Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350Z extremely hard to get in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Brett Mcmahon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z extremely hard to get in gear

Hi guys I’ve had my 07 for awhile now and I’ve complete a few basic modifications. It’s a daily driver but I like to have fun so I tend to drive aggressively. My problem is any time I’m moving I can put the car in 1st or 2nd. If I’m at a standstill I can put the car and take off totally fine. But rolling to a stop or anything like that I can’t downshift the car into first or second without a high rev match. The transmission just doesn’t feel the same but idk what it could be. I thought it was the clutch so I put and action stage 3 clutch in. Their concentric bearing failed so I just went to Napa and got an oem one which I am currently thinking is the problem but I’m unsure. The car just won’t shift into first or second easily rolling to a stop so if I’m coming to a light I have to completely stop before I can
put it in gear. Super annoying. If you could shoot some ideas of what you think is wrong I’d appreciate it
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

You should never be downshifting to 1st. That is your lockout that is making it difficult to shift to 1st when you are in motion. In terms of 2nd gear, I am unsure. In my experience and what I have read, usually 4th gear is the beginning of the end for the 350Z in terms of transmission problems.

How is it in the other gears? If the other gears are fine, then it's not your clutch. Has to do something with the gears themselves.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Brett Mcmahon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt know that about first. But it’s judt as hard to go into second too. The other gears feel fine. I upshoft normally and everything feels good. I have a lot of chatter from the clutch but I’m fine with that. It just feels odd not being able to shift to second when I’m coming to a stop.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:51 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

What fluid are you using?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:35 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Mcmahon
I didnt know that about first. But it’s judt as hard to go into second too. The other gears feel fine. I upshoft normally and everything feels good. I have a lot of chatter from the clutch but I’m fine with that. It just feels odd not being able to shift to second when I’m coming to a stop.
Couple of things.... could still be clutch related as a non-full-disengagement could prevent 1st and 2nd gear engagement due to the synchro set-up (or non-synch’d as it were).

You should have no issue engaging 2nd on a roll and should be able to engage 1st while rolling as well... very slowly of course, like roll up to a light is stop sign.

Related: I would caution you about putting another OE CSC in as you’re likely going to experience failure sooner than later. Nissan never really fixed the CSC fail issue. Go with the ZSpeed HD CSC or swap to their CMAK kit (converts to external slave).

Other thing to look into is your shifter alignment. It’s possible it was thrown out when you dropped the trans to R&R the clutch. Look for the couple of threads here on how to check and align it.