Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone have the Z1 upper A arms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Anyone have the Z1 upper A arms?

As titled I'm trying to get some info on the adjustable Z1 upper control arms. Found out mine are squeaking. I lubed em up but that only a temporary fix.

I see they have that offset ball joint for extra caster. Which has been my #1 complaint with this car from the beginning, lack of caster. There is no weight in the steering wheel.

Does anyone have them who can tell me how they feel the steering has changed after the arm install? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:54 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

What do you mean about the offset joint the stock one isn't centered, most aftermarket will be the same. I have kinetix and they are ok, personally I'd suggest getting arms that aren't adjusted at the joint.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:02 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
What do you mean about the offset joint the stock one isn't centered, most aftermarket will be the same. I have kinetix and they are ok, personally I'd suggest getting arms that aren't adjusted at the joint.
In order to change caster you change the imaginary line going through the upper and lower ball joint of the suspension. So if you move the ball joint even more forward you change the caster. Problem is they aren't saying on their site how much the moved it forward.

I found other arms from Australia that come with shims allowing you to move the caster +/- 1 degree. A whole degree of caster can make it feel like a whole new car. Think the difference between a miata's steering feel and a Porsche. It's drastic. I love caster. I am also a big guy so the extra steering weight doesn't make it too hard to turn the wheel. For a 110 woman, maybe
Old 06-21-2020, 05:23 PM
DarkZ03

I know what caster is lol, I'm saying that the Z1 arms are modeled off of the stock ones. AKA the stock arms are offset and not centered.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 PM
Bmsluite

I know what caster is lol, I'm saying that the Z1 arms are modeled off of the stock ones. AKA the stock arms are offset and not centered.
So there seems to be only three arms that actually can change caster. The SPC ones cost a stack so those aren't in the cards lol.

The Z1 arms claim their ball joint is more offset than stock.

Then there is thing company which uses shims on the mounting points to move them further forwards/backwards for +/-1 degree of caster change.

The only thing I know for sure is moving the mounting points forward or back is exactly how my brother in law did it to change caster on his trophy truck.

Technically as long as that ball joint moves forward should all do the same thing.

Thoughts?

Old 06-21-2020, 07:45 PM
DarkZ03

Ok I see what they advertise now, honestly since they don't actually give you a number I don't know if i want to believe them or not. Look at their pics and then look at the kinetix, they look the same and kinetix doesn't advertise changing caster.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 AM
Bmsluite

Ok I see what they advertise now, honestly since they don't actually give you a number I don't know if i want to believe them or not. Look at their pics and then look at the kinetix, they look the same and kinetix doesn't advertise changing caster.
Right, those were my thoughts exactly. I did shoot Z1 an email asking about the actual caster change so we will see what they say. Changing the ball joint location from the mounting point seems a better idea than offsetting the ball joint more. Maybe it makes no difference. I'm not going to bust out a white board and my old statics textbooks to figure it out though.

That Australian company also has some lower control arms they claim change caster even more. By 2 or 3 degrees. Seems like a serious amount to mess with caster
Old 06-23-2020, 10:56 AM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you run their race upper with heims for the inner pivots instead of bushings you can adjust the caster a little by threading one side in more than the other. The heims don't have high misalignment spacers, so you won't be able to get much but it might be enough to change your steering feel. For what it's worth I have Z1 race uppers and my steering is heavy as hell, though that could be my steam roller 285s up front. I can't remember my caster setting off the top of my head, but the steering feel is great.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:29 AM
THIRZTY

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

The Z1 arms will work... but your alignment guy is going to want to punch you in the face. The pivot bolts or ball joint have to be removed to make adjustments.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Bmsluite

I pulled the trigger on the GKtech ones that adjust the caster with the spacer. As far as camber goes, honestly, I think I'm just going to set up the arm the same length as the OEM ones and the just turn them equally like 4-5 times.

That should leave me with about 1.8 degrees of camber in the front. Combined with the increased camber I will gain in corners with the extra caster I think that should decrease my understeer somewhat.

Its not really going to be possible to align it perfect side to side for cambe rim the front. Since I have OEM springs on Bilstiens you have to literally take the strut out to get the arms off to adjust the upper arms. No alignment guy is going to go through that. And if they would, they would charge me a million bucks to do it lol. A couple points of a degree difference isn't going to hurt anything