Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Where to buy a Nissan 350z Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:50 PM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where to buy a Nissan 350z Transmission?

Hello!! I am wondering if it is possible to know the best place to buy a CD009 Transmission? Aswell as what is a good/average price to find them at? Is this one good?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18583764216...3ABFBM8oCcx-ph

Also how can I tell what is a CD009 vs a 03-04 model transmission?

How About This One?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32552243612...Bk9SR_SAnMfqYQ

Last edited by Tech Territory; 04-05-2023 at 06:55 PM. Reason: add another link
Old 04-05-2023, 07:43 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech Territory
Hello!! I am wondering if it is possible to know the best place to buy a CD009 Transmission? Aswell as what is a good/average price to find them at? Is this one good?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18583764216...3ABFBM8oCcx-ph

Also how can I tell what is a CD009 vs a 03-04 model transmission?

How About This One?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32552243612...Bk9SR_SAnMfqYQ
Ridiculous for questionable quality.

Do yourself a favor and spend a few hunskis more to buy a NEW CD00A (new replacement for original CD-001 thru CD-009, DE applications only.) New, warranted.

Available through Nissan or any of the Z-specific vendors like Z1 or ConceptZ just to name a couple.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/manual...90bc67bc2acd90

Reference on ID: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/608460-upgrading-to-cd009.html

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-05-2023 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BORNGEARHEAD (04-06-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 10:08 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Hello again Tech,

Most used CD009s will have lost their factory identification sticker on the bell housing (flakes off over time). So the best way to tell is by getting a picture of the VIN tag on the side of the transmission. From there you can lookup exactly which year/trim Z/G it came from using a VIN decoder website (free). I would not purchase a used 6MT without this.

In terms of fair market prices, just some anecdotal information. Recently I sold my spare CD009 (106k mi, worked perfect) with a low mileage OEM VLSD (55k mi) as a combo package for $1100 cash. The buyer got a sweet deal and although I knew the items were worth more, it was a local pickup and I didn't have to deal with freight, plus I really want my garage space back (been cluttered with Z parts for 5 years now). It's really amazing how many low-ballers are out there in today's market, even with my asking price already low at $1000 for the trans, I was getting offers for $500-700, laughable, but that's the East SF Bay Area I guess. Sometimes I do believe the Z33 has become the new Honda Civic, so many kids buying cars they abuse and can't even afford to maintain. The buyer commented that he wanted what I offered simply because I posted a pic of the trans VIN tag (to prove it came out of a 2006.5). Apparently none of the other sellers on FBM did that (and there were 2-3 other sellers asking 1100-1300 for used CD009s in the area, with unknown mileage/condition). I would have driven 300+ mi to get the deal I gave that guy! But folks out here want you to knock 50% off the price for a 45min drive to come pick up. Talk about entitled.

Sorry....ranted for a bit there...Had to vent!

Anyway, it's going to be tough finding an honest seller on places like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Lots of scammers out there, or simply those who are ignorant and don't realize the differences. Specialty dismantlers have prices very close to buying new, so unless you can do a local pickup with one and/or negotiate the price down, you're better off buying new as Mic suggested. Yes, it's more expensive (about 2k + shipping/tax, not terrible to be honest, oh and NEW units include the heavy duty clutch fork + throw-out bearing), but the performance, reliability, and peace of mind are worth it! Especially if you're planning to keep the car for a long time. Also, these transmissions hold their value. They are a common choice for project cars, engine swaps, and the like. But who knows, maybe if you broaden your search, you can find someone parting out a Z. Another alternative is monitoring the local Pick a Part type yard (Pull a Part or Pick N Pull). 350Zs/G35s are starting to show up in these places now, but the odds of finding a 2006 6MT that hasn't already had the drivetrain picked are low. I've visited a few of my local yards for 350Z stuff and every one I looked at already had the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and differential removed after only 2-4 weeks in the yard.

Not sure which option works best for you. To get the best deal, time/effort/labor will be a factor. If it was me, I would just buy new and be done with it. The car parts used market in my area is trash for the most part. For every one honest seller, there are probably 10 shady ones.
Cheers!
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 04-05-2023 at 10:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icer5160:
EJohn (04-06-2023), khnitz (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 07:10 AM
bre240z

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

My 04 6MT is running fine with no issues so far.... knock on wood . If the time ever comes to replace my transmission I would be purchasing a new one from the dealer or any of the Z specific shops online. Yes its more expensive but piece of mind is paramount. Save another grand and get yourself a new one.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:27 AM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hello again Tech,

Most used CD009s will have lost their factory identification sticker on the bell housing (flakes off over time). So the best way to tell is by getting a picture of the VIN tag on the side of the transmission. From there you can lookup exactly which year/trim Z/G it came from using a VIN decoder website (free). I would not purchase a used 6MT without this.

In terms of fair market prices, just some anecdotal information. Recently I sold my spare CD009 (106k mi, worked perfect) with a low mileage OEM VLSD (55k mi) as a combo package for $1100 cash. The buyer got a sweet deal and although I knew the items were worth more, it was a local pickup and I didn't have to deal with freight, plus I really want my garage space back (been cluttered with Z parts for 5 years now). It's really amazing how many low-ballers are out there in today's market, even with my asking price already low at $1000 for the trans, I was getting offers for $500-700, laughable, but that's the East SF Bay Area I guess. Sometimes I do believe the Z33 has become the new Honda Civic, so many kids buying cars they abuse and can't even afford to maintain. The buyer commented that he wanted what I offered simply because I posted a pic of the trans VIN tag (to prove it came out of a 2006.5). Apparently none of the other sellers on FBM did that (and there were 2-3 other sellers asking 1100-1300 for used CD009s in the area, with unknown mileage/condition). I would have driven 300+ mi to get the deal I gave that guy! But folks out here want you to knock 50% off the price for a 45min drive to come pick up. Talk about entitled.

Sorry....ranted for a bit there...Had to vent!

Anyway, it's going to be tough finding an honest seller on places like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Lots of scammers out there, or simply those who are ignorant and don't realize the differences. Specialty dismantlers have prices very close to buying new, so unless you can do a local pickup with one and/or negotiate the price down, you're better off buying new as Mic suggested. Yes, it's more expensive (about 2k + shipping/tax, not terrible to be honest, oh and NEW units include the heavy duty clutch fork + throw-out bearing), but the performance, reliability, and peace of mind are worth it! Especially if you're planning to keep the car for a long time. Also, these transmissions hold their value. They are a common choice for project cars, engine swaps, and the like. But who knows, maybe if you broaden your search, you can find someone parting out a Z. Another alternative is monitoring the local Pick a Part type yard (Pull a Part or Pick N Pull). 350Zs/G35s are starting to show up in these places now, but the odds of finding a 2006 6MT that hasn't already had the drivetrain picked are low. I've visited a few of my local yards for 350Z stuff and every one I looked at already had the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and differential removed after only 2-4 weeks in the yard.

Not sure which option works best for you. To get the best deal, time/effort/labor will be a factor. If it was me, I would just buy new and be done with it. The car parts used market in my area is trash for the most part. For every one honest seller, there are probably 10 shady ones.
Cheers!
-Icer
Thanks so much, for me in Idaho there are no local options unfortunatley so I may just have to buy it new :/ Thanks so much for the help Icer, really apreciate it