Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

looking for a new lsd. Wondering what is the best for my driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:10 AM
ssmokeyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a new lsd. Wondering what is the best for my driving.

So i have a 2003 350z track pack model and i really enjoy driving her. she has been in the family for 6 years and now has 100k on her. She only gets 5k maxxx miles put on her a year. But when i take her out i like to have fun. The limited slip that i have found is the tomei 2 way. I'm looking for a drop in lsd. At the end of next year im going to order the z1 supercharger kit. They kits out there that have been hitting 450 wheel horse. My goal is 410 any thing over that bonus. Is there any other drop in limited slips that i have passed over? I don't want to spend over $1200 because i want to do some over repairs and mods this winter. Next summer i'm ordering new wheels and tires. rear tire is going to be 275/35zr18 if that matters at all.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:01 AM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

hello, sorry no one has answered you yet.

There probably isn't one right answer. If you search these boards with google I am certain you'll find plenty of thread regarding this.

But as far a lsds goes I've not came across anything indicating there is a power maximum on them. Pop one in and mod that baby!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"Drop in"? Any aftermarket LSD has to be "built" into the pumpkin. You'll need an experienced shop and 5-6 hours of their labor, or a shim kit, the right tools, at least one friend (or more of the right tools), a feeler gauge set, and many hours to install it yourself.

One option, which I have done a few times with my race cars, is to buy an entire pumpkin WITH the aftermarket LSD already installed. I know of two for sale this way, and saves you the time or the labor $ to have to pull yours apart and install the new LSD. Just drop your old pumpkin and bolt up the new one. PM me if you're interested in either of the two.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 AM
ssmokeyy

What i was hoping for is some one to know of a brand or model like a quafe lsd that is gear driven vs clutches like tomei that will bolt up with the factory lsd rear end. who knows maybe the clutches won't ever wear out on that tomei lsd.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got Quaife diffs in two of my cars (the Z and one Alfa), and have always been very happy with them. Thought I might try a Wavetrac in my 6-series BMW this winter.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 AM
ssmokeyy

wavetrac is a sweet. i should give them a call and see if they have any models that work with the factory lsd model.

Talked to wavetrac and they ask $1299 for the lsd and only thing u have to change is the axle flange. Might be a good option.

Last edited by ssmokeyy; 10-12-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:39 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Most clutch types need rebuilding, the more you use it, the more often it needs a rebuild. Because of this, I went OS Giken, they are strong and hardly need a rebuild.

Quaife is the only helical diff I know of for the Z.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll 2nd the OS Giken, but it'll break your budget. Track model, you'll need one new axle stub too for the OS Giken.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 AM
ssmokeyy

If i'm only putting maxx of 5k on it a year and really all i do is slide it some times and speed some. I never really take off that hard since i broke a axle in half in my integra doing that. How long do u think a clutch type lsd will last? Might do the tomei and also get 3.9 gear also.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So you are going FI, you will be running a short rear tire and you want to shorten your gears. You may want to do some research first.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:19 PM
ssmokeyy

I did look in to it and at first i wanted to go higher than the 3.9 but thought the 3.9 would be ok. Whats wrong with the tires? Seems like 275/35zr18 is the go to tire on these cars. I don't need to change to the 3.9 gear but thought since i was in there might be a good idea.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:11 PM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no aftermarket LSD on the market that simply bolts up to a rear end. You'll need to swap out the LSD inside the pumpkin. That being said it will require new seals, shims, bearings, and an experienced person shimming/measuring backlash, runout, etc.

I have a Cusco RS 1.5/2way set for 60% 1.5 way. Clunks once in a while but overall very quiet. I had it on 100% years ago and that had much more clunk/chatter. Recommend you do research into clutch type lsd's to make sure it is right for you. Too many stories of people wanting a go fast part but have no clue about streetibility...then hating the fact their car sounds broken when entering a parking lot, mall, or gas station.

Quaife is quiet and the most streetable as far as I know. But it's helical...a different animal from a clutch type LSD.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:30 PM
ssmokeyy

I have read about the clutch type. I would love to get a helical but i don't want to really waste the time finding the extra parts. when i say drop in lsd i mean like the tomei that bolts right up to the factory lsd rear end after u remove the factory lsd. I'm a tech for a living and work at a heavy line gmc dealer. My plan was to do it at work if i run in to a problem one of the guys here can help.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ssmokeyy
I have read about the clutch type. I would love to get a helical but i don't want to really waste the time finding the extra parts. when i say drop in lsd i mean like the tomei that bolts right up to the factory lsd rear end after u remove the factory lsd. I'm a tech for a living and work at a heavy line gmc dealer. My plan was to do it at work if i run in to a problem one of the guys here can help.
All LSD's for the car bolt right in just line mentioned above.

Remove 3rd member
Take out diff carrier
Remove ring gear
Install new bearing onto new LSD
Install ring gear on new LSD
Set backlash by shimming
Install in car.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

From everything I've read, it appears as though:

2009+ 370z 6-spd
2007-2008 G35S w/ 6-spd
2008+ G37 w/ 6-spd

All have a 3.69 viscous lsd.

Everything about them is a direct swap iirc. Even the 2008 Auto G37's got the same diff, though you'd have to swap over your current driveshaft flange.

It's not the best limited slip, obviously, but low mileage units can be purchased bolt-in ready for $350-$600). Rebuilding would be somewhat inexpensive versus an aftermarket unit.

Food for thought. (Though you may consider keeping the 3:53 if you're going FI)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:31 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by n0smoke
Rebuilding would be somewhat inexpensive versus an aftermarket unit.
No one rebuilds the VLSD's, as they're a sealed unit. When they fail, they're trash, but you can use the housing for an aftermarket LSD upgrade.. No idea what Nissan/Infiniti would charge for a new one, but it's certainly too much. However, the VLSD is not a bad stop-gap, and I installed one in my base car before I had the Quaife. You'd be crazy to pay more than $300 or $400 for a verified low-mileage one, though.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:20 AM
ssmokeyy

Thank u all for the help. scotts300 i sent u a pm about a price for the wavetrac. As of right now i'm going with the tomei 2 way its easy to install vs others since it doesn't need a list of other parts. I would love to get my hands on the wavetrac scotts300 has for sale.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 AM
matik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't drifting, I really wouldn't suggest a 2 way. You'd be fine with a 1.5 way. In that sense, you can't go wrong with a nismo although they are on the pricier side. I personally would just go for tomei 1.5 way if you are going to have it installed into your pumpkin. It's a well known company known for exceptional quality parts plus it won't break your bank. You can get a 1.5 way for under 1k.

*edit
Tomei also offers a 1.5 way paired with 3.9 final drive as a package deal if you are interested in that

Last edited by matik; 10-14-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 AM
ssmokeyy

Can i still get the 1.5 way to drift easy? I like to do high speed road course type driving but i would like to make it easy for her to drift. Is there any where that talks about factory lsd vs aftermarket lsd's
Old 10-15-2015, 05:50 AM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmokeyy
Can i still get the 1.5 way to drift easy? I like to do high speed road course type driving but i would like to make it easy for her to drift. Is there any where that talks about factory lsd vs aftermarket lsd's
Soooo easy. 1.5 way is more suited to road course versus a 2 way. For power oversteer a 1.5 way acts the same as a 2 way under power. Locks 50% less under braking/decel...hence 1.5 way. Just need to think about the amount of lock up you will set for the LSD. If you intend to street a 60% lockup is cool.

Even at a minimal lockup an aftermarket LSD vs factory VLSD has no comparison. The VLSD is so weak and as it heats up on the track the viscous coupling becomes less effective for locking up the wheels. Power on corner exit I'm pretty much one wheeling it on the road course. You can get on the power much sooner with the aftermarket LSD...very predictable lap after lap...the Z is a heavy car but the aftermarket LSD helps rotate the better. I put a Nismo diff cooler on my pumpkin to cool things down a bit.

I've driven on both in the same car this year during the race season. I have a 2 complete differentials in the garage and will be selling the VLSD.

Last edited by clubhopper; 10-15-2015 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: looking for a new lsd. Wondering what is the best for my driving.