Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Windows roll down problem 2003Z

Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 AM
welkinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windows roll down problem 2003Z

Hi,

When I pull out my keys and open the door to exit both windows roll all the way down. No way to exit with the windows up. I have tried the "fix" for the automatic down-up that the window is supposed to do when you open then close the door. With the key in this down-up works just fine.

Thinking it might be a BCM problem I've tried removing the BCM fuse to (hopefully) force a reset - no joy.

PLEASE - unless you absolutely KNOW the solution - please view my video on YouTube of this problem.

Thanks.

...welkinator
Old 05-21-2017, 02:42 PM
tblunt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This old post looks like what issue you are having, read the last post and try that ?
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-down-wtf.html
The following users liked this post:
welkinator (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:43 PM
HCO_surfer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to take the door panel off and do the motor reset.
welkinator (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:04 PM
welkinator

The last post says, "must be a secret cause im having the same problem and only started happening after i got my battery changed and my whole alarm system was messed up too. would go off when the car was unlocked... computer maybe?? anyone have any ideas?" I don't see a solution there.

In fact, eight posts up from the bottom 3FilthyZ says, "Figured it out" but he never posts what he did,

Someone else said they replaced the $160 windows motor. Since this happens simultaneously to both windows AND the fact that they work perfectly if the key is in the ignition and turned on I reject this as a solution. Besides, both motors were replaced two years ago.

You say I should remove the door panel and use the "reset" behind the panel. While this is easy enough to do - and I may well try it - my objection is again >> both windows<< ??

I appreciate the feedback and I WILL post the solution once I have it. (BTW, it rained two days ago and I have an inch or two of water under the seats - Damn!!!)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:58 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Hello,
I'm curious if you tried this, it might not fix the issue, but when you get out of the car after the windows rolled down by themselves. Have you tried inserting your key into the driver's keyhole, and turn it right, hold it there for a few seconds? The windows will all roll up and the 350Z will lock its door when you do this.

Also, the remote key fob (lock, unlock, alarm) do you have one? Could it be possible that the "unlock" button is stuck or damaged? When you hold this button, the Z will roll down its window all the way down, but then, you said it's only if you open the door so that may not be the case.

Try the first suggestion.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. I read through the links just now. Seems to be a strange occurrence. I don't think the motor needs to be replaced if they function fine, as that would be an expensive gamble. I think it could be an electronic-related issue. A motor-reset may be your best bet as of now.

Good luck!
welkinator (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:41 AM
welkinator

Hi, Zwei

Tried the driver's door key lock and the key will mechanically lock and unlock the doors - but ... this didn't solve the problem.

I did remove the batteries from my two remotes no help (now I have to reprogram them - another DAMN!)

NEW (additional) SYMPTOM: the BCM is programmed to allow rolling up and down the windows for a few seconds AFTER you have removed the key. On my car, if I roll up the windows, then, remaining in my seat, I pull the key ... and wait. After 45 seconds (I timed it) THE DAMN WINDOWS ROLL DOWN ON THEIR OWN.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:34 PM
HCO_surfer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Were the motors replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts?
welkinator (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

What an oddball issue.... Things I would try

Take your keyless entry remote and move it far away from uour car and then try rolling up the Windows and see if it works when you exit the car.

Remove door panel and roll up window unplugg the switch from the harness and see if you can exit the vehicle with them staying up.

Thats all I got for now... It almost seems like your unlock button could be stuck down... Are you able to lock and unlock the cat still?

Good luck
welkinator (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
What an oddball issue.... Things I would try

Take your keyless entry remote and move it far away from uour car and then try rolling up the Windows and see if it works when you exit the car.

Remove door panel and roll up window unplugg the switch from the harness and see if you can exit the vehicle with them staying up.

Thats all I got for now... It almost seems like your unlock button could be stuck down... Are you able to lock and unlock the cat still?

Good luck
He mentioned that he already dealt with the remote fob, so it's not that. I already brought that up. I would wonder if Nissan has a way to fix this at the dealership. I do think it's a programming issue/malfunctioning device/wire somewhere if the motor reset won't fix it.
welkinator (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM
welkinator

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the inputs that I'm getting - I have tried taking the batteries out of both my fobs - no joy

BUT - unintended consequences: for many months now the tick-tick-tick sound for turn signals did not work even though the lights DID work. After reprogramming the fobs the sound is back!

Go figure!

I haven't taken the door panel off yet; I will - just to rule it out.

Thanks guys/gals/guls
...the welkinator
Old 05-22-2017, 04:30 PM
tblunt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wierd, the last post in the thread I linked isn't that one , we probably have page counts set different, it's post #26 but anyway, relevant part was this.

Remove your driver side handle, 2 bolts behind the black grommets on the door. And disconnect the little plastic relay over your key cylinder. I used a tiny screw driver and just lifted the top one and it came off super easy. That is it. The problem will stop. When you have more time you will need to find out why your key/window opener option is going nuts on its own. I haven't had the time to completely open my door panel and see if there is a wire grounded yet but at least till you get to that point you can roll up your windows and turn off your car and actually get out. I really don't care about the putting key in door and windows roll down option or the holding the button to roll down my windows. But if you do you will need to fix it because removing the relay from the key cylinder turns it off from what i can tell. If you get stuck like I did in a parking lot and need to still go in because you can't just up and leave, then remove the screw in the switch panel of your driver door, pop it off, turn on your car, roll up your windows and pull the plug to your window switches. This will also stop it till you can get somewhere with more tools and open your handle. I hope this helps others!
welkinator (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 04:54 PM
welkinator

THIS PROCEDURE FIXED IT:
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the Door Panel.

^ Refer to the applicable Service Manual for Door Panel removal instructions

2. With the door open, lift UP and HOLD the Window Switch
until the Window is fully closed.

^ Do not use the Window auto-closing function

^ Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully closed

3. Get inside the vehicle and close the door.

^ You need to close the door so the Door Switch is fully depressed

4. Press and HOLD the Window Regulator Motor Reset Switch.
While holding the Reset Switch,
press DOWN and HOLD the Window Switch until
the Window is fully opened.

^ Do not use the Window auto-opening function

^ Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully opened

5. Release the Reset Switch. Then,
lift UP and HOLD the Window Switch
until the Window is fully closed.

^ Do not use the Window auto-closing function

^ Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully closed

6. Open the Door to release the Door Switch.
The Window Glass should partially move down.

7. Re-install the Door Panel.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:00 PM
welkinator

BTW - in one of my earlier posts I mentioned "unintended consequences" of regaining the clicker sound of the turn signals (remember, I said the actual lamps always WORKED correctly, including dash indicators) - but now that the Button Reset procedure worked for the window problem, I've again lost the chime sound. Z's! Go Figure!

Search this Thread