Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Let's play "What's in this pumpkin"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 03:22 PM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Let's play "What's in this pumpkin"

Today's game show will be a picture of a diff pumpkin. Specifically the one that is in my vehicle.

I had to take out an output shaft out of my diff so I can get the right diff from OS Giken. I am seriously considering it.

Well, I took a shot of the inside because "why not". I expected to see a round shaft bc I have an 07 base so open diff.

Buutttttt..... There's a SQUARE shaft in there. WTH is this? Anybody know?

Old 09-10-2020, 04:05 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Possibly one of those "Phantom Grip" things.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:50 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

I think that might just be the natural shape of the cross shaft but not entirely sure.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:03 AM
Bmsluite

Here's a picture I found of a type 2 torsen differential out of a miata. Look familiar?

Old 09-11-2020, 12:38 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Do a burnout and see what happens.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Do a burnout and see what happens.
Well I did that.

I count two stripes gentlemen.

I always thought this car felt like it had a diff in it. I honestly thought I was crazy but apparently I'm right. Idk what's in that pumpkin but it sure isn't an open diff.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:06 PM
DarkZ03

Odd, I wonder what you have? Maybe you do need some wide boys out back lol. Or just start with bushings for now.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:22 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Odd, I wonder what you have? Maybe you do need some wide boys out back lol. Or just start with bushings for now.
Already got the boys out back. 275s and I still break them free anytime I want. My car is faster than normal HRs though. I've blown away I think 3 of them now. Other HR equipped cars that is. All I have is an exhaust system.

As for the diff idk man. I have never heard it pop so either its a high end clutch type or a helical. It feels way too predictable to be helical though.
​​​​
I guess the situation is reversed now and I will be the one giving you a ride to see what an LSD is like in these cars lol

Last edited by Bmsluite; 09-12-2020 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:53 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't mean to be a downer, but I am pretty sure you have an open diff. I have never seen an aftermarket Z lsd with with only 2 spiders.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by GreyZ
I don't mean to be a downer, but I am pretty sure you have an open diff. I have never seen an aftermarket Z lsd with with only 2 spiders.
Two spiders? What are you talking about?
Old 09-12-2020, 02:37 PM
DarkZ03

That's the name if the little gears in there. Funny enough my previous car made more power out of less mods when compared to other Zs on the dyno that day. Even the guys at SP were surprised at my numbers vs the other cars there that day.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:39 PM
DarkZ03

Just seems weird to have traction issues with 275s, I don't with 245s at least not when they were new. DEs make more torque in the low end too
Old 09-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Bmsluite

It IS OPEN. Just did some doughnuts and it's a one wheel peel. One tire fire.

I definitely have traction issues. I subscribe to the "slow in, fast out" driving style. I get on that throttle as soon and as hard as I can right after I hit the apex.

I heard from someone in the auto industry who made engines that said that engines are all over the place in how much power they actually make. Some cars can be up to 30 hp higher than others. Especially after 100k miles. All depends on the type of steel they cast those engine components out of that day. There are so many variables that affect the metal.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:02 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
I heard from someone in the auto industry who made engines that said that engines are all over the place in how much power they actually make. Some cars can be up to 30 hp higher than others. Especially after 100k miles. All depends on the type of steel they cast those engine components out of that day. There are so many variables that affect the metal.
If brand new cars in large numbers varied between -30whp when purchased new especially one with only ~300 crank hp, there would be quite a few class action lawsuits. Mazda and a few other manufacturers had to deal with this several years ago when a large number of dynos found cars were significantly down on advertised power. Most manufacturers today under quote power due to this reason.

350zs after XX years with 100k miles, could easily be varied and short of 30 whp, especially if it wasn't maintained which in turn caused excessive wear over time that includes the motor and drive train. Its less likely the metallurgy in the block than it is the owner at >100k. When I bought my Z new in 05 most of the members here (far more abundant then) were posting consistent dyno numbers as nearly all members had new cars with low mileage, same with the HRs when they came out.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:43 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
If brand new cars in large numbers varied between -30whp when purchased new especially one with only ~300 crank hp, there would be quite a few class action lawsuits. Mazda and a few other manufacturers had to deal with this several years ago when a large number of dynos found cars were significantly down on advertised power. Most manufacturers today under quote power due to this reason.

350zs after XX years with 100k miles, could easily be varied and short of 30 whp, especially if it wasn't maintained which in turn caused excessive wear over time that includes the motor and drive train. Its less likely the metallurgy in the block than it is the owner at >100k. When I bought my Z new in 05 most of the members here (far more abundant then) were posting consistent dyno numbers as nearly all members had new cars with low mileage, same with the HRs when they came out.
I honestly can't really argue this point at all because it's just something some guy told me one time. Just to be clear though, he wasn't saying some cars have 330 hp and some have 270. He just said that st the extreme end of the spectrum one car could have 315 and one car could have 285. A 30 hp difference on the extreme side.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:49 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Definitely possible. My '97 WS6 with 1.6 rockers, a Borla cat-back, K&N filter, and an underdrive pulley dyno'ed higher than guys with the same mods plus LT4 heads/cam and longtube headers. I got a Wednesday car.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:12 AM
mr. sparco

I am not saying what you're stating is untrue, only that when comparing used 350zs today, there is much more at play than the casting material especially on a high mileage car. I know that the GTR of the same year can vary in power depending on who hand built it from the factory. Though that was corroborated by Nissan press release.

Let's play "What's in this pumpkin"-bdw1avz.jpg

Edit: To stay on topic if this comes up in a search, the easiest way to figure out if you have an open diff is to stop on a semi steep driveway with one rear wheel in the air. In an open diff, the car will get stuck and not move. I creep through a similar ^ driveway daily with ease, while my neighbor's open diff 370z gets stuck. Had to help her push her car every time she tries to enter at a slow angled approach.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 09-13-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:19 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I am not saying what you're stating is untrue, only that when comparing used 350zs today, there is much more at play than the casting material especially on a high mileage car. I know that the GTR of the same year can vary in power depending on who hand built it from the factory. Though that was corroborated by Nissan press release.

Edit: To stay on topic if this comes up in a search, the easiest way to figure out if you have an open diff is to stop on a semi steep driveway with one rear wheel in the air. In an open diff, the car will get stuck and not move. I creep through a similar ^ driveway daily with ease, while my neighbor's open diff 370z gets stuck. Had to help her push her car every time she tries to enter at a slow angled approach.
Yeah back to topic, do you have an aftermarket LSD? If so, how you like it? The only one I am considering is the OS Giken. The whole build is like 2k. I'm trying to figure if that's worth it. I originally bought this car with the intention of fitting an LSD but now 2k seems like a lot for only helping those few times I burn a tire in a corner. Granted it will allow me to go drifting again but man is that a sketch hobby.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:26 AM
mr. sparco

I have an oem G37 vlsd pumpkin, got it for the 3.69 final drive. The vlsd is great for daily and getting through steep driveways. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than daily. Having driven friends' 350/370z with built rear diffs over the years, it just wasn't worth the $2-3k cost to me, obviously it depends on the end purpose of your z. I am, however, looking at 3.9 or 4.08 final drive gears, the stock 3.53 is a slug, never going back again.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:50 PM
DarkZ03

That's what I've been telling him, that 3.69 VLSD is just too much of a good deal compared to a built one, plus you get the aggressive gearing for "free". I happen to want that 3.69 gear for my car. I'll be supercharged so I don't want a 3.9, but alternatively I don't want the 3.58 either so its a good middle ground. Only reason I haven't tracked down a 370z or g37 pumpkin is I have a VLSD now and with my power level goal I will want to have an actual LSD to pair with the 3.69.

Quick Reply: Let's play "What's in this pumpkin"