Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

advice on first car

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Hupperware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$30K builds a nice 60s Mustang... classy and it won't kill you...
Old 02-05-2004, 11:04 AM
cedusett

You guys keep forgetting its not HIS money. If he spends 30K and has 2K left over, his grandfather pockets the 2K.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:30 AM
dchengmd

Originally posted by cedusett
You guys keep forgetting its not HIS money. If he spends 30K and has 2K left over, his grandfather pockets the 2K.
If that's true, then that's even more reason to go for a nice, new, reliable, and inexpensive Civic.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:39 PM
VQ35DES

Add a little more and get an STI or an EVO8, maybe even a G35 Coupe. Get somthing no one else has at your school.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:57 PM
billdo

Oh yeah, sorry for the double post, but I'm only 24. My insurance with the Z was barely (maybe $50/6 months) more expensive than if I bought a brand new Honda Civic.
Sorry to come in on this so late, but what are you insuring for $50/6 mo????? The license plate?

Even if you meant $500/6mo then you are very lucky at 24 to have such low rates. It must be the state you live in.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 AM
cedusett

If that's true, then that's even more reason to go for a nice, new, reliable, and inexpensive Civic.
Why get a nice new reliable civic, when you can get a nicer, new, reliable Z?

Sorry to come in on this so late, but what are you insuring for $50/6 mo????? The license plate?

Even if you meant $500/6mo then you are very lucky at 24 to have such low rates. It must be the state you live in.
You misunderstood... What I was saying was that insuring the Z was only about 50 bucks MORE expensive than the civic per six months. Believe me I'm paying much more than 500/6mo.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:25 PM
SoBe

I say go for it buddy. Iam 17 and have a 350z enthusiast and Iam still in highschool. Me and you are just lucky to be born and raised in a rich family. Just luck of the draw, all i have to say is be wise about your decisions cause it could kill you. Btw ill post pics of my Z in a lil
Old 02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
dchengmd

Why get a nice new reliable civic, when you can get a nicer, new, reliable Z?
Because if the kid's grandfather is paying ONLY for the car and doesn't plan on giving him what's left of the $30K, then what's the kid going to do for insurance, gas, maintenance, and all the other associated costs of ownership, hmm?

Actually, I retract what I said. If grandpa's not giving him any of the remaining cash, then the kid shouldn't be getting a car at all. Period. He should at least find a job or guarantee some source of income that will allow him to pay the costs of ownership of the car.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:06 AM
cedusett

Yeah I completely see your point. I guess I was thinking that since my insurance was almost as expensive with a civic, the only way that would save him money would be on gas prices, and the occasional maintenance.

If you can't get a job to cover at least that, then you don't deserve either car!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:38 AM
JFritz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dchengmd
There are some haters out there. wow. if his gramps has the money, don't hate. haha get a civic? give me a break, wouldn't you have loved a z when you were his age?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:32 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by JFritz
There are some haters out there. wow. if his gramps has the money, don't hate. haha get a civic? give me a break, wouldn't you have loved a z when you were his age?
You completely missed my point. If the kid doesn't have any money of his own, and his grandfather buys him the car and ONLY the car, where's the money to buy gas, pay for insurance, maintain the car, etc.? Or would you prefer he just have the car sit in the garage so he can look at it?

True, I would have loved to drive a Z or any other flashy sportscar in high school, but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't get myself into any significant debt or expenses at that age. You seem to have the attitude that obtaining nice things at any and all costs regardless of age or fiscal responsibility is OK. Guess what - it's NOT. This 'buy now pay later' attitude is the reason why so many Americans are mired deep in credit card debt, and why we as taxpayers end up bailing out other people for their stupidity.

If you're going to drive a nice car, then you better have the brains and the foresight to plan ahead and anticipate expenses associated with the car - I don't care how old you are. If you don't, you are a moron. Enough said.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
shinz

i think what hoopster is saying is that his gramps is buying him a new car, and his limit is $30k. Any car of his choice that's 30k or under, therefore if he chooses a car that's under $30k, he wont get to keep what's left over. Also, he's not gonna be paying for his own insurace etc... it's not about all that, just about him choosing a car.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM
superstuddc27

yeah im sure he wont' even think about getting a car if there's no way that he can get GAS for it. :P.. i know i wouldn't . i mean if my grandpa offered me a Ferrari i wouldn't take it in high school, even if i had insurance and stuff like that covered. just way too much to maintain at an age like that. but if hoopster got his plans on gas, maintainance etc. then why not get the better car? might as well...
Old 03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
A4to350Z

hey hoopster get the Z my friend if thats what you want. I think that its great opportunity to own a car that people dream about having. I will assume that you and your family can cover the cost of maintenance and what not. I know if I had the opportunity to get a new z or Supra or RX-7 when I was your age I would've jumped at it without question. Good Luck. Be sure to check back and tell everybody what you end up getting.

BTW, VDC is worth the extra money in my opinion, you can rarely go wrong by spending more money on your safety. My 2 cents

A.L.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear God....
Are there really that many kids out there with parents (or grandparents, in this case) who have no common sense?!?!

I mean NO offense by this at all, and there certainly are exceptions...but

TEENAGERS ARE STUPID!!!!!

I can say that with great authority because I sure as hell was when I was in H.S. I drove my second-hand VW Scirroco like I was Mario Andretti. The only thing that kept me from getting killed was the fact that the car had no power and I WORKED every spare moment. I payed my own insurance, my own gas, my own clothes....My car was a piece of crap, but it was MY piece of crap.

Unless you walk around in a suit quoting bible scripture at your school or something, you are a typical teenager, which typically means that the steering wheel of a car is effectively the trigger of a gun in your hands....

Let's face it, when you're 16,17,18 years old, it's not that you think you're invincible, it's just that you think it will always happen to the other guy.

Hoopster, since money is not an consideration in your decision making process, buy the Z, just PLEASE....remember that this car is a weapon and it will kill you (or worse, somebody else) if you don't respect it. For every teenager that dies at the hands of a Z, you just re-enforce for all of us old-farts (read 31) that teenagers shouldn't own Z's, and you encourage us to flame your @$$es when you come on here asking us "What should I do with {insert rich, senseless family member here}'s money?

And that leads me to my next point...If you have 30K to spend, and you want honest, unbiased opinions on WHICH car you should buy (not whether you should or shouldn't get a Z specifically, because most of you get the same response, but you keep on coming), this is probably the last place to come... my350z.com isn't exactly what you'd call "unbiased feedback" in terms of picking a car...People who think the car was the worst piece of fly-ridden fecal matter ever produced don't often hang around the enthusiast web sites, if you know what I mean.

I hope you enjoy your new Z (I'm confident that's what you'll buy, because for 30K there is nothing else that will get your pecker up like the Z), but more importantly, I hope you do it safely.

Ok, I have to go take my blood pressure medicine now
Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 PM
350Zrunnin12s

Z is fast but look at cobras and stuff and z28 / trans am they r just as fast if not faster and u can get 1 of them for 10-15k obviously used mid 90s or so.. so i mean there r many other teenagers with fast cars..
Old 03-03-2004, 07:39 PM
z053ym

HATERS... civic? RIGHT.. he has 30 grand for a car.. dont try and fool him into thinking he shouldnt get a Z.. he definately should. This is all besides the fact that if hes getting a new Z.. hes obviously a spoiled kid who wont have to exactly worry about bills and expenses. That teenager comment was stupid, im SURE he will drive it around real fast like its the sht... but your comment was stupid because i AM a teenager.. i brought my OWN Z.. i dont drive like an ***. im not hateing on hoopster although i do hate kids that think theyre good at bball if hoopster refers to that.. and i dont like spoiled rich kids.. but i am a "rich kid" im just not spoiled. in my opinion get the g35 coupe if you want seats.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:58 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by z053ym
HATERS... civic? RIGHT.. he has 30 grand for a car.. dont try and fool him into thinking he shouldnt get a Z.. he definately should. This is all besides the fact that if hes getting a new Z.. hes obviously a spoiled kid who wont have to exactly worry about bills and expenses. That teenager comment was stupid, im SURE he will drive it around real fast like its the sht... but your comment was stupid because i AM a teenager.. i brought my OWN Z.. i dont drive like an ***. im not hateing on hoopster although i do hate kids that think theyre good at bball if hoopster refers to that.. and i dont like spoiled rich kids.. but i am a "rich kid" im just not spoiled. in my opinion get the g35 coupe if you want seats.

.....And the #1 indicator that this poster is a teenager is....Not one coherent sentence in the whole paragraph!!!

I'm happy that you bought (not brought) your own Z. If you REALLY did, then kudos to you for working hard for your dreams. You are in a very lonely category, I assure you.

Curious....How was my comment "stupid because you are a teenager"? The disconnect is staggering!

Curious again...What is it you do as a teenager that you earned your Z, yet you classify yourself as a rich kid?

Here's a tip....Getting paid $5,000/hour by your mom to clean up your room does not constitute buying your own car...

Curious yet one more time....Did I say in my post at any point that this individual should not buy a Z? No. In fact, I stated that since money wasn't a factor, he SHOULD get the Z, but that unlike so many kids who have fast cars, he should drive in a manner that prolongs his life into a third decade.

Thanks for playing. Please come again!

Man, it's hard work being a smart-@$$.....Taking my Geratol and going to bed now.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:03 AM
z053ym

hahahaha I LOVE how you are trying to act smart. There wasnt ONE complete sentence because i was in no way attempting to sound formal. And I work for my own car... mommy and daddy dont give me any money for cleaning anything. Actually my cleaning lady does most of it for me.. the reason im a "rich kid" is not because i have money i worked for in my pocket.. its because my parents have money. The whole point was saying i am a "rich kid" like hoopster and Sobe said. Which was partially in defense so that i wasnt seen as a hater or a kid that is jealous. And PLEASE stop trying to talk down to me because of age.. I saw your profile. .well smart guy.. how many MCSE's do you know that are still in high school? well your talking to ONE now(specialize in security).. and the only reason i have my mcse is because when i start MY company i want to be able to oversee my network and understand EVERYTHING that it going on. So keep acting like a genius because your NOT.. you need to go to the bmw and g35c forums because the Z is not a car which shows incredible accomplishment and $$ even though its looks are misleading. ... that is unless ofcourse your 18 and buying your own.. hmmm THANKS FOR PLAYING
Old 03-04-2004, 07:22 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by z053ym
hahahaha I LOVE how you are trying to act smart. There wasnt ONE complete sentence because i was in no way attempting to sound formal. And I work for my own car... mommy and daddy dont give me any money for cleaning anything. Actually my cleaning lady does most of it for me.. the reason im a "rich kid" is not because i have money i worked for in my pocket.. its because my parents have money. The whole point was saying i am a "rich kid" like hoopster and Sobe said. Which was partially in defense so that i wasnt seen as a hater or a kid that is jealous. And PLEASE stop trying to talk down to me because of age.. I saw your profile. .well smart guy.. how many MCSE's do you know that are still in high school? well your talking to ONE now(specialize in security).. and the only reason i have my mcse is because when i start MY company i want to be able to oversee my network and understand EVERYTHING that it going on. So keep acting like a genius because your NOT.. you need to go to the bmw and g35c forums because the Z is not a car which shows incredible accomplishment and $$ even though its looks are misleading. ... that is unless ofcourse your 18 and buying your own.. hmmm THANKS FOR PLAYING
Please stop. Your command of the English language in its written form is only proving kcobean correct in his original assessment.

Last edited by WayneTN; 03-04-2004 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: advice on first car