuse problem or the BMC. What do you guys think this is? It's embarrassing enough for the alarm to go off, but not be able to open the fuel door to get gas? I'm worried that eventually arming the car with the fob while inside will eventually not work. I'd prefer not to take it to Nissan just yet, I would like to troubleshoot some myself first.

Thanks for your time,
Crystal
my problem was similar, the thread is on G35, It has all of the same symptoms, the dealer says car was an attempted theft.
fob would not work, car would not even turn over..probably immobilizer...I removed all fuses, cleaned them off and installed them. disconnected battery for two hours.
everything now works tho on occaision fob will not work. or alarm goes off when door is opened even tho it was unlocked minutes earlier