Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

03-05 350z engine opinoins. Worst or ok?

Old 04-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Skinzy98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03-05 350z engine opinoins. Worst or ok?

So I purchased an 03 350z used, that had a used like engine in it .I've had it for 3 weeks and already dropped around 1100 into it on repairs and it is currently in the shop having a compression loss on cylinder 2 being dealt with for another 300-500 at least .the mechanic told my family that the 03-05 350z engine was the worst engine Nissan has ever built, and that I should sell it when I get it fixed.

Is this true? Was this vq engine that bad? I love this thing, but being on my own in college is making keeping it extremely difficult to not just sell it and buy something more reliable for now .opinoins? I don't wanna sell it just because some mechanic I don't know said they're the worst engines Nissan has ever built
Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 AM
kristianLeal

The engines are great and they will last you a long time, only big downfall is the fact that a lot of them burn oil due to bad rings or valve seals which might be the cause of your loss of compression in cylinder 2

I have an 03 myself and i recently cracked my upper oil pan and the amount of work to get to it is harder than just pulling the motor from up top, and since my motor burns a crazy amount too i'm going to be replacing the engine hopefully. So i feel you when it comes to loving the car and being a college student as well i know how expensive it can be. But at the end of the day decide if its a car you plan on keeping for a while or short term.

Overall these motors are just a hit or miss.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Skinzy98

Originally Posted by kristianLeal
The engines are great and they will last you a long time, only big downfall is the fact that a lot of them burn oil due to bad rings or valve seals which might be the cause of your loss of compression in cylinder 2

I have an 03 myself and i recently cracked my upper oil pan and the amount of work to get to it is harder than just pulling the motor from up top, and since my motor burns a crazy amount too i'm going to be replacing the engine hopefully. So i feel you when it comes to loving the car and being a college student as well i know how expensive it can be. But at the end of the day decide if its a car you plan on keeping for a while or short term.

Overall these motors are just a hit or miss.

I feel ya on that .I'm starting to think this one's a miss .I've had it for 4 weeks now and it's spent more time in hack than it has in the road it seems .I am absolutely inove with this car, but the mknetary uokeep is killing me lol
Old 04-08-2018, 10:02 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

These engines are amazing.

What the issue is isn’t necessarily the engines burning oil. It’s the new type of Z owners since they dropped below the 10k price range are lazy, stupid and scammers.

They are too lazy and don’t care about actually trying to keep the car maintained, stupid because they drive them like idiots thinking they look cool in their new race car. And they scam because like you once they kill the motor and drive it into the ground they usually don’t disclose the sht care and pawn it off onto someone else to undo and repair all the bull sht they did to it.

If you treat these motors and cars like a normal person and not some idiot fck boy teen they will last you for ever and preform amazing. If you don’t they will cost you thousands and die like any other well designed and built sports car.

If you lost compression and it’s a money pit either sell the car and start over. Or buy a new motor and go from there. You can probably make at least half your $$ back from this motor assuming it’s not complete junk to fund the new one.

Last edited by CK_32; 04-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Skinzy98

Originally Posted by CK_32
These engines are amazing.

What the issue is isn’t necessarily the engines burning oil. It’s the new type of Z owners since they dropped below the 10k price range are lazy, stupid and scammers.

They are too lazy and don’t care about actually trying to keep the car maintained, stupid because they drive them like idiots thinking they look cool in their new race car. And they scam because like you once they kill the motor and drive it into the ground they usually don’t disclose the sht care and pawn it off onto someone else to undo and repair all the bull sht they did to it.

If you treat these motors and cars like a normal person and not some idiot fck boy teen they will last you for ever and preform amazing. If you don’t they will cost you thousands and die like any other well designed and built sports car.

If you lost compression and it’s a money pit either sell the car and start over. Or buy a new motor and go from there. You can probably make at least half your $$ back from this motor assuming it’s not complete junk to fund the new one.

I was possibly considering the engine replacement if I could get a loan on it. It has a used lkq engine in it, but would a like pretty much new crate engine be the best option and just continue to baby it like I have been? Is it possible to put one of the newer engines in it such as the ones from like the 06 and newer? I'm still fairly new to this car specifically and learning the insurance and outs. I baby my cars like crazy, and not the type to rag em out, as my car is pretty much my pride and joy lol
Old 04-08-2018, 10:15 AM
CK_32

No do not buy a crate engine. They are over priced for normal driving. Buy a used motor from a reputable importer or engine shop for $1,500-$3,000... A crate will cost you $8,000 to $10,000 alone.

And you can put a rev up (2006-2007) motor in these cars. But IMO they are worse than the standard DE motors and you would spend more in the long term than just getting another DE from a 2004-2005.

If you’re mechanically inclined and don’t need it as a daily I’d say work on it some more again assuming it’s not a total loss. If you lost compression it probably needs a new head gasket, possibly new rings. That would fix the compression but doesn’t mean other things on that motor aren’t on the way out from the lack of care and probably hard abuse.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:29 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinzy98
...the mechanic told my family that the 03-05 350z engine was the worst engine Nissan has ever built, and that I should sell it...
Ouch, my feels....

I agree with CK, mind you this is an old car, 03 Z/Gs are almost 16 years old. That's Alot of miles, abuse and mismanagement from many owners before you. However even tho the DE gets a lot of hate from kids on the Internet, and that it is not as good as the HR and VHR, it is a great platform if you do your research, and buy quality parts, and also keep up with regular maintenance. Unfortunately for your situation, you scored a Z with a bad history of abuse, failed maintenance or both.

Cheapest route is to buy a used motor out of another 03-05 G or Z, confirm it works and it's not low in compression and install. The one you have now will cost more down the road to fix.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Skinzy98

I really appreciate it you guys! I'm in love with this thing, it just hates my wallet lol .So where would you guys suggest I look into buying an engine from? I'm not exactly sure where a reputable source would be from lol as I've never had to replace an engine before lol.

I definitely would like to keep it if replacing the engine with something more reliable would be a good bet, just a matter of making sure it's a good onenlol
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

the mechanic told my family ...
what does he normally work on? I'm guessing he's stuck in another era.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Skinzy98

Originally Posted by jv350z
what does he normally work on? I'm guessing he's stuck in another era.
Hahaha he owns his own racing shop. Pearson racing .But he has also kinda been beating around the bush getting to my car
Old 04-08-2018, 11:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Let's start with the reputation of the VQ35DE. It's a world class V6 engine that's won multiple Wards awards for powerplant design. As far as design and manufacture, you'll find none better in the world of mass produced engines. Given proper maintenance and no abuse, it will last a long time. Sorry the OP has had to spend so much money on it, but that's what happens when purchasing a car without a proper mechanical inspection.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Skinzy98

Originally Posted by dkmura
Let's start with the reputation of the VQ35DE. It's a world class V6 engine that's won multiple Wards awards for powerplant design. As far as design and manufacture, you'll find none better in the world of mass produced engines. Given proper maintenance and no abuse, it will last a long time. Sorry the OP has had to spend so much money on it, but that's what happens when purchasing a car without a proper mechanical inspection.
The car ran fine for about a week with no issues .But then the radiator clogged and I figured it was just because it was the original. Then more started going. After doing some research I realised how ridiculous the mechanic was for saying that .this engines been in like every car they've made for the past 15 years and their race cars😂😂.

Any suggestions as to where to find a good used engine?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

the mechanic told my family that the 03-05 350z engine was the worst engine Nissan has ever built, and that I should sell it when I get it fixed.
Consider finding another mechanic ... the VQ has been a top 10 engine for years and what DK said...

I think the notion is people are getting 200k+ miles before replacing the timing chains?

And the burning oil...and it's not 'burning' oil it's consuming (if we wanna get technical) is more on the Rev-up isnt it? Which isnt an 03/04/05...

but, with that being said - no engine will last long if it's abused or neglected ... It seems to me the mechanic is ******* the engine to milk the repair bill.
Atreyu'z 350 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Skinzy98

Originally Posted by bealljk
Consider finding another mechanic ... the VQ has been a top 10 engine for years and what DK said...

I think the notion is people are getting 200k+ miles before replacing the timing chains?

And the burning oil...and it's not 'burning' oil it's consuming (if we wanna get technical) is more on the Rev-up isnt it? Which isnt an 03/04/05...

but, with that being said - no engine will last long if it's abused or neglected ... It seems to me the mechanic is ******* the engine to milk the repair bill.

Yeah I'm having the car towed from him tomorrow to a mechanic my dad is good friends with who has a lot of experience with jdm's in general. He's hunting to see if a replacement engine is my best bet atm
Old 04-08-2018, 05:43 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Yeah I'm having the car towed from him tomorrow to a mechanic my dad is good friends with who has a lot of experience with jdm's in general. He's hunting to see if a replacement engine is my best bet atm
Smart move ... always good to get a second set of eyes.

Its my opinion and in most cases its best to find a engine from a salvaged Z or G for $500 to $1000, add $500 to get it installed, $200 in fresh fluids/spark plugs/hoses/water pump/possibly a new oil pump and be on your way.

Something else to consider get your old block back and either sell it salvage for $100 - $200 or part it out yourself. If you can disassemble it keep it organized, list items on the forum or on craigslist/facebook/etc you'll easily make $500 - $1000

crank shaft $150 - $200 (assuming it's in good condition)
block $100
heads $100
valve covers $50
VTC Solenoids/cog gears $50
Coils $30
Misc sensors $30

Or hang on to some of the parts incase they go out on your car(if you have room to store them) ... regardless, some good meat left on those bones.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:17 PM
CK_32

Already sounds like the new mechanic has put more effort into the car than the Pearson shop who has the car has
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

or... sell yours off and buy this one

https://my350z.com/forum/zs-and-gs-f...-speed-mt.html
Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

+1 to everything up there..

OP, I have an '05 Z with the DE engine. Bought it a little over two years ago with 70k on the clock. It was a one owner car with all of the maintenance records from 2005 to 2016. It drove perfectly for me from day one at 70k. I put 130 miles A DAY on it and I've been doing that 5 days a week(sometimes 6) for over two years. It now has 138k and during that time frame it has not given me one mechanical problem. No noises, no leaking, no nothing. Just routine maintenance. I don't baby it and I don't beat it. Some spirited driving on the way home from work everyday, but other than that, just normal driving.. My point is these engines will last, IF you take care them.
bealljk (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Kevin Skene

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You're already in pretty deep, especially for being in college. Tough time to build a car. I can sympathize with the lack of time and money. Careful getting on forums, 20 "experts" are going to point you in 20 different directions. Generally speaking, these shops can buy used motors/parts from an online database (forgot the name of the site), but they're warrantied and the installer will extend that warranty to you. My friend who convinced me to get a Z got a low-mileage DE installed for $1800. Not a bad deal considering all the nickels and dimes you could spend on small parts to fix it up. A DE is NOT the best engine Nissan makes. That's a stupid claim, like saying a rock in the best wheel ever made. If it were the best, they wouldn't have made a Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3. But for driving around town and having some fun on the weekend, i'd just price around getting another one installed and getting the job done with a warranty.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

http://www.slidegood.com/nissan/03-n...e-assembly-95k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03-05 350z engine opinoins. Worst or ok?