Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

(idea) Sell Z for a SLK32 AMG???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:44 PM
erock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mind me, I'm just living vicarously(?) thru you....
Old 02-22-2004, 01:51 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by perucho
35oZephyR:

If Nissan made a hardtop convertible Z there would be no issue here, I would just keep the Z forever. However, I love the idea of a hardtop convertible and more power. I don't know why more manufacturers don't come out with these (I know the tiburon will have a hardtop convertible, but it's still a hyundai).
I guess the hardtop factor really cuts into the price of production for these cars. Aside from weight, the cost/profit margin between making it a rag top and a hardtop is too much for some manufacturers to gamble with. I guess they assume we all keep the top down 90% of the time.

Just in case you do abandon your Z. I'm with Erock on pushing you towards the NSX...or the M3 if the resources are there. Those two cars are DEFINITELY a step beyond the SLK IMHO.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Mr B

I'd take a NSX anyday over the Z. The SLK, eh... I don't know about that even if it is an AMG. Like everyone else stated, it's just outdated. You should look at the C32 or just a E500.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:54 PM
perucho

erock and 35oZephyR:

Your tag-teaming is making me change gears. I just went to the website that erock suggested and it's more tempting. Oh man...decisions decision. Just wondering, any other cars that you guys might consider (given same price and everything else)???
Old 02-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Just out of curosity, what would this car change do to your insurance?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:35 PM
hhseouljah

hmhm auto z...cool...i think you should really look into an e46 m3..those things are a blast...i dunno...i'm more an euro guy...and i think spending that much on a japanese car...i.e. over 30 for a used...is kinda iffy..but that's me....
Old 02-22-2004, 02:35 PM
hhseouljah

hmhm auto z...cool...i think you should really look into an e46 m3..those things are a blast...i dunno...i'm more an euro guy...and i think spending that much on a japanese car...i.e. over 30 for a used...is kinda iffy..but that's me....
Old 02-22-2004, 02:38 PM
erock

OT: Mr B. I LUV your sig, 'specially the 3rd one of Mercedes.... :yummy:
Old 02-22-2004, 02:57 PM
perucho

The wife just informed me that she likes the M3 better. So now I guess the options are more like the M3 and the NSX (AMG is out). You guys are presuasive
Old 02-22-2004, 04:06 PM
JeepRage

Originally posted by Hupperware
My girlfriend sold her 320 SLK 6 months ago. From experience, since Chrystler took over Mercades, it has gone to $hit. At 50,000 miles the car started having all kinds of electrical problems. Not to mention the fact that with a hardtop convertable it's heavy as hell. True it wasn't the AMG, but the car was SLOW. Not to mention the fact that the only girls that really loved the car were the sistas. That being said, by 2008 you will have visited the Mercades dealership for service more times than you would have Nissan for the Z... and the car will drop like a brick in value. She bought the car new for $45K... sold it 3 years later for $21K... over a 50% drop in value over 3 years isn't a good return on investment. Your Z will still be worth 51% of what you paid in 5 years.
You beat me to it. I don't care what anyone says, reliable doesnt go in same book as german. The Z is a great compromise as a bullet-proof, daily driver sportscar.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:14 PM
ml2316

i don't know how much an slk would be, but i second the nsx. or an 04 corvette.

also, the 3 series will be replaced within a couple of years so the m3 will look dated at that time (if you care). there's also the cts-v.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:28 PM
ml2316

can't edit post so... one more thing: you can get an 04 corvette for around 40k now that the new corvette is out. i know that contradicts my point about the 3 series looking dated in two years. but it's a corvette!! plus there are far fewer corvettes than 3 series, and it's a more exotic design, so i don't think it will look as dated.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:36 PM
perucho

The corvette is all powerful and everything but I don't like its looks that much. I consired buying a 2001 Z06, but it's just too big for me.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Mr B

Originally posted by erock
OT: Mr B. I LUV your sig, 'specially the 3rd one of Mercedes.... :yummy:
Noted and will tell her tomorrow.

Between an M3 and a NSX? No question, NSX! Daily driven, it's very reliable and actually a sports car. The M3 is heavy and compromised as a sports car cuz of that. If you can fit into that Acura, get that NSX!
Old 02-22-2004, 04:40 PM
perucho

How about this: Not sell my Z and possibly afford another sports car that incorporates the looks of the NSX and the hardtop of the AMG and twin turbos? I'm talking about the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder. I think I can find this car for under 20k which I can afford if I pay it over the next 5 years...I don't know. This is just crazy. I think I'm loosing it.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Hupperware

M3 engines explode, NSXs don't hold their value, MB has electrical problems... seems like if you want a car for the 5 years that you are paying on, you'll keep the Z.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:46 PM
perucho

I think the Acura is winning right now. The BMW is a close 2nd place. Maybe its the fact that I'm been working since 10am this morning (at work) and actually doing about 3 hours worth of real work, that's getting to me. I think I'll sleep on it and tomorrow I should have my final decision as to sell the Z and if so either get the NSX or M3.

BTW, should I expect the insurance cost to go up by a ridiculous amount if I get the M3 or NSX?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:14 PM
khagen

I was going to say CHECK YOUR INSURANCE RATES!!!! The cost of owning an exotic like the NSX has got to be higher than the Z. The 3000GT twin turbo will probably be twice as expensive as what your paying now (how old are you??) I have read a lot about the NSX and would love to own one, I could afford the payment but the insurance is friggin expensive!!! By the way, I think the pre 1997 X's are cheaper because that year with newer equiptment options and a boose in horsepower. If you are serious though, get the NSX. No problems as a daily driver, fast, and much better looking than a M3 in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:36 PM
NzZ

Default You are all over the place...

You're comparing 3 classes of car. Just b/c the purchase price is similar doesn't mean cost of ownership will be similar.

1st of all, NSXs are notoriously expensive to maintain. They are reliable, but every single repair is about 2-3x what it costs for a normal car. Mid engined cars with really low production cars are like that. ;-) Also, the NSX has been outdated for about 5 years. It's just not a value-for-money car at all.

Now the M3. If you switch cars every 3 years, the M3 is great b/c maintenance is free. But after those 3 years, BMW simply gouges you for cash. As many have stated, this is another car that will be replaced soon. The M3 has more power than the Z, but its ride and handling characteristics are very similar to the Z. Whatever you do, don't buy an early M3 as they are plagued with problems.

NzZ

Originally posted by perucho
I think the Acura is winning right now. The BMW is a close 2nd place. Maybe its the fact that I'm been working since 10am this morning (at work) and actually doing about 3 hours worth of real work, that's getting to me. I think I'll sleep on it and tomorrow I should have my final decision as to sell the Z and if so either get the NSX or M3.

BTW, should I expect the insurance cost to go up by a ridiculous amount if I get the M3 or NSX?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:42 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've loved NSX's since I was in highschool. When I look at the pictures today it's like "oooh nice...ah whatever"

But I saw one again on the road a couple days ago and this thing is a freakin jaw dropper. The roofline and it's crazy curvacious profile just turn heads like NO other in it's price range. Even ten years after it was first introduced this thing is STILL beautiful. A collector's car nonetheless. The targa top is awesome too!

The Mitsubishi spyder is a cool car too but isn't it going to cost alot to keep that car? Maintenance wise?

Quick Reply: (idea) Sell Z for a SLK32 AMG???