Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Totalled my car. Insurance co lowballing me

Old 05-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Rogerdodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totalled my car. Insurance co lowballing me

Guys,
My pride and joy was rear ended at a stoplight here in Marietta , Georgia last week. 06 Rev up, with about 6K in aftermarket parts and 90K on the odometer.

1. Geico who insures me had an adjuster go out and quote me $8100 they would give me if i claimed it on my insurance. If i do this , i have to give the car to them as is with all my parts on it.

2. Nationwide which is the insurance of the kid that hit me and has claimed full responsibility is not going to offer me anything but said they would pay my deductible and rental car bills. WTF!

3. The tow yard that has my car sent a notice that my car will be salvaged in 21 days and i will be charged a $500.00 abandonment fee if i let it eclipse that time frame.

Sorry for the long story but was wondering if anyone out there totaled their car and the insurance company is denying payment for the car damage or lowballing the **** out of you as well as denying they will pay for any aftermarket parts?

any suggestions on what i can do?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Rogerdodger

Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Hope they send you some lube
Old 05-19-2016, 01:46 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

When I totaled mine back in 07'... progressive cut us the same amount Geico is offering you. However, my car is bone stock compared to yours so I was more receptive in accepting the check.

I am also puzzled at Nationwide's view at covering your loss. If your car is totaled, it's not fixable so paying your deductible is negligible.

I also have Geico and during my sign up they're asking me for the list/cost of all my aftermarket parts. So my parts should be covered if I total my car *** knock on wood *** it doesn't happen.

PS. I also heard all insurance company sux but Geico gave me the lowest rate, so I hope I'm taken care of if anything happens to my car.

GL on your situation.

Last edited by stogey420time; 05-19-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:02 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Well first off go to the yard your car was towed too and pay them and have your car towed home... Its It's s your car. If you dispute the worth you can have your car appraised and submit that to the insurance company... But if the accident wasnt your fault nationwide should be paying the full bill... They should also pay for the fees from the yard the car is stored at and your fee from getting the car towed... Get recipes, make copies and stay cooperative to the insurance company...
Old 05-19-2016, 02:08 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Gather up a list of all your aftermarket parts and gather up your receipt folder and start making copies, if you didnt keep receipts or purchased used your probably not getting any bonus money... Other then that your probably going to get offered kbb average retail value, and you can take it or leave it.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:12 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

If you disagree with the adjuster you need to call geico and let them know and have your claim go to an arbitrator.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 PM
mignav01

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Totalled my car. Insurance co lowballing me

First talk to Geico and say you aren't satisfied with that number, if worst comes to worst, buy the car back for dirt cheap and salvage the mods and part out the car. I had the same thing happen to me in my G a few weeks ago, sorry for your loss
Old 05-19-2016, 04:19 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

most insurance companies will not pay for aftermarket parts unless you have that rider.

nationwide is wrong, they are responsible.... but something isn't adding up here, feel like we are missing part of the story
Old 05-19-2016, 04:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
If you disagree with the adjuster you need to call geico and let them know and have your claim go to an arbitrator.
Originally Posted by travlee
most insurance companies will not pay for aftermarket parts unless you have that rider.

nationwide is wrong, they are responsible.... but something isn't adding up here, feel like we are missing part of the story
You shouldn't have to be doing anything here. Geico, your carrier, can pay you out so you can get on with your life and subrogate against Nationwide for what they paid out to you.

Like Trav said, considering they've accepted liability, there's something definitely amiss. And on the aftermarket parts, well, I think you're SOL on that because as they say, "you gotta pay to play". If you've not paid for additional coverage for "specialty parts" then there's no reason - legitimately - for them to pay now. Don't shoot..... just messenger.
The following users liked this post:
QuintonC (05-20-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Its your agents job to get this settle. Not yoyrs. Tell him to do his job. If you didnt insure the parts, on file, they dont exist.

If its not your fault, you shouldnt have to pay a dime for ANYTHING. Towing, rental car, whatever. When someone hit my camry YEARS ago, the insurance company cut us a check for the value of the car PLUS the cost of rental for the 2 weeks the investigation took. They gave us something like 25 bucks a day in rental since i had my other car so it didnt matter.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:04 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

h t t p s : / / w w w . h a g e r t y . c o m

$10,000 guarantied coverage for hobby 350Z (at my age) costs $511 per year. $500 deductible.

Last edited by JCat; 05-19-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Have the car towed to your house and buy it back after they pay you for the loss, if you think the aftermarket parts are in useable shape. Just don't sell any junk that could damage someone else's car.If you think the offer is low regardless find some comparable examples for sale local to you and if they are asking more provide that to your ins company. One of my employee's got rear ended and they got a lowball offer. He found comps that showed he couldn't replace it for the offer they gave him and they raised the payout.good luck
Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

They hit you, your insurance should be working with you to get the money your car is worth. Aftermarket parts, just because you didn't pay extra on your policy, doesn't mean you should be SOL cause someone else crashed into you.

If it was your fault, yes you would be SOL
Old 05-19-2016, 08:29 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I have been rear ended twice over the years, both cars had aftermarket parts on them which the adjuster took pictures of to raise the value of the car to keep them from totaling. As long as you were not at fault, the other ins co is responsible to cover all parts.

If you were at fault like everyone else was saying.. if you didn't have the parts listed on your ryder then your ins can deny covering them. I used to work for a body shop, most insurance companys will work with you when you were not at fault. Just make sure you do not sign or accept a payment if you don't agree with it!!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I would have it towed to my house.

Replace all the stuff you can sell or want to keep then haggle with them over value of the car. If a part was damaged AND you have receipts then wonder if you COULD add that on top of the value of the car. I mean the kid caused the accident and should be liable for your losses.

Damn pretty Z. Sorry
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A buddy of mine had a Black 04 touring that got totaled. Insurance company in Massachusetts low balled him. I helped him get a couple grand on top by grabbing a KBB , blackbook, and Nada auto quote. I picked the 2 that resulted in the highest value and the insurance company averaged them.

If you have/had a lean on the car, It may help by getting these through the loan provider.

As for the aftermarket parts... you have the opportunity here in Massachusetts to report them to the insurance company. In the event your auto is totaled, they would cover them.

Every state is different....
Old 05-20-2016, 03:19 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Call whichever lawyer advertises on TV during Jerry Springer or Judge Judy and tell them that Nationwide is trying to screw you for an accident that wasn't your fault.

And then tell them your neck hurts. They'll be all over you like stink on a turd and Nationwide will give you what you're owed.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

What does the police report say? Where are you getting the $6k figure for aftermarket parts from?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:19 PM
JRP350z

Originally Posted by travlee

Standard insurance company low *****, fight it or get rolled over.
It's what they do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totalled my car. Insurance co lowballing me