Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Reverse lights always on, except when in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:37 PM
absurdparadox

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reverse lights always on, except when in reverse?

So I am just finishing up a clutch swap, and I also had a couple synchros in my tranny replaced.

I am having an issue where the reverse lights are working "backwords". Neutral and any gear but reverse, they are on. In reverse, they are off.

I notice it and the neutral switch are the same shape of plug -- could I have the plugs backwards? (I can't imagine there is a way to route it the other way though, seems impossible)

Secondly, when doing the 5/6th gear synchro, could the shop have swapped the sensors around? (kind of doubt it)

Something else to try?

Thanks a ton.

Also, unrelated, when I have the car on but engine off, and it is in neutral, I can hear a high pitched whine from the engine bay, but if I put it in any gear, it stops. The hell is that?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We need to know the year of your car, and we need to have a wiring diagram for it. I'll offer some preliminary suggestions, though.

With the recent work on the transmission, I'd definitely look there first. It's possible (even likely) one or several of the gazillion internal parts were installed incorrectly. It's really bad to need to open it up again to correct the light issue, but that's the best way.

If you're happy with the way the clutch and transmission are working otherwise, there's a relative easy alternative way to fix the problem, though.

Get an inexpensive single pole-double throw 12-volt relay. Get a wiring diagram for your car, and figure out how to wire the relay so it does the opposite of the reverse switch. If you post the wiring diagram, we can tell you exactly how to do the wiring on the relay.

On some cars, a bad ground connection for the tail lights or brake lights will cause the reverse lights to come on, but I don't think that's your problem.

I suspect the "unrelated" problem will go away when you fix the light issue.

Last edited by winchman; 07-07-2017 at 08:46 PM.