2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain issue - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Jake Booth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery drain issue - Please help!

Hi guys,

Going to call in a auto electrician this week if i cant sort this myself.

I have installed a new sony HU to my 350 and replaced the bose HU - still using the factory speakers and sub/amp. When the car is left for a day or 2 the battery is dead.

I have since diagnosed it to be the radio and have removed the fuse and the battery holds charge no problem (new battery a few weeks ago).

Is there any common reasons for the amp/sub to be staying on/powered whilst the car is off? As if the fuse is in and i try and turn on the stereo i can hear a clicking/quiet thud from the sub trying to power on - remove the fuse and this sound goes away.

Please help - there is a wire for 'amp ignition live' and i have plugged it in to the only available slot on the harness? My thoughts are that this is a live feed not and ignition live - any ideas? will try and get some pictures later but currently at work

Thanks all

Jake.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Jake and welcome. The battery is discharging because you have a continuously powered wire (they are usually yellow) connected to the H/U. You need to change this to an ignition switched power line.

The harness might have a continuous power input that is a minimal draw, and usually just there to charge a power storage component in the H/U to save setting if you disconnect the car’s battery.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:47 AM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

What Spike100 said.

You can use a test light to verify this. The only line running to the Stereo with constant power should be the memory wire to store saved settings, which is a very low drawing circuit. The main power wire for the H/U should be switched with the ignition system. The "Amp ignition live" wire is there for this specific purpose. To power on the AMP only when you have the ignition in the accessory position or with the engine on.

Good Luck! This should be an easy fix.