Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z Buyer (High mileage modded Z need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 AM
DanZee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Z Buyer (High mileage modded Z need advice)

Hello, I´m an 18 year old looking to purchase my first car. I found a very interesting modded Z with 154k miles. The seller says that he has babied it, replaced many failed components recently and has done maintenance on time, every time. The only thing that concerns me is the high mileage. The price is only 5500 and I just want advice on if this is a good deal or if I should keep looking for other Zs. Thank you. (I will add pictures of the car soon).

Mods:
Tein Coilovers
Crown Carbon 50mm widebody kit
ESR SR08 Bronze wheels
KSP Camber Arms (front and rear)
Carbon Z Tube pop Charger
and a pretty cool color shift wrap.

P.S. I am and have always been a Z fanboy.
P.P.S. The car is an AT, although I dont really have any issues with that since my commute to school and work usually has heavy traffic.

Last edited by DanZee; 07-18-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM
CamZRGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first z was an 04 6speed touring and it was full bolt on when i bought it with 149k. I put 20k miles on it in 6 months. never had any issues with the car. Didnt burn any oil or anything. I would just check it out real good mechanically. thats the big thing. Cosmetic stuff is easy to fix or live with but a bad motor isnt. Lol
Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Zester

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty cool shift wrap makes this a bargain.
On a serious note: you never know what you're getting with modified cars. I am staying away from them. I don't trust sellers 'cause mostly they all talk BS.
If you don't know around 350Z's take someone who knows about them or owns one.
Even with stocks cars and known history you can get a lemon. And with 350Z's parts are not that cheap. At least over here. Here, good cars, solid cars don't get sold if they are not mint.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2005 has 184k miles on it and has never had any serious issue. The typical cam / crank sensors, broken door handle, and other minor things. I've only had it a short time, but my brother in law put about 160k of those miles on it with zero issue. Note that he was good about changing the engine oil (never changed trans or diff) and basically only commuted in the car. I've driven the car like I stole it for the entire ~2k miles I've had it with no issues.

As for the price, there are several for less money in So Cal with less miles and stock, which should be preferred. Also I had an auto G35 and it was no near as fun to drive as the manual I have in the Z. I even drive it to work in terrible traffic a day or two a week and it is still more enjoyable.

Good luck, sir.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mully
Note that he was good about changing the engine oil (never changed trans or diff) and basically only commuted in the car. I've driven the car like I stole it for the entire ~2k miles I've had it with no issues..
Be amazed at how much better and smoother the car drives when you change out the drive train fluids at proper intervals.
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (07-22-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:14 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZee
Mods:
Tein Coilovers
Crown Carbon 50mm widebody kit
ESR SR08 Bronze wheels
KSP Camber Arms (front and rear)
Carbon Z Tube pop Charger
and a pretty cool color shift wrap.

ehhhhhh ... take this the right way ... but these arent (at least in my book) 'mods' ... you could call the cold air intake (that isnt doing much w/o a tune) a mod but the other items are just dress-up.

and on an automatic?

154k isnt low mileage but it's not high mileage either ...

if you like the car and think it's a good deal than pull the trigger on it.

Have you gotten insurance quotes yet?
khnitz (07-22-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 PM
DanZee

Yea, I have a shitty ML430 at the moment, and the Z is only 50$ more a year. So the insurance side is fine.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 PM
DanZee

He's recently replaced belts, brakes, tires, fluids, spark plugs and ignition coils.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^All good stuff ... if you like it and dont mind the automatic than go nuts! its only money!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 PM
DanZee

Originally Posted by Mully
My 2005 has 184k miles on it and has never had any serious issue. The typical cam / crank sensors, broken door handle, and other minor things. I've only had it a short time, but my brother in law put about 160k of those miles on it with zero issue. Note that he was good about changing the engine oil (never changed trans or diff) and basically only commuted in the car. I've driven the car like I stole it for the entire ~2k miles I've had it with no issues.

As for the price, there are several for less money in So Cal with less miles and stock, which should be preferred. Also I had an auto G35 and it was no near as fun to drive as the manual I have in the Z. I even drive it to work in terrible traffic a day or two a week and it is still more enjoyable.

Good luck, sir.
Hey Mully would you mind linking or telling me where those other Z's in so cal are? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:30 AM
BQPham

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my 2007 manual 350z 3 years ago with 142k miles, it currently has 158k miles and I drive her hard. It was bone stock when I got her and paid $5500, but i know Cali rates may be different for the market.

She still runs without a hiccup, no regrets. Note I do have an HR though, but if its auto you'll have a DE and not a REVUP. Better with the standard DE to avoid potential oil burn issues, but i would definitely get a manual.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:04 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI I've had my 05 with a DE for 8 years. I just hit 200k. This motor is a tank. Aside from a new primary timing chain tensioner, Oil changes throughout the drive train and spark plugs, I've had little to work on. It just has an oil leak. The revup and HR are more highly tuned so they may differ in life span slightly. Generally you'd have to look out for control arm bushings and ball joints before anything else. Stick your phone under the car and take some video to see if anything looks funny, and always take a friend for a second eye.

That said, check craigslist to see what the market is like for 350's specifically AT's. If this is well below market, caveat emptor.

Last edited by Cracka350; 07-19-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

My primary concern would be the 'widebody' kit. Possibly the car has been in an accident. And it's wrapped, what's the condition underneath, and were the fenders cut right and painted afterwards, etc...
This along with the list of ebay mods would make me cautious in buying it.

It could be a good car, but these are just my first impressions. If you look at it, pay attention to the oil pressure, and how the car shifts, in addition to what others have stated. The 'mods' don't add any value, especially in this case. Personally, I would try to find a closer to stock car.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 AM
DanZee

Just found a stock 05 touring with a MT for the same price.

126,000 miles on the stock

vs

154,0000 miles on the ¨modded¨ one

Both 5500.

The only thing I do not like is that the stock one is orange. And although the manual is so very enticing, the automatic seems like a safer option for me simply because I am a new driver and would rather focus on driving right now rather than driving and shifting. (at least until I have a year or so under my belt.)

I would love your guys opinions though. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Be amazed at how much better and smoother the car drives when you change out the drive train fluids at proper intervals.
For sure. After I changed all of the fluids the car felt smooth and tight as can be.

Hey Mully would you mind linking or telling me where those other Z's in so cal are? Thanks in advance.
Most of the ones I see are on Facebook marketplace. Just search "350Z" in the marketplace and there should be no less than 50 cars for sale. My buddy is looking into one now as well.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Just found a stock 05 touring with a MT for the same price.

126,000 miles on the stock

vs

154,0000 miles on the ¨modded¨ one

Both 5500.

The only thing I do not like is that the stock one is orange. And although the manual is so very enticing, the automatic seems like a safer option for me simply because I am a new driver and would rather focus on driving right now rather than driving and shifting. (at least until I have a year or so under my belt.)

I would love your guys opinions though. Thank you.
Well, you've gotta start learning to drive a stick somewhere, and the 6-speed tranny in the Z is about as good as it gets! But I'd also suggest you take it to a get a mechanical assessment by a Nissan tech BEFORE you buy anything. They charge a couple of hundred bucks and deliver a written report, so you know what will need work.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:59 AM
DanZee

Originally Posted by dkmura
Well, you've gotta start learning to drive a stick somewhere, and the 6-speed tranny in the Z is about as good as it gets! But I'd also suggest you take it to a get a mechanical assessment by a Nissan tech BEFORE you buy anything. They charge a couple of hundred bucks and deliver a written report, so you know what will need work.
I was planning on taking it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, but just at a local Meineke.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I would agree, if you actually want a manual, you should just find one now and learn on it. But keep in mind they will be harder to find 'clean' and at a cheaper price.

My first car was stick, I bought it and drove home, without ever having driven manual before. Although I had been driving farm trucks/ equipment before I even had a license.

The 'hardest' part is to get moving from a stop, but once you have that down shifting will become second nature, and it will be no different than automatic.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:45 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

+1 to chi

just plan on stalling out 6 or 8 times and you’ll soon get the hang of it!

Starting from a stop, on a hill, in rush-hour
khnitz (07-22-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:57 AM
DanZee

Just an update, the person with the automatic has come down to my price, and seems more enticing since the AT is bulletproof. I cant really afford to swap in a whole new trans if 3rd starts grinding or whatever the issue the 03 manuals have. Plus this car has a lot of the bolt ons I would love to do, and the seller is very straight forward, gave me the carfax and everything and I can see that he changes his oil every 3k miles for the past year or so.

Either way you guys withhold the experience so I look to you for guidance!

Quick Reply: New Z Buyer (High mileage modded Z need advice)