Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rear bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 05:02 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation Rear bump steer

Finally got my car on the ground. Was zipping through downtown Chicago and the interstate omw to work this morning with a couple other cars. The rear end seems to unsettle at high speeds over large cracks. Do you guys modify anything back there to stabilize that? I had a similar issue with the bimmer but after I tuned my shocks I and added a stiffer trailing arm bushing that all went away.

Just feels kind of squirrelly back there
Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
Finally got my car on the ground. Was zipping through downtown Chicago and the interstate omw to work this morning with a couple other cars. The rear end seems to unsettle at high speeds over large cracks. Do you guys modify anything back there to stabilize that? I had a similar issue with the bimmer but after I tuned my shocks I and added a stiffer trailing arm bushing that all went away.

Just feels kind of squirrelly back there
If you are running OEM Tokiko blues the car is known for that. What shocks, how many miles?
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 AM
Bmsluite

Bilstien B6 on OEM HR springs. They have about 80 miles on them now
Old 03-08-2020, 05:52 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,299 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
If you are running OEM Tokiko blues the car is known for that. What shocks, how many miles?
That's a little misleading. Tokico makes the OEM shocks but they are not "Blues" (Tokico's aftermarket units called the "HP")

Alignment specs? Sounds like toe is out of spec.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-08-2020 at 05:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:53 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I have the B8, that's a damm good shock! In that case you may have worn suspension bushings. You haven't stated your rate of speed for this problem or total mileage on car...
Old 03-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Bmsluite

100k on the car. I was doing about 115 mph. Toe is absolutely out of spec. I am waiting on some new wheels to come from China so I can get new tires and then get the alignment fixed. Can't get an alignment on worn tires though.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:13 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

100k on the car. I was doing about 115 mph. Toe is absolutely out of spec. I am waiting on some new wheels to come from China so I can get new tires and then get the alignment fixed. Can't get an alignment on worn tires though.
Running a buck 15 on worn tires with bad alignment?
terrasmak (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 08:45 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by jhc
Running a buck 15 on worn tires with bad alignment?
OH my man, I've done far far worse. I see dudes doing 115 in rusted out SUVS with completely blown shocks every single day
Old 03-08-2020, 08:47 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

You can get an alignment on crap tires, could it be off a little sure. Most places have a 1 year coverage on alignment.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,299 Likes on 2,347 Posts

OH my man, I've done far far worse. I see dudes doing 115 in rusted out SUVS with completely blown shocks every single day
And somehow that makes it all right. 😞
Old 03-08-2020, 09:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,143 Likes on 6,594 Posts

Think we have a new dugan contender
Old 03-08-2020, 09:49 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Don't be racing other vehicles on the highway and you won't have to worry about the "sway".
Old 03-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by MicVelo
And somehow that makes it all right. 😞
What makes it alright is its my life and there's nobody on the road at 4 am
Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
You can get an alignment on crap tires, could it be off a little sure. Most places have a 1 year coverage on alignment.
I admit, I actually did not know this. I was under the impression you needed new tires to get a correct alignment. Thank you for that info.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:51 PM
813_350Z

What makes it alright is its my life and there's nobody on the road at 4 am
Was zipping through downtown Chicago and the interstate omw to work this morning with a couple other cars.

100k on the car. I was doing about 115 mph.

So the first two posts tell me you were street racing..
I doubt those other drivers who, according to you, were there, but then again were not there, were just cruising at 115mph.

It's your life, yes, but whether you want to admit it or not because it makes you feel better about your reckless behavior there ARE others on the road, not just you. It is all fun and games until you wrap yourself around a pole at 120. Think it only affects you? I'd like you to accompany me the next time I have to tell a family that their loved one is not coming home.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
So the first two posts tell me you were street racing..
I doubt those other drivers who, according to you, were there, but then again were not there, were just cruising at 115mph.

It's your life, yes, but whether you want to admit it or not because it makes you feel better about your reckless behavior there ARE others on the road, not just you. It is all fun and games until you wrap yourself around a pole at 120. Think it only affects you? I'd like you to accompany me the next time I have to tell a family that their loved one is not coming home.
First off, I crashed a whole bunch of cars when I wore a younger man's clothes. I paid for all of them. I also crashed while no one was around. Never have I crashed into another vehicle. Never. Second, having done that I know the limits of a car. If you have not crashed a car you have no clue what the limits of your car are. Hence, you are afraid of speed because you do not know your vehicle. Finally, why do you have a sports car if you are not going to drive it as intended? Stay at the track. I used to street race yes. That was over a decade ago. Before the fast and furious franchise ruined it for everyone. People used to see us and think "those guys know what they are doing, they are good drivers. They built those cars and so they must be able to drive them". After fast and the furious every dumb kid in a Honda civic thought he was Paul Walker and they started to crash. Now everyone thinks "he must be reckless in a car like that". The point being, it's all about how you see it. It probably is reckless for you to go drive that like. Do not project your own skill upon others. Stay at the track.

Anyways, really do like this car. Think it's great, especially y for the money. Just want my wheels to get here so I can throw on summer tires and I don't have to do so much braking. Then I will go to the track and see how quick she is on smooth tarmac. Can't push it too hard on these roads with UHP A/S tires.

Thanks to everyone who responded to all my posts during the build all winter.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:09 PM
813_350Z

I also crashed while no one was around. Never have I crashed into another vehicle.
Yeah, no one has ever crashed into another car, until they do. 115 "buzzing" with other cars..bound to happen eventually.

Second, having done that I know the limits of a car. If you have not crashed a car you have no clue what the limits of your car are.
Crashing a car does not mean you know and/or exceeded the limits of the car. You could crash a Ferrari driving in a manner well under what it can handle. 9/10 its because the driver exceeded THEIR limits.

Finally, why do you have a sports car if you are not going to drive it as intended?
I drive mine as intended...at the track

I used to street race yes. That was over a decade ago. Before the fast and furious franchise ruined it for everyone.
Here we go...

People used to see us and think "those guys know what they are doing, they are good drivers. They built those cars and so they must be able to drive them".
I would hardly consider your car "built"

After fast and the furious every dumb kid in a Honda civic thought he was Paul Walker and they started to crash. Now everyone thinks "he must be reckless in a car like that".
...because you ARE reckless.

The point being, it's all about how you see it. It probably is reckless for you to go drive that like. Do not project your own skill upon others. Stay at the track.
It is reckless for ANYONE to do 115 on a public roadway, despite how much of a pRo DrIvEr / eX StReEt RaCeR you are there Coronavirus. You're racing in a vehicle that is not up for those speeds given its current symptoms. You're a risk to everyone around you. Simple as that.
[/QUOTE]

Old 03-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
Yeah, no one has ever crashed into another car, until they do. 115 "buzzing" with other cars..bound to happen eventually.

Crashing a car does not mean you know and/or exceeded the limits of the car. You could crash a Ferrari driving in a manner well under what it can handle. 9/10 its because the driver exceeded THEIR limits.

I drive mine as intended...at the track

Here we go...

I would hardly consider your car "built"

...because you ARE reckless.

It is reckless for ANYONE to do 115 on a public roadway, despite how much of a pRo DrIvEr / eX StReEt RaCeR you are there Coronavirus. You're racing in a vehicle that is not up for those speeds given its current symptoms. You're a risk to everyone around you. Simple as that.
[/QUOTE]

Did you really just mention Coronavirus? I have a good idea what sort of person you are. Are you a cop or something? Or just very motherly? I'll bet you believe in big government and wish there were cameras everywhere like the UK
Old 03-08-2020, 02:19 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,143 Likes on 6,594 Posts

Did you really just mention Coronavirus? I have a good idea what sort of person you are. Are you a cop or something? Or just very motherly? I'll bet you believe in big government and wish there were cameras everywhere like the UK
And you drive on public roads like a ****
813_350Z (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:34 PM
813_350Z

That is what Is holding up your rims, correct? I know one of your 3 posts on the same topic mentioned that.

Not really sure what relevancy that is to your reckless behavior and careless disregard for the safety of others. Not all that impressive though.

Quick Reply: Rear bump steer