Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Got my first ticket (loud exhaust) - worth to fight in court?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Put the silencer in and see if they pass it as good
Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AffyliatedZ
Pulled over for a "loud exhaust" (Fairfax County, VA)... I have a squeaky clean driving record so no, I wasn't speeding or driving recklessly... I was cruising at 35mph in the busy suburbs. I have a Tomei which is pretty tame in normal driving if you keep it under 3k. First thing he asks "Your exhaust is louder than all the other cars, is it aftermarket?" and I said "Yes, it's aftermarket and I passed inspection - I have a functional catalytic converter and no leaks so it functions exactly like the stock exhaust." He responded back with "it's still louder than all the other cars out here."

I have never been pulled over before. In my head I was thinking about all the motorcycles/harleys/trucks/domestics that are WAYYY louder than my Z. Was I profiled? I mean yeah, you can absolutely tell I have an aftermarket exhaust - the Tomei looks like a cannon back there... But I feel like he pulled me over to see if he could possibly hit me with other violations and just used my exhaust as an excuse after finding nothing. I showed him my silencer and told him I can install it in 2 minutes (in desperation) and it will really muffle the sound... he didn't buy it. He didn't even know what a silencer was.

Now on the ticket, it says my charge is "unapproved equipment (aftermarket exhaust)" - it says NOTHING about it being loud. If I passed my inspection/emissions then wouldn't that mean that it's approved? Also - is a silencer good enough to have the charge dropped if I snapped a pic and brought it with me to court?

start off by searching up the violation code for the unapproved equipment on the internet and read what the code states. then post the code section on here so we can read it and tell you what your options are. it all depends on what the "code section" states. in the past i had a cop write me for a violation that has nothing to do with my loud exhaust and i got that thrown out instantly because i read the code section.

i had a few of those tickets in the past for my loud *** exhaust it all varies depending on the state.

usually what i do to beat all of those tickets is just register the car from a different state. and drive the car in your current state. then go to court tell the judge your not a resident of the current state therefore the exhaust ticket doesnt apply to you. judge will dismiss it right away.

dont give into the police. police only eat glazed donuts and give out tickets to generate revenue for the state and throw innocent citizens in jail for paper bu11sh1t violations. they are good for nothing.

Last edited by Justin100; 03-31-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:12 AM
cmu99cv2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Family got pulled in Pittsylvania, VA a while back. Judge was a complete ***** supposedly and most people in the court were getting pulled for 5 over. Most places are just desperate for any money they can gain off little BS tickets like that because officers have nothing else to do. But Virginia is for sure one of the places I never plan to move to, a lot of towns, I've heard, are like that so I'll move somewhere I can have my Evo 2 on with some ART pipes in the future maybe