2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowballers on Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

why don't you advertise on here? Not going to get lame low ***** as often.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:35 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I will try that. Only thing that would suck is shipping wouldn't make much sense because of the weight.

I can post in the regional as I wouldn't mind meeting someone if need be. I've sold on here before and it went great. Can't deal with the hassle of these people on Craigslist.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Destroyeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be willing to offer at least 550.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only facial expression about this topic<br/>
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM
oldschool350z

Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Haha you didn't post a low ballers phone on here?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

always post on craigslist with a burner phone. never your personal number. that way when people call with low ball offers you reply back with smart *** responses.

and i second the zilvia.net forums. if you really want to see low ballers check out that F/S section.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:38 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

CL has been a mixed bag for quite a while. Prices vary wildly depending on exactly what is being sold (category). In the Silicon Valley area I see a lot of sellers posting outrageously high prices for electronics that are now considered out-dated (1-2 years old). I think it's really gotten to a point where sellers expect a low ball offer, so they inflate the price to compensate and hopefully land on a realistic amount once an offer has been made.

With that being said, items like Volks/Rays do not depreciate in value like other wheels out there. For example, I can go on CL and find 3-4 people selling the OEM Touring V2 wheels for less than $500.00 (for a complete set). I personally sold my old Touring V2s on CL for $450.00 complete with tires, TPMS, center caps, and two extra rear tires (used). I knew 450.00 was steal for everything included, even with the cosmetic blemishes on the wheels, I just needed them gone because I didn't have the storage space to keep them. They sold within 3 hours, which is what I had hoped for =D.

Your Rays will eventually sell for a worthy price, but you will most likely have to ship. Most people out there simply can't justify/afford them, making it a tough sell even on the forums.

I've been wanting a set of TE37s ever since I purchased my 06 Z33, but almost every time I find a set, the specs aren't what I want. It's very difficult to find the right diameter, offset, width, and color that I want. Even when I rarely find what I want in used condition, the cosmetic damage usually turns me off when combined with the asking price of the wheels + shipping + repair costs. At the end, I'm usually better off to just buy new and wait the 3 months for them to ship from Japan.

Good luck with the sale!
-Icer
Old 04-22-2015, 02:12 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160;10583946
Your Rays will eventually sell for a worthy

[QUOTE=icer5160;10583946

With that being said, items like Volks/Rays do not depreciate in value like other wheels out there.
[QUOTE=icer5160;10583946
Most people out there simply can't justify/afford them, making it a tough sell even on the forums[/QUOTE]

I dont think you understand depreciation and how supply and demand works....
Old 04-22-2015, 04:23 PM
icer5160

Absolutely I do. These rarely come on the market (low supply) while OEM wheels tend to flood the market (high supply). If you read between the lines of my post that's what I'm inferring.

Rays/Volks are of some of the highest quality and often most copied wheel out there. Being made in Japan makes them rare and expensive in the States.

You just need to find the right buyer in a niche market.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:37 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by icer5160
Absolutely I do. These rarely come on the market (low supply) while OEM wheels tend to flood the market (high supply). If you read between the lines of my post that's what I'm inferring.

Rays/Volks are of some of the highest quality and often most copied wheel out there. Being made in Japan makes them rare and expensive in the States.

You just need to find the right buyer in a niche market.
By "finding the right buyer" that meands low demand. Low supply low demands means you either sits and wait and wait and wait, or you lower your price to increase demand.

Look at the fs section on this thread, see how many volks te37 are forsale. Then see how long they sit. Last i check 2 were for sale. One guy is adking like 3.6k another os a refurbish set that is asking 2.5k. I dont believe neither are sold. And it has been MONTHS.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:48 PM
oldschool350z

My degree is in marketing I understand supply and demand. I also agree that people generally higher the price when selling on craigslist to absorb the lowballs. It's a negotiation starter, they will probly offer half.

Everything is speculative, I also look on eBay to see what things go for. My research shows the wheels I have should be worth at least $1,000. It's all about the market you're in, buffalo isn't the best.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
My degree is in marketing I understand supply and demand. I also agree that people generally higher the price when selling on craigslist to absorb the lowballs. It's a negotiation starter, they will probly offer half.

Everything is speculative, I also look on eBay to see what things go for. My research shows the wheels I have should be worth at least $1,000. It's all about the market you're in, buffalo isn't the best.
Then your degree shouldve taught you that if youre selling local, you hsve to adjust the price to YOUR location to fit YOUR location supply and demand. If youre selling globally then you price iy according to global supply and demand.

The reality is, its harder to sell a specific item to 100,000 people than it is to 1,000,000. So you have to price accordingly.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Then your degree shouldve taught you that if youre selling local, you hsve to adjust the price to YOUR location to fit YOUR location supply and demand. If youre selling globally then you price iy according to global supply and demand.

The reality is, its harder to sell a specific item to 100,000 people than it is to 1,000,000. So you have to price accordingly.
Interesting.

It's all about finding the right buyer. There is more than just price as a factor. Most people up here don't have a z nor understand intrinsic value. A product is worth as much a someone is willing to pay. Can I find oem or crap aftermarket wheels for the z locally? Yes. How about Rays Wheels locally? Only my set. If someone has been looking for them then my price becomes normalized.

Not in a hurry to sell this thread was more so regarding the type of buyer on that site. They generally have lower income. I'm not saying these are the rarest wheels in the world but should go for more than oem 350z touring rims.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 04-22-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM
turboed350z

Interesting.

It's all about finding the right buyer. There is more than just price as a factor. Most people up here don't have a z nor understand intrinsic value. A product is worth as much a someone is willing to pay. Can I find oem or crap aftermarket wheels for the z locally? Yes. How about Rays Wheels locally? Only my set. If someone has been looking for them then my price becomes normalized.

Not in a hurry to sell this thread was more so regarding the type of buyer on that site. They generally have lower income. I'm not saying these are the rarest wheels in the world but should go for more than oem 350z touring rims.
Your right, they should. But think of it this way, 99% of the people on craigslist are car enthusiasts. So they dont care about the brand nor the performance. If someone is looking for rays or volks, they mostly check forums and ebays, which means more seller than just you. So you sell your items, you have to price it lower than the others.

Im not saying you will take years to find a buyer, but for me, my space, and time is worth more than an extra 500. Who knows WHEN the right buyer will come. Could be today, or 5 years from now. To be i would rather sell locally for 500 today than in 2 years.

Shipping is always an option and will fetch you a better deal. But i just didnt feel like the hassel of renting a truck/taking multiple trips. Packaging, and dealing with the possibility of "item not as describe" and getting charged back.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 PM
icer5160

Originally Posted by turboed350z
By "finding the right buyer" that meands low demand.
Not necessarily. I would argue that the general users on CL do not fall into the "target market" for such a product. This by itself does not indicate low demand.

Anyway, this discussion has gotten off track. If you want to increase the number of potential buyers, post your wheel listing in all the major metropolitan areas within the US. Shipping will be a hassle, but the buyer in most cases will be willing to absorb that cost.

I'll have a look at the wheels section (haven't in a while). I used to actively monitor it until I picked up my v3 Nismo wheels from the very same place

But my guess on the TE37s is more a question of color/fitment/condition rather than price.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:27 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by icer5160
Not necessarily. I would argue that the general users on CL do not fall into the "target market" for such a product. This by itself does not indicate low demand.

Anyway, this discussion has gotten off track. If you want to increase the number of potential buyers, post your wheel listing in all the major metropolitan areas within the US. Shipping will be a hassle, but the buyer in most cases will be willing to absorb that cost.

I'll have a look at the wheels section (haven't in a while). I used to actively monitor it until I picked up my v3 Nismo wheels from the very same place

But my guess on the TE37s is more a question of color/fitment/condition rather than price.
Finding the buyer or target buyer is consider demand. As in the targeted audiance is the demand. To have to find one in the audiance that will buy it means low demands.

Like lets say a supercharger for a prius vs a super charger for a mustang. Both has targeted audiances, yet the demand for the supercharge for the mustang will be high than the demand for the supercharger for the prius.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:56 AM
oldschool350z

Low demand or niche market are not the same. I would say Volk and Rays Wheels fall in the niche area. There could be a person actively searching for these wheels, who knows. Not many people will spend over $1,500 on wheels you can see as on this forum most buy knock offs Aka Varrosten (spell check) or xxr. I've seen the same set of wheels I have sell for $1,000-1,200 on the forum here. Eventually I will find the right person because many people at least around here don't know what Rays Engineering is.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 AM
turboed350z

Low demand or niche market are not the same. I would say Volk and Rays Wheels fall in the niche area. There could be a person actively searching for these wheels, who knows. Not many people will spend over $1,500 on wheels you can see as on this forum most buy knock offs Aka Varrosten (spell check) or xxr. I've seen the same set of wheels I have sell for $1,000-1,200 on the forum here. Eventually I will find the right person because many people at least around here don't know what Rays Engineering is.
It actually is, theres a reason rota and varrosten are in business, there is. Demand for knock of wheels. Theres a reason volks are in business, there are demands for real wheels.

You can argue that niche market and low demands are not the same, but reality is, it is. Supply and demand plays hand in hand. Whether the target audiance is 10 peopla ir 100 people. If the target audience is 10 people and 5 wants the wheels you have 5 demand. If the target audian is 100 people but 50 wants it, 50 demand. If the target audience is 100 but 5 wants you have 5 demand. Niche market or not, demand is demand. And if the niche market consist of a lower number who are buying, that lower demand.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 AM
icer5160

Who needs college for economics and marketing when we have the Z forums XD.
Although I must say, it's refreshing to have some this discussion.
-Icer

Quick Reply: Lowballers on Craigslist