Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NATS system causing car not to crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default NATS system causing car not to crank

so i've narrowed down a cranking issue i've been having with the car not cranking. Turns out it is the NATS system/antenna or malfunction in or around that area. I've confirmed this with the red light on the dash near the window. If i put the key in and turn to ACC and if the light is solid red, then my car won't crank. However if the light is not on then my car will crank and run fine.

what scratches my head is how all this happened.

this past weekend (with no prior cranking issue) i took my car out to an autocross event. On my last run of the day, i oversteered, lost control of the car and stalled it (didn't clutch in fast enough and car was still in gear when it came to a stop). After it stalled I turned the key over to crank but it didn't want to turn over. took the key out and cranked again and everything fired up and i finished the run.

Since then, my car has been having cranking issues due to the NATS system. Could stalling the car out like that cause this NATS issue?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

NATS cuts the fuel pump, you can spin the engine all day, but no fuel.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
NATS cuts the fuel pump, you can spin the engine all day, but no fuel.
so speaking on your terms but vice versa..does a faulty fuel pump cause the NATS to immobilize the car?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

How is the little plastic pluger piece that gets pushed down on when you hold the clutch... If you managed to tweak it a bit in all the excitement maybe thats your issue..

Could also be a bad starter, poor connection to the starter etc etc

Good luck
Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried a spare key and getting out of the locked state?

To reset a NATS lock mode, a proper key must be cycled three times again to get the car to start, explaining why with even using the original key, it took three tries to start.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...610-p1614.html
Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Gonzalo Cortes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
so i've narrowed down a cranking issue i've been having with the car not cranking. Turns out it is the NATS system/antenna or malfunction in or around that area. I've confirmed this with the red light on the dash near the window. If i put the key in and turn to ACC and if the light is solid red, then my car won't crank. However if the light is not on then my car will crank and run fine.

what scratches my head is how all this happened.

this past weekend (with no prior cranking issue) i took my car out to an autocross event. On my last run of the day, i oversteered, lost control of the car and stalled it (didn't clutch in fast enough and car was still in gear when it came to a stop). After it stalled I turned the key over to crank but it didn't want to turn over. took the key out and cranked again and everything fired up and i finished the run.

Since then, my car has been having cranking issues due to the NATS system. Could stalling the car out like that cause this NATS issue?
My Z started doing the same thing out of no where. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all. In my opinion its more of an electrical issue than anything else. Could be the BCM/Immobilizer or the key itself. I eventually plan on disabling NATS with UPREV/OSIRIS that way you can use unregisterd keys and not worry about being stranded somewhere. Its annoying for sure when it doesnt want to crank and like most people say they just pull the key out and put it back in and it fires right up. Of course the red light has to be off in order for it to start. It might take a couple of tries. I also read that you dont want to try cranking it more than 3 times in a row or NATS will disable that key and it will not start at all. Hope this helps a bit.