Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

03 350z little help

Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM
stitchz33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 350z little help

Got a few questions again, still feel like I’m having power loss and defiantly feels in the first few gears, I replaced the clutch and all probably 2-3k miles ago, and I did break in first 1k miles, thought my old clutch was toast it was on its way out but looked like it had little life still, but I could tell it had gotten hot. So replaced clutch with the z1 mild clutch kit, an overall I love how it feels and all, and yes I readjusted the clutch pedal after the break in. Still little odd feeling in pedal tho as it’s coming to top position (smooshy). Could be the master/slave? Causing power loss? Noticed runs better when more gas is in the tank not sure if has anything to do with it. Car has 195k miles on transmission and body, injections getting poor flow? I take good care atleast try my best, iv done maintaince wise, coils an ngk plugs, k+n intake, new valve covers an gaskets, new injector O’rings, oil catch can, clutch, belts etc. oil changed every 3-3500 miles 10w30 royal purple, oh an not sure if my wheels make a diffence but I am running 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear, 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 38psi front 40psi rear, also a small bump in exhaust noise at idle almost like a small miss, but I do have a angency power single exit on the car an guy I got the exhaust from said it did same kind of sound on his car. Any help or ideas or any advice much appreciated
Old 11-16-2017, 05:22 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

On questions like this, it's hard to really say if you really have much power loss at all. Why not start by taking your Z to a dyno shop and get a baseline. Shouldn't cost much, but will give some hard numbers, rather than what your butt is telling you. Get some a/f numbers if possible.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
On questions like this, it's hard to really say if you really have much power loss at all. Why not start by taking your Z to a dyno shop and get a baseline. Shouldn't cost much, but will give some hard numbers, rather than what your butt is telling you. Get some a/f numbers if possible.
^^^This.

Problem with stated problem is no one has anything to compare to. There was another thread this week saying "no power" and I asked then, "Compared to WHAT?" Another Z? Compared to how it was running last week? Compared to a different car you had?"

If what you're asking isn't comparing to any of these things, maybe your expectations of the car are just a little skewed. Z's are nice little cars but they're not all THAT powerful (although more powerful than a lot its drivers around Thanksgiving ) so possibly expectations of Corvette or AMG like acceleration are causing some disappointment? Just askin', not sayin' they are.

In any event, if you have someone else's Z to drive and compare OR, as dkmura mentions, you can take it in for a dyno/tune and go from there or have the shop tell you you weren't imagining things and something IS wrong.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:03 PM
stitchz33

Thanks for the reply, and finding a good dyno place around me has been hard but looks like I’ll look more into it, i was gunna wait till finish small mods befor I go an tune. But reason I say power loss is in the Rpms first few gears several reasons, being that sometimes it seems to pull what I would call normal an then at times it seems to be revving up but the speed doesn’t match, an I’m not talking fast I’m talking about first 30mph, an no I’m not expecting crazy power or anything but I’m general. I love the Z an have for years, also owned one other z befor this one but wheels on it also were 17s an lot less narrow so wheel size/weight I know could possibly be getting me. And I guess I’m trying to figure out if the master/slave is going out, either way I wouldn’t mind getting it done, since just got the clutch done little back. I daily the z as well.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 PM
yummmy96712

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z1 if you're south tn, dynosty if you're north. They both can diagnose and dyno.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:14 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 440 Likes on 356 Posts

Heavier tires/wheels WILL make a difference in acceleration.

Also, you might want to figure out you idle "miss" the car could be misfiring and it's just not noticeable under load
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM
stitchz33

I’m middle tn Nashville area, herd z1 is where the guy I got the exhaust from he goes for tuning and all. I work in a shop and can do most work myself, we have scanner watch live data an all, everything seems good an iv done tune up coils an plugs, the “miss” I wouldn’t really call a miss, it’s random and not too too often, Rpms maybe change 638- 650-680 but just didn’t know if It’s the way the exhaust is made or something cause the guy that had it befor said it did the same on his, I guess I’m just trying to see if the master/slave needs be replaced, and I didn’t know z1 was in tn, also was wanting to get intake plenum spacer, HFC or res test pipes, and hr y pipe befor I went, but it just seems like clutch isn’t grabbing well power wise in first few gears, sometimes feels fine and pulls what I would call normal an then sometimes it just seems to rev up faster but the speed isn’t there as normal. Coming out of first shifting into second right befor 4K rpms at 20mph, I don’t know maybe I’m just being dumb and or too picky but thanks for all that has taken time to help

Search this Thread