Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

my future plans for my 04 350z

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM
skylight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile my future plans for my 04 350z

I got my 04 350z touring in late 2019, knowing I was going to be putting time and effort into making it a daily I can take to the track at any time, that is also super reliable. My goal is 400-450 whp naturally aspirated, taking advantage of every single horsepower gain I can, to make it as reliable as possible. I have started with this list. It has all of the parts and prices for me to do this, I am hoping to be half way to the savings goal by the end of 2020, so I have some time to finish up this list with anything I may have missed that I will need to achieve the power I am looking for. Right now, I'm guessing with this list I would make around 350-380. Any help is appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
jhc (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

not a bad looking list... i had prt tune my 350z, and while i really like Steve, i would almost rather have driven it to austin to have UpRev do it
Old 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Good Luck! Keep us updated!
skylight (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Welcome, but I see one big omission to your list. The nut behind the wheel needs some work and getting some driving lessons should be job #1 to help you exploit all the features of your Z. While modding your Z sounds good, until the driver has the skills to use it properly, it's just a waste..
MicVelo (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:23 PM
skylight

Originally Posted by travlee
not a bad looking list... i had prt tune my 350z, and while i really like Steve, i would almost rather have driven it to austin to have UpRev do it
I have excuses I could use to take some trips down to Austin, but I know I'll need a tune after a lot of the installs that I'm doing, so I'd rather keep it local (DFW area).
Old 08-04-2020, 03:27 PM
skylight

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome, but I see one big omission to your list. The nut behind the wheel needs some work and getting some driving lessons should be job #1 to help you exploit all the features of your Z. While modding your Z sounds good, until the driver has the skills to use it properly, it's just a waste..
Yes, I completely agree, a pro behind a stock car would dominate a beginner in a pro car. I'm doing some personal practice in my car when it's running, and I'm planning on getting a g27/g29 setup for my pc for some sim practice in assetto corsa for drifting and to learn manual, as my car is currently automatic (I know manual swap is left off of my list, it's because they are frequently bought near me so when I have the money saved up, I'm just going to impulsively buy it and do the swap)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:23 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

All due respect, but you cannot fully learn how to drive, shift or control a Z from virtual learning. Consider looking up your local SCCA solo (autocross) schedule or track day. They're cheap and instruction is available. You'll be amazed at what there is to learn. And if you're in the DFW area, there's some pro driver schools to consider as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
bealljk (08-05-2020), skylight (08-04-2020), SonnyWu (08-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:53 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

Originally Posted by skylight
I have excuses I could use to take some trips down to Austin, but I know I'll need a tune after a lot of the installs that I'm doing, so I'd rather keep it local (DFW area).
Trailer it....would suck on cost, but to have who designed the software doing it....

but with Steve, you can buy a gun or ammo at the same time.
skylight (08-04-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:09 AM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

For that desired power level ITBS are a must.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 AM
skylight

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
For that desired power level ITBS are a must.
Ohhh, I never thought of this. Thank you, thats an amazing idea!

edit : Would that setup work with the plenum I'm planning on getting? I feel like it would create some weird fitment issues under the hood.

Last edited by skylight; 08-05-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: question
Old 08-05-2020, 09:55 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I got my 04 350z touring in late 2019, knowing I was going to be putting time and effort into making it a daily I can take to the track at any time, that is also super reliable. My goal is 400-450 whp naturally aspirated, taking advantage of every single horsepower gain I can, to make it as reliable as possible. I have started with this list. It has all of the parts and prices for me to do this, I am hoping to be half way to the savings goal by the end of 2020, so I have some time to finish up this list with anything I may have missed that I will need to achieve the power I am looking for. Right now, I'm guessing with this list I would make around 350-380. Any help is appreciated!
am I hearing you correctly?

You want 400 to 450hp out of a 2004? so a DE engine?

And you think you'll be around 350 to 380hp with your supplied list?

I dont want to poo poo all over this thread but you'll be lucky to hit 300hp on a DE engine - even with spending that much money! Let along 380hp, let alone 450hp!

You're gonna spend $10k on an engine that can make 300hp(realistically) NA (to which not very many people have successfully accomplished) or you could spend $5k on a turbo charged stock engine make 400 to 450hp all day long which is very achievable and documented hundreds of times.

do you what you like and dont let me stop you (it's your time and your money) but I would think long and hard and find as many examples of people pushing their DE engines past 300hp (and you'll find very few) before spending $10k on an engine.

Regardless of what you do - please start a thread and document your progress. If nothing more the fellow members here who have engine building experience can help you along the way!

Last edited by bealljk; 08-05-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:16 AM
skylight

Originally Posted by bealljk
am I hearing you correctly?

You want 400 to 450hp out of a 2004? so a DE engine?

And you think you'll be around 350 to 380hp with your supplied list?

I dont want to poo poo all over this thread but you'll be lucky to hit 300hp on a DE engine - even with spending that much money! Let along 380hp, let alone 450hp!

You're gonna spend $10k on an engine that can make 300hp(realistically) NA (to which not very many people have successfully accomplished) or you could spend $5k on a turbo charged stock engine make 400 to 450hp all day long which is very achievable and documented hundreds of times.

do you what you like and dont let me stop you (it's your time and your money) but I would think long and hard and find as many examples of people pushing their DE engines past 300hp (and you'll find very few) before spending $10k on an engine.

Regardless of what you do - please start a thread and document your progress. If nothing more the fellow members here who have engine building experience can help you along the way!
You certainly did hear me right! I'm aware it is a DE engine, and for the most part can tolerate 350 whp and still run halfway decent. That's the reason for the main cost of the stage 1 built engine from PPE, so it can withstand up to 600 hp, even though i'd be running a N/A 400 hp set up so it'd be well within it's means. Here is an example of a 400+ hp N/A 350z that has a non-built HR motor, so I know it's possible with enough time and money. After I near the end of my list, I may end up turboing it and making even more power if I get a new daily, because the original point was a reliable, fast daily.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 AM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I may have missed it but I didn't see any Oil Cooler on your list. Might want to do that and also get a larger Power Steering cooler.
skylight (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:03 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

You certainly did hear me right! I'm aware it is a DE engine, and for the most part can tolerate 350 whp and still run halfway decent. That's the reason for the main cost of the stage 1 built engine from PPE, so it can withstand up to 600 hp, even though i'd be running a N/A 400 hp set up so it'd be well within it's means. Here is an example of a 400+ hp N/A 350z that has a non-built HR motor, so I know it's possible with enough time and money. After I near the end of my list, I may end up turboing it and making even more power if I get a new daily, because the original point was a reliable, fast daily.
The DE can take 450hp all day long with near-OEM reliability … with a turbo/supercharger.

Yes, that is an example of a 400hp NA VQ engine, he's the exception and not the rule … And if you know anything about Sasha, he could be the god-father of the VQ engine. That engine is bored to 4liters, custom cams, custom heads, custom ITBs, hours and hours of research and development and being pushed to within a coot-hair of it's life. There is nothing remotely close to OEM reliability to that engine. Furthermore, he is a professional tuner and he probably has hundreds of tuning hours into that car.

To think you can replicate this with OEM, reliability, longevity, and ease of operation would be short-sighted … but do as you like! I'd love to see it come together.

Last edited by bealljk; 08-05-2020 at 11:30 AM.
skylight (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:18 AM
skylight

The DE can take 450hp all day long with near-OEM reliability … with a turbo/supercharger.
Are you sure? I've seen/heard of stock blocks cracking or blowing with under 450 hp, but it could've been a bad block. However, I don't trust my current block what so ever. The car so far has already given me countless oil/coolant leaks that I've fixed most of so far, and blowing an engine however possible, because if I do, I would get the one already in the list, wouldn't be the most amazing thing. Just my personal take on the idea.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:45 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Are you sure? I've seen/heard of stock blocks cracking or blowing with under 450 hp, but it could've been a bad block. However, I don't trust my current block what so ever. The car so far has already given me countless oil/coolant leaks that I've fixed most of so far, and blowing an engine however possible, because if I do, I would get the one already in the list, wouldn't be the most amazing thing. Just my personal take on the idea.
Been doing something 350z related for 14years now and it's pretty common knowledge that the OEM block can take around 400ft-lbs of torque before you bend a rod (400ft-lbs is around 450hp). Look what Old Man Z did with his OEM block - well into the 500hp range but his torque is still in the 400ft-lb range. And if you dive into his threads he has multiple 'slightly' bent rods, and hence he is doing a rebuild. I don't think these blocks consistently 'crack' when they take too much power. Possibly lifted heads, I really don't hear too much about piston failure but bent rods are the weak point when everything goes right except too much ignition timing.

but from my experience - people try and try and try to push the DE and they come close to 300hp NA but rarely above it.

Last edited by bealljk; 08-05-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:50 AM
skylight

Been doing something 350z related for 14years now and it's pretty common knowledge that the OEM block can take around 400ft-lbs of torque before you bend a rod (400ft-lbs is around 450hp). Look what Old Man Z did with his OEM block - well into the 500hp range but his torque is still in the 400ft-lb range. And if you dive into his threads he has multiple 'slightly' bent rods, and hence he is doing a rebuild. I don't think these blocks consistently 'crack' when they take too much power. Possibly lifted heads, I really don't hear too much about piston failure but bent rods are the weak point when everything goes right except too much ignition timing.

but from my experience - people try and try and try to push the DE and they come close to 300hp NA but rarely above it.
All great info for me to hear! Would you suggest I take the boosted route with the engine I have to try to make it to my goal then? My main goal is longevity for this car, as well as it having 400 hp. Not getting to 400 hp as fast as possible to race for a bit till I blow my engine or start a new project.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Randallflagg

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Few things I noticed, probably want some long tube headers instead, don't forget seat brackets, CF hood is probably not a weight savings at all, may run into issues running the oil pan spacer and the high capacity oil pan.

Looking forward to the build!
skylight (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 12:20 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^unless the hood is dry carbon fiber! A wet cf hood is approximately 5lbs heavier than a stock hood. If anyone wants to discuss weight savings please let me know...

Sky - you do whatever you like and whatever you want - it's your car and your money, so ultimately it's your decision - I'm along for the ride and I'll be as helpful as I can. But you wont hit higher than 300hp without a turbo or a supercharger.

a 400hp turbo'd VQ will last 200k miles as long as you maintain it properly, don't neglect, nor abuse it...you'll have regular upkeep and maintenance expenses just like any vehicle but that's just the nature of anything with moving parts.

Last edited by bealljk; 08-05-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:35 PM
Randallflagg

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

^unless the hood is dry carbon fiber! A wet cf hood is approximately 5lbs heavier than a stock hood. If anyone wants to discuss weight savings please let me know...
Yeah, not for $800! I figured it would be about the same, no idea it would be 5lbs heavier! I like the look but to add 5lbs I'm thinking its not the best idea.

Quick Reply: my future plans for my 04 350z