Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2007 350z Error Code P0011, unlike others

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:34 PM
CesarDH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 350z Error Code P0011, unlike others

Before I post this, I have extensively read about this code throughout this forum and others. This is my first post on the forum, I am usually on here looking around for other various info and has helped me out very much. I’d like to thank anyone responding with any information pertaining to the problem. Codes lists as, "Camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)".

The list of probable fixes that Z owners have used
•Change of oil
•Replaced camshaft position sensors
•Replaced crankshaft position sensor
•Replaced variable valve timing solenoid driver side
•Replaced or fixed timing chain position

I have a 2007 Nissan 350z with 145,000 miles. This code came up along with p0420 after I changed out my clutch. I had my test pipes installed but I didn’t run the Z much because that same night, there was a puddle of clutch fluid under my tranny and the clutch wasn’t engaging, it was a bad throw out bearing. Replaced the bearing, flywheel and pressure plate. The clutch kit is all stock and not after market. Next thing I knew I had a check engine for those two codes. I’ve been running the z for about 2 months like this. There is absolutely no difference from what the car felt like before the clutch replacement. I don’t feel any loss of power, no trouble starting and no rough idle or acceleration. Everything seems just fine. Oil pressure at idle sits at 35

Out of all the probable fixes I’ve listed, I have changed the oil (5-30) and filter, replaced all 4 camshaft positions sensors(Denso) and driver side variable valve timing solenoid (Dorman brand). I’ve ran the car for over 200 miles since I last installed the VVT Solenoid. What I will be doing next is changing the crankshaft position sensor.

So ladies and gentlemen, any takes on opinions of which direction I should take?

Last edited by CesarDH; 07-03-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:01 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Attached are the relevant portions of the '07 FSM related to P0011:

I've read that using aftermarket sensors, as opposed to OEM, still causes problems with throwing codes related to the cam and crank sensors.

The P0420 is likely related to the test pipes.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:33 PM
CesarDH

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Attached are the relevant portions of the '07 FSM related to P0011:

I've read that using aftermarket sensors, as opposed to OEM, still causes problems with throwing codes related to the cam and crank sensors.

The P0420 is likely related to the test pipes.

Good luck!

Thanks , you did much more than you had to, I appreciate the reply. I will def try to see if I can get an oem VVT.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Try cleaning the VVT solenoid. Might also be something very simple that was not installed correctly or an overlooked component that might have been damaged but not noticed. I was in a similar situation with another car that had an ignition issue with related CELs and turned out to be a slightly damaged tiny o-ring and spacer within the fuel pump assembly.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by CesarDH
Thanks , you did much more than you had to, I appreciate the reply. I will def try to see if I can get an oem VVT.
No worries. It looks like you did your homework. I have no problem helping out those that have done prior research before just asking some unintelligible question about an error code.
The following users liked this post:
CesarDH (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM
CesarDH

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Try cleaning the VVT solenoid. Might also be something very simple that was not installed correctly or an overlooked component that might have been damaged but not noticed. I was in a similar situation with another car that had an ignition issue with related CELs and turned out to be a slightly damaged tiny o-ring and spacer within the fuel pump assembly.
Yeah, your starting to make me think more about the crankshaft position sensor tbh. It around the area where the bell housing is and we took it all off. Maybe the connection was damaged or debris got into the sensor. Looks like a pain to get to but is doable from the engine bay. Thanks for the info