Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2007 350z ETC engine code

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 07:13 PM
cforsyth0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 350z ETC engine code

Hello everyone. After about 2 years of owning my 07 Touring 6mt Z I decided that the oil pressure had fallen below my comfort zone and did the gallery gaskets. I took lots of pictures, kept everything neat, and the car went back together (mostly?) fine. I replaced the timing chain tensioner, chain guides, water pump,. gallery gaskets and VTC cover O-rings while I was inside there. The car runs great. No weird sounds, does not overheat, power is good. Oil pressure about 30 psi at hot idle. The only issue I have is that the car occasionally throws a code: P1238. This is an "ETC actuator bank 2" code. Obviously this leads one to believe something is wrong in the throttle body system... but the engine runs and responds fine. Idles at 650 RPM, throttle response is great, no weird uncommanded revs or throttle. Today after being clear for about a week the car threw the code again and this time went into limp mode. VTC off and slip lights were on. Scared me shitless. Turned the car off and behold, upon starting again no more limp mode. I've cleaned the throttle body plates, checked engine bay grounds, cleaned the MAFs and MAF connectors, and reset the battery. I don't know where to go on this. The car runs and drives perfectly, I can't seem to find any issue to point me in the right direction. If any of you have seen something like this, any input at all would be massively appreciated. I love this car and I just spent nearly $2000 on paintwork making it look brand new. Not to mention the labor of doing gallery gaskets. Once I fix this code the car will be in my eyes flawless, and I want it to be that way because I hope to keep it until I am old.

P.S. I don't actually know where the throttle body position sensor connector is. If anyone does, I would like to know so I can clean it.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:11 PM
EJohn

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ETC engine code

Originally Posted by cforsyth0
Hello everyone. After about 2 years of owning my 07 Touring 6mt Z I decided that the oil pressure had fallen below my comfort zone and did the gallery gaskets. I took lots of pictures, kept everything neat, and the car went back together (mostly?) fine. I replaced the timing chain tensioner, chain guides, water pump,. gallery gaskets and VTC cover O-rings while I was inside there. The car runs great. No weird sounds, does not overheat, power is good. Oil pressure about 30 psi at hot idle. The only issue I have is that the car occasionally throws a code: P1238. This is an "ETC actuator bank 2" code. Obviously this leads one to believe something is wrong in the throttle body system... but the engine runs and responds fine. Idles at 650 RPM, throttle response is great, no weird uncommanded revs or throttle. Today after being clear for about a week the car threw the code again and this time went into limp mode. VTC off and slip lights were on. Scared me shitless. Turned the car off and behold, upon starting again no more limp mode. I've cleaned the throttle body plates, checked engine bay grounds, cleaned the MAFs and MAF connectors, and reset the battery. I don't know where to go on this. The car runs and drives perfectly, I can't seem to find any issue to point me in the right direction. If any of you have seen something like this, any input at all would be massively appreciated. I love this car and I just spent nearly $2000 on paintwork making it look brand new. Not to mention the labor of doing gallery gaskets. Once I fix this code the car will be in my eyes flawless, and I want it to be that way because I hope to keep it until I am old.

P.S. I don't actually know where the throttle body position sensor connector is. If anyone does, I would like to know so I can clean it.
Frist how many miles do you have on the car? Asking because I have an 07 that I have that has 240000 miles that I have owned since new.

Second there is not a way to clean the throttle position sensors. BTW, if I'm not wrong there are two sensors on each throttle body. I refur to them as primary and secondary, my understanding is they must match with a certain offset. If they do not it is possible to get the p1238 code.

Question, do you have the FSM (factory service manual)? There is a write up on trouble shooting problems like this in the manual.

Lastly if you decide to replace the throttle bodies, check out the Z1 Motorsports web site. They have Nissan oem parts at good prices.

Post up any questions you may have. I'm sure help is available here.

Good luck.
Earl John.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:22 PM
cforsyth0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car has ~150k miles.

I know of the FSM on Nicoclub but even in the 07 Z section it seems to be for a DE engine.

So if there is no way to clean them, is the best bet to just replace the whole throttle body? I only see one connector going into it. I think you can buy the black plastic actuator assembly separately though?
Old 07-27-2022, 09:26 PM
EJohn

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cforsyth0
Car has ~150k miles.

I know of the FSM on Nicoclub but even in the 07 Z section it seems to be for a DE engine.

So if there is no way to clean them, is the best bet to just replace the whole throttle body? I only see one connector going into it. I think you can buy the black plastic actuator assembly separately though?
As far as the FSM you might want to check with RockAuto under the Nissan and then 350Z section there's a listing for literature and you'll see there that they offer the factory service manual I don't know where else to get it. that's where I bought the one I have from think it was $20 on CD.

If you decide or know that you need to change your throttle bodies check with Z1 Motorsports they have throttle bodies and they have them in stocks, and the prices can be pretty good compared to what a dealership charges.

BTW, if I can find the throttle body that I took a part I'll try to post up a picture.

Good Luck
Earl John
Old 07-28-2022, 07:55 AM
bar1ow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the link I use for the 350Z FSM, no 2008 but there is a 2007.
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/350z/