Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2005 Convertible Top Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 11:04 AM
billybronco1

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2005 Convertible Top Issue

So the day for the first time I noticed when I'm retracting the top and it is about 3/4 the way down it slows down to almost a stop for a few seconds then sluggishly continues the rest of the way down. Also when putting it up at stops for a second in the same spot. Is this he symptom of new spider straps needed? I looked at them, they appear in good shape but most likely have lost there elasticity, hard to tell not knowing what they are supposed to feel like. They also look original because they are riveted in. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:35 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

It could be the elastic straps or one of the motors going out. Or, the channels just need a good cleaning and lubrication. I would start there as that's the easiest thing to do. Side note: my elastic straps are riveted in and it's not an original top. If a top replacement is done correctly, the straps are replaced and riveted like from the factory.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:03 AM
billybronco1

Well I have been working on this a little bit and things have gone from bad to worse. First I replaced the spyder bands and that did not seem to make any difference. Second I lubricated all the joints I could find and siliconed all the rubber, that did not make any difference.

To reiterate what my first symptoms were, the top would go three quarters of the way down then slow way down to an almost stop for several seconds then it would go completely down. This was something new and seemed abnormal. Watching some videos out there it was not the norm. Keep in mind this is the 2005 and it has two electric motors one on the left and one on the right.

Now the top only works intermittently. Sometimes it will go halfway and stop and will not go any further. Other times it won't move at all up or down and stays in the position it was. Sometimes it works fine. When it does not move I hit the button and hear a sound of the latch releasing and that's all. If I wait a half an hour and go back to the car sometimes it works. I can't really seem to find much information on this setup as far as YouTube's seems like they're all about the 2004 and earlier with the fifth bow motor setup or the 370Z with hydraulics.

I do not know what to do next. I started to take the motors out thinking I could bench test them or something but I'm afraid they are spring loaded or something because they don't want to really just pop out so I get nervous and bolted it back in. Also was concerned if there was some kind of alignment or timing that I might mess up not sure if the motor just turns no matter which position is put in.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:11 AM
Heel Til I Die

There's a series of contact switches that tell the motors the position of the roof and when to function. It might be a bad one or it's sticking.

I used to have the problem when putting the top down, it would stop at random points and if I toggled the switch a couple times, it would retract all the way. I cleaned the contacts on the switches and no problems since then. That might be your problem, might not. Hard to diagnose over the internet.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:17 AM
billybronco1

I realize this is a complicated system and I'm just getting into it for the first time. Lots to learn here and I found the fifth bow motor what is tightly sandwiched into that plastic thing. I also learned that the two motors in the trunk have separate functions one is for the tonneau cover in one is for the top. This morning I went out to the car and the top was half open so I tried to close it to get access to the fifth bow motor, it would not move so I banged on the plastic area where the motor was and voila the top went down, that gives me confidence that the brushes are probably bad in that motor. Now I will get the Band-Aids out and try to figure out how to get that motor out, I looked in there and only can find one bolt, I'm sure the rest are there I just don't see them yet, tight quarters!
Old 09-05-2023, 06:56 AM
Heel Til I Die

Sounds like the 5th bow motor is the culprit. That "banging trick" works whenever the window motors are going out. The brushes get worn down. Since the motors look similar to the window motors, you could try replacing the brushes themselves.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:46 AM
billybronco1

I found some old post, one said how many bolts and screws but I can't find the post again, does someone have a count or a pic location? Also there where post on where to buy the brushes but the links are no longer working. Does someone have a part number or a known source for the brushes? Thanks I will figure this our!
Old 09-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Heel Til I Die

Here's the 5th bow repair thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-photos.html

Before you freak out since the pictures are gone, just go to post #144

There's a lot of good info in that thread about the brushes, sizes, dis/assembly, etc.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2023, 10:11 AM
billybronco1

Okay thanks, I did get the motor out and looked at the brushes, they did not look terrible but could be short.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:17 AM
billybronco1

Still don't know where to find the brushes though, as I said the old links no longer work.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:01 PM
billybronco1

I do see there are plenty on Amazon for sale but the next question would be what size to buy? I can measure the widths from the old ones but how long should the new ones be?
Old 09-08-2023, 04:49 AM
billybronco1

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Here's the 5th bow repair thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-photos.html

Before you freak out since the pictures are gone, just go to post #144

There's a lot of good info in that thread about the brushes, sizes, dis/assembly, etc.

Good luck!
That is a great link so much detail and the pics and videos are there. I can only find one place so far to buy the right size brushes but they are from China with a 2 week wait. I ordered 4.5mm x 4.2mm x 8mm hope those fits perfectly.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:22 AM
billybronco1

There's a series of contact switches that tell the motors the position of the roof and when to function. It might be a bad one or it's sticking.

I used to have the problem when putting the top down, it would stop at random points and if I toggled the switch a couple times, it would retract all the way. I cleaned the contacts on the switches and no problems since then. That might be your problem, might not. Hard to diagnose over the internet.
Can you tell me where to looks for these relays? I have replaced the spyderbands, lubricated all moving joints, siliconed all rubber and put new brushes in the 5th bow motor (tested ok). When I push the button to put the top down, it releases at the tonneau cover, that's it no other movement.
Old 09-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Heel Til I Die

Attached is the roof section of the FSM. Their locations are found on page 11.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rf.pdf (5.22 MB, 21 views)
Old 09-12-2023, 05:11 PM
billybronco1

Attached is the roof section of the FSM. Their locations are found on page 11.
Thank you, there is some very helpful information in this document, I wish I saw that early on but I'm getting very familiar with this roof setup. But what I decided to do is take out the 5th bow motor again and make sure it was working because nothing else was happening. The windows would go down in the seat would move forward in the tonneau cover would unlock but that's it. Come to find out the motor was not working and after disassembleing and looking closely at the brushes one was stuck. The brushes I bought have the wire riveted on the end, and the rivet is getting in the way of the spring to push on the brush so the spring does not stay in the plastic groove correctly. I bought brushes that were 5 mm by 5 mm and had to send them down to make them fit what seemed okay but I'm not sure what to do about the spring dilemma I'll play with this more tomorrow. I wish there was a good source for the correct size and fit brushes then they'd be no issues and an easy fix.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:27 AM
billybronco1

Okay here's my latest update, took the 5th bow motor out again did a modification to the brushes and the motor works fine I put it back in and nothing happens. Take the motor out and it works fine. Same thing windows go down, seat goes forward tonneau cover releases and that's it.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:46 AM
billybronco1

Question about the 5th bow motor mine turns the same direction all the time even if I push the up or down button is that correct doesn't make sense? I hold the button up for a few seconds until the motor stops then I push it to go down and it's still turns the same direction.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:28 AM
billybronco1

Originally Posted by billybronco1
Question about the 5th bow motor mine turns the same direction all the time even if I push the up or down button is that correct doesn't make sense? I hold the button up for a few seconds until the motor stops then I push it to go down and it's still turns the same direction.
I have been busy with other stuff, have not had time to deal with this, but want to get back into it now. Please someone tell me if this 5th bow motor should turn in the same direction when the top button is pushed for up or down. My motor always turns the same direction, for about 15 seconds for up and about 10 seconds for down then stops, thanks.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:40 PM
billybronco1

Digging through lots of old post some people have posted the exact same scenario with mine but I never saw a solution. My windows go down, the seat goes forward, and the the t tonneau cover releases. That's it. If I take the fifth bow motor out and lay it there it goes through the same sequence and I see the motor turning. It always turns the same direction if I push the switch up or down I'm thinking of buying a new fifth bow motor but hate to waste my money if that's not the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:56 AM
billybronco1

Where is the soft top control module located?

Quick Reply: 2005 Convertible Top Issue