Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

advice on first car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 07:33 AM
sparkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my advice..

My first car was given to me by my father, and he said that if I wanted to drive it, I had to insure it myself.. so I got a job slinging Big Macs for 3.25 an hour, and worked my a** off just to pay the insurance.

The car was an 81 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Station wagon (11 years old when I got it in '92), and I ran it like it was NASCAR. Even managed to get it airborne once , but it was reliable, safe, and most importantly, cheap.

Having this car allowed me to save up, get edjumicated, get a good job, and now I own the ~$40K ZR with all the options I _wanted_.

So.. to the opinion. Take the $30K buy a $10K car, invest (wisely) the $20K remainder, and reap the rewards later..
Old 03-04-2004, 11:56 AM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by z053ym
hahahaha I LOVE how you are trying to act smart. There wasnt ONE complete sentence because i was in no way attempting to sound formal. And I work for my own car... mommy and daddy dont give me any money for cleaning anything. Actually my cleaning lady does most of it for me.. the reason im a "rich kid" is not because i have money i worked for in my pocket.. its because my parents have money. The whole point was saying i am a "rich kid" like hoopster and Sobe said. Which was partially in defense so that i wasnt seen as a hater or a kid that is jealous. And PLEASE stop trying to talk down to me because of age.. I saw your profile. .well smart guy.. how many MCSE's do you know that are still in high school? well your talking to ONE now(specialize in security).. and the only reason i have my mcse is because when i start MY company i want to be able to oversee my network and understand EVERYTHING that it going on. So keep acting like a genius because your NOT.. you need to go to the bmw and g35c forums because the Z is not a car which shows incredible accomplishment and $$ even though its looks are misleading. ... that is unless ofcourse your 18 and buying your own.. hmmm THANKS FOR PLAYING
please leave. NOW
Old 03-04-2004, 12:13 PM
adrianko43

Some of these ppl are hating because they have worked most of thier lives to get the Z, and now you get a Z without working as much or at all. Hey, if your grandpa is willing to get you a Z, go for it, that doesnt mean that you're spoiled. Your family is rich, and 30k is probably not considered to be that much. Your family could probably afford to buy you an sl55, but then that would be spoiling you.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:25 PM
z053ym

o im sorry.. i should probably bow my head to the almighty older people and leave because im 18?? I defend myself and now i should leave.. hmm makes sense doesnt it? I dont understand the bitterness, it would be great if you could explain El. If you did not know i was the 18 year old maybe your mind wouldn't be so bias and influenced. Let kcobean reply to my comments to him.. you flatter me but please keep your comments to yourself or until spoken to. Thank you
Old 03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahaha I LOVE how you are trying to act smart. There wasnt ONE complete sentence because i was in no way attempting to sound formal. And I work for my own car... mommy and daddy dont give me any money for cleaning anything. Actually my cleaning lady does most of it for me.. the reason im a "rich kid" is not because i have money i worked for in my pocket.. its because my parents have money. The whole point was saying i am a "rich kid" like hoopster and Sobe said. Which was partially in defense so that i wasnt seen as a hater or a kid that is jealous. And PLEASE stop trying to talk down to me because of age.. I saw your profile. .well smart guy.. how many MCSE's do you know that are still in high school? well your talking to ONE now(specialize in security).. and the only reason i have my mcse is because when i start MY company i want to be able to oversee my network and understand EVERYTHING that it going on. So keep acting like a genius because your NOT.. you need to go to the bmw and g35c forums because the Z is not a car which shows incredible accomplishment and $$ even though its looks are misleading. ... that is unless ofcourse your 18 and buying your own.. hmmm THANKS FOR PLAYING

And the #1 indicator that this poster is a teenager is.....Not one coherent sentence in the whole paragraph!!! (Didn't I say that before?). In fact, I'd say that arrogance outweighs intelligence in your post about 3 to 1.

I'm not saying you're not a motivated guy who will be very successful in life. I didn't say that about the original poster, either. I believe that respect comes from passing the test of time, and that's something you simply haven't had a chance to do yet.

Here's the point of my original post: Experience comes from making mistakes, and lot's of money with no experience tends to lead to BIG mistakes, sometimes at the expense of others....That's my only beef against young men with fast cars...Why do you think your insurance is what it is....It has nothing to do with how smart you are or how motivated you are or whether you earn your own money or not, it has to do with your stage of life and all of the qualities that go with that for MOST people....I never said it applied to you specifically...If you pay for your toys and you are responsible with them, then once again, you are in a lonely category, and for that you should be commended.

If you want to discuss my views on the merit of your Microsoft certification (did you say security and Microsoft in the same paragraph??? Yeah, you've got a ways to go young Jedi), feel free to PM me...I like a good tech discussion as much as the next guy. A certification without experience is kind of like a car without an engine...It looks good, the windows may go up and down, but it won't really get you anywhere.

Now, since we've wasted enough of other peoples bandwidth reading this drivel, PM me if you want to continue our discussion.....
Old 03-04-2004, 01:02 PM
wesleyvt

Cool I would wait

Here is my $0.02...

If you get the Z now, then you will be forced to park it in micromachine spots until you get out of high school which equals dings and dents everyday. On top of that, a lot of highschool males get very jealus if someone has a better car than thier riced out 85 civic, and that leads to vandilizm. I have been out of high school for 4 years now, and as i can tell, the above still holds true. I would wait until you start college to get the Z mainly because by then your peers will be more mature. I would put the $ in a high interest account at your bank for the next couple of years so that when you do get a hot ride, you will have some cash to buy some mods!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
sparkman

o im sorry.. i should probably bow my head to the almighty older people and leave because im 18?? I defend myself and now i should leave.. hmm makes sense doesnt it? I dont understand the bitterness, it would be great if you could explain El. If you did not know i was the 18 year old maybe your mind wouldn't be so bias and influenced. Let kcobean reply to my comments to him.. you flatter me but please keep your comments to yourself or until spoken to. Thank you
Yo! Youz a hater just cause your back don't hurt in the mornin' for no reason.. And cauz you can still readz da newzpaper without no glasses.. Being old is the shiznit, so youz need to step off yo!*

*Note to moderator: My feelings won't be hurt if you delete this. I just had an itch to be a .... and it had to be scratched.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:03 PM
ElBombastico

no, its not the fact that you are 18. i know plenty of 18 year olds. i couldnt give a crap if you were 80. and its pretty obvious from your last post that you are 18.

Biased and influenced? you don't even know me. dont come here with that BS. i only told you to leave because no one here wants to listen about how young and rich you are and i think a lot people here will agree with me here.

also, i should keep my comments to myself huh? THIS IS A FORUM, I CAN VOICE MY OPINIONS AS MUCH AS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOICE YOURS. and i flatter you? im glad i could be of service.

you can take your MCSE degree and shove it up your @$$.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Oh thats funny, kid you know in todays IT world MCSE's aren't worth the paper their printed on anymore. Hell 99% of certs out there are worthless. Companies only really care if you have EXP and if you went to college and recieved a degree.

And they really don't care about the degree either, it just shows them you can finish something you start.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:16 PM
z053ym

Jealousy will get you nowhere el

... and poison.. i cant believe im even going to entertain your comment.. i love when people have absolutely no idea what is going on.. besides the fact i explained the cert.. go back and read. i am not looking to run a network. I dont understand how you honestly believe what you said? who do you work for? and please dont comment on the tech world when you have no idea.. people hire people based on certs they are EXTREMELY important and you need to take tests to prove yourself.. its how it is. You would be very suprised about the lack of network knowledge guys have who run huge companies. They dont hire by a hunch, they need to be proven to. They all see microsoft and think trust and reliability which is histerical but TRUE. Im not a clueless kid sorry.. i know what is going on straight from the people who own the companies... not from my a**.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:57 PM
bk_r0x

Take that 30k and throw 28k of it into a bank. Use the other 2k to buy a manual transmission late-80s/early-90s Honda Civic or Accord. Doesn't have to be a Honda, but make sure its a $hitty, ugly, underpowered POS of a beater. Drive that, and learn to drive well on it. Then, after a good chunk of time (AT LEAST 2 years), get a nice car. You'll appreciate it a LOT more, you'll be a safer driver, you'll be a better driver, and you'll have one hell of a lot of respect for a powerful RWD car, which is something you definitely will not have if you just have it dropped into your lap.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:59 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jealousy will get you nowhere el

... and poison.. i cant believe im even going to entertain your comment.. i love when people have absolutely no idea what is going on.. besides the fact i explained the cert.. go back and read. i am not looking to run a network. I dont understand how you honestly believe what you said? who do you work for? and please dont comment on the tech world when you have no idea.. people hire people based on certs they are EXTREMELY important and you need to take tests to prove yourself.. its how it is. You would be very suprised about the lack of network knowledge guys have who run huge companies. They dont hire by a hunch, they need to be proven to. They all see microsoft and think trust and reliability which is histerical but TRUE. Im not a clueless kid sorry.. i know what is going on straight from the people who own the companies... not from my a**.

Now that we've completely hijacked the thread...

I'm genuinely curious....If you're not looking to run a network, why did you go out and spend your time getting a certification that 500,000 other guys have? That alone shows your "youthful mindset". I'm not knocking your accomplishment at all. The MCSE isn't easy, and I probably didn't have the discipline to do it in H.S., I just don't see why you took the time if your goal is to run the company, not the network.

Why do you keep co-mingling these thoughts of proving yourself as a technician (after all the MCSE is a technical certificaton) and guys who run companies? Guys who run companies couldn't give a hoot about the technicalities of running any part of a network, that's why they have employees. Don't delude yourself that because you have your MCSE, you are now any more qualified to go out into the world and run Microsoft (or your own company) than you were before. Technicians often make lousy executives and even managers. That's one of many reasons that sooo many companies in the dot-com era failed. They were run by techies with a great idea and no business sense. Also, I doubt that Bill Gates has the necessary knowledge to pass the MCSE exam, but that's because technical skills aren't something that Executives focus on....So which is it you're trying to do, be a Sys. Admin., or be a CEO? If it's the latter, quit wasting your time and focus on what's important. Join FBLA or something. If you want to be a Sys. Admin, then use your MCSE to get a job on a help desk somewhere and start serving your time. I guarantee it'll kick your butt for the first while, despite how much certificate waving you do.....That's called experience, and there's no way around it, not even certification. If you're good at what you do, you'll progress. If you rely on your cert. to speak for you, you'll rot away just like all the other people who thought that their certificate was going to climb the ladder for them.

Having been down the certification road (and still traveling it, just in different areas than you), I can tell you first hand that your particular certificate might go as far as getting you into the "A Pile" of resumes. With little or no experience behind you (and by experience I mean dealing with the day-to-day operation production networks) you have nothing else with which to differentiate yourself from your beginner peers, so your cert has a purpose now...But once you start having to compete based on what you've actually done (there's that experience thing again) rather than how many computer based, often multiple choice tests you've passed, you too will discover how little your cert means, especially when there are so many other MCSE holders out there...I did. I also learned that I don't particularly like Microsoft, their product, or the way they do business. Since you say you are focusing on security, you will learn what I'm talking about in time.

Seriously dude, I'm not down on you at all...I REALLY hope that you are good guy with a good head on your shoulders who happens to have the good fortune of well-to-do, supportive parents. I hope that you use their success (in whatever manner) as a catalyst to your own success. Just remember that unless they come from old money, they took their knocks just like everyone else to get where they are. That's experience, that's life.

And to make this entire post relavent to the Nissan 350Z....You'll take your knocks, too. I hope that you (and the original poster) don't take them behind the wheel...They're bound to be some big knocks.

Keep it real, keep it safe.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Bahahha your funny dude, Lets see I have my A+, my MCP, Associates in CIS:Networking, and Bachelors in Information Technology.

Having said that on a interview for a new job recently the I.T. Director for a 1Billion dollar company(yes a 1 followed by alot of zero's) told me he didn't give a crap how many certifications I had. All he cared about was that I finished not one but two college degrees.

Grow up punk and learn the industry before you start talking $hit. MCSEs above all else are just about worthless in todays world because of all those bull$hit bootcamps.

*edit* "They all see microsoft and think trust and reliability which is histerical but TRUE. Im not a clueless kid sorry.. "

Oh I just had to address this, trust and reliability from microsoft bahahahahahahahah. Man you really are a clueless kid. The only reason I like microsoft over apple,linux, or the Unixs is because I know I will ALWAYS have options for employment while their out.

Man you really are a clueless kid.

Last edited by Poison123; 03-06-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:20 PM
350Zrunnin12s

you guys need to chill :\ its a forum, whether ur 18 a rich kid or spoiled or your 55 and are a dr. YOU ALL SOUND FOOLISH arguing over 3 pages worth.. look at what you guys all wrote and how much you read and responded to and time you wasted. ITS A THREAD.. ull never see these pple in real life, its the internet let stuff be. His choice! Let him do what he wants, post your opinions and let it be, when you make a negative response to someones question or thought don't argue back.. If you are right then deep down inside when the person realizes it.. U WILL get your **** and giggles if you are right cause eventually that person will realize u were. But to argue and argue and talk hey I have this and that and that its not worth it because no one really cares. I look at it this way, its the internet. I know what I have and what i want so if people disagree or have a problem let them. Not worth getting all worked up and post back and forth..
Old 03-06-2004, 09:18 PM
NzZ

Default Best advice I can give you

Buy a honda accord. Any one you want...maybe a 6spd coupe? You can get 'em for like $24k. You can use it through high school and in college. I don't know about you, but my college was a few hrs away from home..and it was great to be able to fit a TON of stuff in my car. The Z isn't going to swallow all your stuff. Also, the Z will attract vandalism...you will always be worried about it. The accord is a SWEET car (ok it's not as fast or nimble as the Z but it is better than 95% of the other cars on the road) that doesn't draw the negative attention that the Z gets. And I think the accord is a lot cheaper to own too. Save the extra $6g, when you're done with college sell the accord add in that $6g (now $9g with wise investment) and put a down on a Z or whatever else you want.

Bottom line: you won't have much time to enjoy the car in college (if you live on campus), the car will be a liability, and the Z won't buy you any respect @ school where you'll be branded a snot nosed punk (I am not calling you that, but others will). Whatever you do, enjoy yourself and drive somewhat safely. ;-)

NzZ
Old 03-06-2004, 09:24 PM
NzZ

There have been a lot of posts about being rich, being spoiled, etc. etc. etc. What I will say is this: anyone, _ANYONE_ driving a Z is lucky - because the Z is amazing. Let's get back to the car and leave the spoiled kids to squabble amongst themselves.

BTW any 17-19 year old whose parents buy him a Z is NOT spoiled. He's simply disliked by his parents, who obviously don't want him around that long. JK

NzZ
Old 03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
z053ym

Thanks for the advice and all but if you think i just go through life making things up your wrong. These genius people and incredibly smart people that think colleges and certifications are everything are so out of it. Yes they give you choices.. that is all they do.. but that only gets a person so far. Certs are important in that you are often required to get them in order to have certain job positions. I dont like that fact but it is true. And as for the tech world.. i have looked into it ALOT and i know ALOT about it. I also know how much weight is placed on net admins and such who are assigned jobs they often should not be doing. I have a very close older friend who quit his job because of this. The reason I spent the time and money was originally due to a passion I had that faded. Thank you for the advice and all but I know the things you said and i am the FIRST person to hate people who think labels are the key to life. I originally brought up my mcse because I felt you attacked my intelligence in your first comment and I defended myself. I noticed you were a tech guy and would understand it takes a little more then a stupid kid to pass all of the mcse exams. I will drive safely.. thank you..

Poison.. you have an MCP.. WHY?!? either you are a controdiction and have it because you needed the label.. or you are an underachiever because most ten year olds can pass two tests. And that sentence you quoted.. read it over. The whole point of the statement was to show the fact that its "histerical" that many people hear microsoft and think safety and reliability. I am a linux guy(dont tell microsoft that) and sorry but its pretty old news of how linux has crashed how many times in history? and microsoft is an open door to hackers. Trust me i KNOW the industry and I dont need to go into job interviews.. I know too many people around my area in high places to have to do even go through a blind interview. I am a country club kid and I really cant help it because of my "daddy" that i am automatically "in". Your talking to the wrong kid.. im not in one way typical. And if you now think im some spoiled little brat.. how many high school kids do you know that own their own Z? i pay every last insurance bill and am not fed money. Sorry if this is harsh but you just have nothing on me. I would HATE to be insulted and talked to by some high school "punk" this way as you are but such is life. I am in now way this rediculous and arrogant in real life trust me I would get nowhere if I was.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:25 AM
NVthis350

is it possible to ban these kind of posts because these kinds of post bring out the worst in everyone. Time is precious to everyone and I am sure people would like to spend their free time learning about, enjoying and appreciating the Z because this is what I believe the forum was made for.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:44 AM
tbcz

Originally posted by NVthis350
Time is precious to everyone and I am sure people would like to spend their free time learning about, enjoying and appreciating the Z because this is what I believe the forum was made for.
Agreed. Thread closed.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:16 PM

my friends son wanted z...

until they found out that he will need 8k a year for insurance.
He is happy in his used volvo - according to his father.