Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

300whp..... how cute

i keeeeeeeeeed, i keeeeeeeeeeeeed
Old 06-23-2017, 03:28 AM
AX8

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Today on Jay's Garage, We'll discuss the BMW 135i vs. our beloved 350Z

Keep my '03 Z or move on to a BMW 135i?-bmw-v8-swap.jpg

The BMW looks like a tall Euro Economy Coupe, even when " Racered Out " compared to the Z...

After this commercial break, we'll discuss...
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 AM
canadarob

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned both.
Ive extensively tracked both.
I chose the 350z as my race car build.

You can make the 135 and 335i handle excellent. But they require $. Their stock suspension is even worse than the 350z stock. Worse, their bushings are flimsy and completely ruin the response.
Also, cost of maintenance parts are 2-3 times as expensive as the Nissan parts.
The drive train is stellar though. Especially flashed and full bolt on mods + methanol injection. I had a N55 pushing 18-21psi boost and dynoed at 380whp/472ftlbs. It was dead reliable powertrain wise. But heat degrades things. I had changed valve cover, gasket, oil cooler gasket, water pump twice etc. (all cheap since I did them myself. But still not a cost that I ever saw on the 350z).
All depends what you want. If you want luxury , straight line speed and you dont mind the extra $ for upkeep. Go for the 135i as a street car.

Also, if your using this for track. A stock 135i will disappoint you unless its a straight line.

Last edited by canadarob; 06-23-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:35 PM
joranginous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 335 sport with 175,000km. I bought it for 7500 cad. I welded the exhaust back on which the previous owner hacked off. I put the correct plugs in the car. Replaced the coilpacks and fixed a vacuum line so I now have two turbos working. The cars had the water pump changed at 140k and the valve cover gasket and oil filter assembly and gasket replaced at 165k. It is currently still trying to go into limp mode when driven hard. I think it because the wastegates bushings are worn out and the wastegate won't close all the way. If you want a car that u can count on and have stable costs. Stick with the z. If u plan on straight line and leave room for a 5k diy budget you can have a good time with a 335. It has a neat aftermarket following. I love my z and it has never let me down yet. I'm not sure if the 07 or grand touring was made with more love, but I have been lucky enough to have no window or csc problems(maybe cause low km 75,000km)It has injen, art pipes, exhaust and a tune. Love the z, will give the bmw a fair chance but I can see myself buying a g for my family car. Major downer, no lsd even on sport model bmw
Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by joranginous
I just bought a 335 sport with 175,000km. I bought it for 7500 cad. I welded the exhaust back on which the previous owner hacked off. I put the correct plugs in the car. Replaced the coilpacks and fixed a vacuum line so I now have two turbos working. The cars had the water pump changed at 140k and the valve cover gasket and oil filter assembly and gasket replaced at 165k. It is currently still trying to go into limp mode when driven hard. I think it because the wastegates bushings are worn out and the wastegate won't close all the way. If you want a car that u can count on and have stable costs. Stick with the z. If u plan on straight line and leave room for a 5k diy budget you can have a good time with a 335. It has a neat aftermarket following. I love my z and it has never let me down yet. I'm not sure if the 07 or grand touring was made with more love, but I have been lucky enough to have no window or csc problems(maybe cause low km 75,000km)It has injen, art pipes, exhaust and a tune. Love the z, will give the bmw a fair chance but I can see myself buying a g for my family car. Major downer, no lsd even on sport model bmw

Are the turbo's rattling pretty bad?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna chime in and maybe this will help your decision more.

BMW - Breaks Monthly & Weekly
The Germans over engineer these cars, even more than Nissan. So keep that in mind. These cars in my experience are a pain in the *** to work on. I consider a BMW a car for a guy who doesn't want to ever work on his car or a guy who is loaded and will pay whatever to get whatever done. Nothing in between.

Kinda like when Infiniti upgraded the G in the 2005-2007 years. They made changes to everything but kept alot similar. Definitely go with a 2011 and up I series if you do get one. The improvements will make a 2009-2010 look meh.

Some great things about the car. The differential is a double helical ball bearing setup. Sounds awesome probably really over engineered but I bet it's effective and smooth and dependable. Supposedly it's quiet and stays alot cooler than other diffs. You can have a 135is that has a M suspension under it.

IMO BMWs are what they are. If you like to tinker alot I wouldn't get it. As far as looks I've always like Mercedes more looking at the 1 series which will be a little heavier than your Z kinda looks outdated for the year. I know BMW stays with there scheme but the interior to me isn't all that great looking either.

I say look into a used Infiniti Q50 or Q60 or whenever the G changed to Q in that same year range.

​​​​​
Old 06-24-2017, 08:16 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I'm gonna chime in and maybe this will help your decision more.

BMW - Breaks Monthly & Weekly
The Germans over engineer these cars, even more than Nissan. So keep that in mind. These cars in my experience are a pain in the *** to work on. I consider a BMW a car for a guy who doesn't want to ever work on his car or a guy who is loaded and will pay whatever to get whatever done. Nothing in between.

Kinda like when Infiniti upgraded the G in the 2005-2007 years. They made changes to everything but kept alot similar. Definitely go with a 2011 and up I series if you do get one. The improvements will make a 2009-2010 look meh.

Some great things about the car. The differential is a double helical ball bearing setup. Sounds awesome probably really over engineered but I bet it's effective and smooth and dependable. Supposedly it's quiet and stays alot cooler than other diffs. You can have a 135is that has a M suspension under it.

IMO BMWs are what they are. If you like to tinker alot I wouldn't get it. As far as looks I've always like Mercedes more looking at the 1 series which will be a little heavier than your Z kinda looks outdated for the year. I know BMW stays with there scheme but the interior to me isn't all that great looking either.

I say look into a used Infiniti Q50 or Q60 or whenever the G changed to Q in that same year range.

​​​​​
Your completely wrong. I have many friends that own and service their own BMW's. They are really easy to work on and the forum support and help from fellow owners is second to none. I think a lot of the problems you hear about with BMW's come from the guys who buy them for less than 10k and over 100,000 miles. All cars break at that point. I work on all my cars and the straight 6 is really the easiest motor ever to work on. I can do the valve cover gasket on my BMW 6 in half the time it took to do the V6 350z's. Further more my 330I only had one coil pack failure in 100k that's Honda/Toyota reliability IMHO. I would say skip the turbo cars though and find an E90 M3 in your price range. They are pretty bullet proof once the rod bearings are done.

Name:  IMG_0164_zps45f0befc.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  107.3 KB

I got 200k on this X5. Only got rid of it because we fell in love with the E70
Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 AM
dynamic21

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i just dont understand it, when i decided i wanted a vette i went and looked at them, and bought it the next day. i didnt feel the need or desire to come on here and ask if i should keep my nissan or not.
How is it difficult to understand? Buying a vehicle can be a large purchase for an individual and I think it's a relatively simple thing to comprehend that someone may want to gather as many logical perspectives on their decision prior to pulling the trigger. Not sure how that's confusing at all.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM
travlee
Master

So what you are saying is....you cant make a financial decison on your own. Got it
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 AM
dynamic21

So what you are saying is....you cant make a financial decison on your own. Got it
Correct, and neither can you. Everyone does some sort of research whether it be test driving a vehicle, asking others of previous experiences, or both (and potentially more). I'm glad you're just now coming to this realization lol.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM
travlee
Master

I researched options and etc yes, did i start a thread asking complete strangers what i should do...nope
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM
dynamic21

I researched options and etc yes, did i start a thread asking complete strangers what i should do...nope
lol oh yeah? So his form of research is inferior to yours prior to making his informed decision?.... because you didn't start a thread? Well then, you've got life figured out bud.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM
travlee
Master

He asked is to convince him to keep the z or get the 1 series.... i dont call that research
Old 06-26-2017, 01:48 PM
dynamic21

He asked is to convince him to keep the z or get the 1 series.... i dont call that research
Therein lies the conflict. I do. I consider it similar to employers calling references.

The way OP delivered the request so directly "Convince me..." I could argue is a little off-putting, but is fair game nonetheless. Posts that request opinions and encourage warm discussion I think is a good thing for this community. We all have the option not to reply.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:58 PM
travlee
Master

I will halfway give you that one