2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

my future plans for my 04 350z

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Randallflagg
Yeah, not for $800! I figured it would be about the same, no idea it would be 5lbs heavier! I like the look but to add 5lbs I'm thinking its not the best idea.
Obviously every hood is going to be a little different, so I shouldn't make a broad statement like that but 'most' fiberglass/cf-in-lay will be a little heavier that stock. I gutted my OEM hood and it's down to 13lbs. I believe dry cf hoods are around 10 to 15lbs
Old 08-05-2020, 04:05 PM
skylight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't planning on running the hood for weight reduction, I'm not even planning on stripping the interior. This is meant to be a solid, semi-fast, daily. The hood is completely for aesthetics, and I may remove it just because it's extra money I don't need to be spending as an 18 year old. I appreciate everyone's input so far, I will be making constant updates to my list on parts I have bought/installed, or any changes in parts (i.e. ITBs instead of the plenum, or adding upgraded lines/engine mounts as well)
Old 08-05-2020, 07:04 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

ITBs will be in place of your manifold. Since you are still here I'll try to help you see the light, I wanted to go the NA route and then realized it wasn't worth it as many are saying in this thread. A set of Jenvy ITBs is about $5k and requires a standalone ECU to run. What you arent seeing about Sasha is he races, this is his job, and as part of something like that you get knowledge and contacts that can help you. You need super aggressive cams and the car will run like crap if you aren't racing. I took that knowledge and said $5k for ITBs or $5k for a supercharger kit..... the choice becomes much clearer at that point, you are buying the engine regardless, and you will need the same fuel and accessories with both. $5k for 50hp or $5k for 100+hp. You can guess which i picked, NA will never get you where you want, oh and also if you don't want to put a hole in the side of the block like Sasha did while revving high enough for those cams and ITBs you need a dry sump set up which is also very expensive. Both will only be as reliable as the setup and tuning, the choice is yours, boost was my final choice.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:35 AM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are looking for NA power, you are better off doing an LS swap and being done. LOJ Conversions in New Jersey quoted me around 20k for a swap. You will have that and more in your DE to get the same NA power.
The following users liked this post:
skylight (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 11:06 AM
skylight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
ITBs will be in place of your manifold. Since you are still here I'll try to help you see the light, I wanted to go the NA route and then realized it wasn't worth it as many are saying in this thread. A set of Jenvy ITBs is about $5k and requires a standalone ECU to run. What you arent seeing about Sasha is he races, this is his job, and as part of something like that you get knowledge and contacts that can help you. You need super aggressive cams and the car will run like crap if you aren't racing. I took that knowledge and said $5k for ITBs or $5k for a supercharger kit..... the choice becomes much clearer at that point, you are buying the engine regardless, and you will need the same fuel and accessories with both. $5k for 50hp or $5k for 100+hp. You can guess which i picked, NA will never get you where you want, oh and also if you don't want to put a hole in the side of the block like Sasha did while revving high enough for those cams and ITBs you need a dry sump set up which is also very expensive. Both will only be as reliable as the setup and tuning, the choice is yours, boost was my final choice.
This is what I was looking for when I came here. This is also amazing info, so thank you. I do understand the reasoning, and I would prefer going supercharged instead of turboing (unless it's two smaller inline turbos), if I was going the FI route. After this comment, I'm pretty convinced it's the way to go to get the power I'm looking for.

Do you have any suggestions of good supercharger kits for the Z?

Last edited by skylight; 08-06-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: question
Old 08-06-2020, 04:03 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Personally I like the HKS kit, that's what I bought. It's a less common kit for sure and that's why i wanted it even more. Everyone and their mother has the Vortech kits, although for a reason they are good and proven. I've heard and seen many supercharged Zs in person and the HKS sounded the best to me by a huge margin, followed by the Stillen and then the Vortech. Stillen won't give you the power you seek so that's out. So it's basically between the other 2 kits. I would suggest some research and go through some build threads here to help your decisions.
The following users liked this post:
skylight (08-06-2020)