Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Car starting, then dying after a few seconds

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 06:40 PM
Lyleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car starting, then dying after a few seconds

I pulled my 05 rev up out of winter storage a few weeks ago and installed the kinetix velocity manifold and cleaned throttle body.

The car needed to be jump started and it would start, but it would rev to 3k ish and then all the dash lights come on and it sputters and dies after a few seconds. I went over the installation process again and made sure I did everything right. I made sure the intake and throttle body were tight so there are no leaks. Tried the idle and throttle body resets. Got codes P0102 and P0113 which I read were related to the MAF sensor so I turned the car on with MAF unplugged and it idled around 2500rpm steadily with all the dash lights still on. Thought this was the problem so I bought a new OEM one... still doesn't idle. I figured that I broke the throttle body by moving the valve inside while cleaning so I bought a used one to test... still doesn't idle.

I'm wondering if it's a voltage problem because of the dash lights so I'm going to put a new battery in tomorrow night(old one is basically dead anyway)
Also could be a bad fuel problem because it sat over the winter with no stabilizer, although I'm not exactly sure how to test this and don't want to drain the tank of 94 with these gas prices lol.
If anyone has experienced this or has ideas I would greatly appreciate the input.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:43 PM
Lyleri

Just finished replacing the battery and she idles although it is very rough. Looked at codes and there is a P0300 random cylinder misfire code. Weird thing is that I had a misfire last summer and I replaced all the spark plugs and coil packs and fixed it. I have test pipes so the cats aren't the problem. I also read that it could be cam position sensor. I replaced the straight sensor on the driver side last summer as well but it could be one of the other sensors?

Going to top the tank up with some fresh fuel and double check for any intake leaks tomorrow.

Anything else to check?
Old 04-17-2022, 10:15 AM
Sundown72

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

You said it was in storage?

Bad battery was a good place to start.

Check your alternator operation while the vehicle is running (~14V)

Check your ignition wiring. It’s easy to swap the plugs for cyls 4/6 and 3/5 if you’re not paying attention.

Bad fuel clogging injectors could be another culprit if it’s been sitting.

Crank sensor and cam sensors are also something to consider. Crank usually gives a code that’s not “Bank X” specific.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Sundown72

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Perform reset/relearn between each repair to mitigate carry over of residual issues.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:01 PM
Lyleri

ok its finally fixed. I ended up taking it to the dealership for an unrelated airbag light and asked them to do a diagnosis while it was in. They figured that the gasket between the heads and intake runner was leaking so I ordered them and started taking stuff off the car. As I took the intake manifold off I noticed some black marks on the gasket it comes with... so maybe it was just that gasket leaking the whole time? Either way I installed the new gaskets, tightened the intake manifold really good and she runs perfect again.

Now to install CAI, fuel pump and afr gauge for tune!